• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

vt25 in pre amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sheldon said:

Cool. Problem is, I don't know this stuff well enough to really explain it well. If I had basic competence in LT Spice, I'd sim it. Gotta learn that.

Sheldon

You have simply to derive again the expressions of new impedances using the complex vectors and will get a new formula.

Attachments

• rlc.jpg
    rlc.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 724
Thanks 45, but I couldn't make sense of the numbers by just plugging in values for our circuit. I did get LT Spice to work (I think). At least the graphs made sense as I played with values. In this circuit, by the time the load resistor reaches 100k, the phase at 20 Hz, varies only by about 8 degrees from a circuit without the inductor (19 vs. 27) The difference at 20Hz is zero as the load resistor is increased to 200k (19 vs. 18.5). Logically the the slope is a little steeper with the LC circuit, but it's monotonic. I think one can safely say, that at these values, the RC constant of the C and load dominate the outcome. As for audibility; well, speaker effects will be far greater at these frequencies.

Sheldon

Did a little more play with the Spice model. The frequency of the resonance point does move around with changes with the resistance in series with the cap. But it doesn't change that much. That aspect appears largely unimportant for this purpose. Of course, changing the cap value does change the frequency in proportion to the cap value. So, as 45 noted, the major effect of the resistance is to dampen the resonance. However, the damping is essentially complete at these values, so that there is no dip in level or warble in the phase response.

BTW, it only takes three components to model pretty well; voltage source, inductor, and cap. The respective resistances can all be entered as part of the component characteristics, e.g., ESR for the cap, DCR for the inductor, and Z for the source.

Sheldon

Sheldon said:
Did a little more play with the Spice model. The frequency of the resonance point does move around with changes with the resistance in series with the cap. But it doesn't change that much. That aspect appears largely unimportant for this purpose. Of course, changing the cap value does change the frequency in proportion to the cap value. So, as 45 noted, the major effect of the resistance is to dampen the resonance. However, the damping is essentially complete at these values, so that there is no dip in level or warble in the phase response.

BTW, it only takes three components to model pretty well; voltage source, inductor, and cap. The respective resistances can all be entered as part of the component characteristics, e.g., ESR for the cap, DCR for the inductor, and Z for the source.

Sheldon

Do you have a plot of the phase as function of frequency for different values of the resistor?

Cheers,

Yes, as noted earlier, with the inductor in the circuit and 100k load, the phase rotation is about 28 degrees, and about 19 degrees without. With the inductor, the cap or load resistor can be increased to bring the phase rotation to the same as without the inductor.

Sheldon

How much do you need to increase that resistor when using the choke?
Anyway you could be a bit limited by the requirement of high input impendance from the power amp.

I think that for few volts output swing a 2.2-3.3uF high quality cap would sound "transparent".
I did it in a power amp and worked very well using the SCR's MPK.

Cheers,

Either doubling the cap or doubling the resistor brings the phase rotation at 20Hz to about 18 degrees. I recommend downloading SwCADIII. It's free on Linear's web site. http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/ltspice.jsp And, a circuit like this is perfect to learn the basic functions. It's reasonably intuitive, as these things go. I'm a raw neophyte, but can show you how to do this simple circuit. I've found PSUD very useful, and I intend to play more with this one.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.