VTL - a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matt

That looks a very neat build.

Chris -

The compensation circuit for my triangles is

L = 3.2mH

Z = 4.7Ω 25w resistor

in parallel with each other and in series with the speaker positive lead.

Mid (500-2kHz) is brought down but the extreme HF goes up slightly - this is due to the resistor, so adding that alone would help.

This value was measured by Ted Jordan and it helped balance out the recessed lower mid/upper bass which made spoken voices sound rather lean. You could always assemble using a couple of connection blocks to see if it worked before soldering. In any case, I'd recommend keeping the circuit outside the enclosure for ease of modification. (You could always box it separately.)

The 48 MLTL goes deeper than the VTL and has more bass weight. I've yet to try the 31 MLTL to see how that compares.

Colin, there was mention in a previous thread in regards to trying (2) Jordan 92s in a single 48 MLTL cabinet with good results. If one were to build an enclosure which houses both 92s drivers, what would be the optimal volume and dimensions?
This is a little off topic, but I'm afraid my curiosity has gotten the better of me :)

You would need to double the cross sectional area (from 30 to 60 inches^2) and modify the port (I can't help with that bit). Alternatively, you could build two back to back if you were able to use them well clear of walls.

I'm not sure what you'd gain apart from increased output. I think you'd lose focus and imaging with having two drivers per side. You'd keep the precision and have more headroom if you ran a single JX92 to 100Hz or so and allowed a bass unit to take over from there (or a single powered sub).

Try the single MLTL first and see how you enjoy your CDs when you get to explore below 45Hz ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.