VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ranchu,

It is the SMPS300RE. I bought it directly from Connex but in the future I will buy it from the folks at the link I provided. The shipping is half as much and much quicker since they are in Oregon. For those in other countries that may not be the case. The output is adjustable from +-34.6vdc to +-38.6vdc. I also hooked it up to my Variac and the voltage stayed constant whether the input was 110Vac or 122Vac. I'm pretty impressed. I measured about 1.2mVac at the output. Pretty low ripple.

Hi Jason,

Yeah, the 500R puts out 500w. I guess with class A you may need that much but I played the Symasym hard today and that PSU didn't even break a sweat. The 500R is $20 more too. Looking forward to your impression of the bigger unit.

Blessings, Terry

Last edited:
Another update...

I'm impressed at how quick delivery to Australia was, I expected longer. Just a few more to go...

still4given - 2 - Delivered
ivanlukic - 2 - Shipped
quan - 2 - Delivered
triplej - 2 - Delivered
baswamin - 2 - Shipped
potepuh - 2 - Shipped
spind - 2 - Delivered
brianco - 2 - Delivered
Sheldon - 2 - Delivered

Here's hoping some of you guys get a chance to build these up shortly. I would like to get some feedback regarding layout and things like ease of construction and set-up. My goal will be to evolve this and place a new order when some 'massaging' has been done. Any constructive suggestions welcomed and will be taken into consideration.

Hi Ranchu,

It is the SMPS300RE. I bought it directly from Connex but in the future I will buy it from the folks at the link I provided. The shipping is half as much and much quicker since they are in Oregon. For those in other countries that may not be the case. The output is adjustable from +-34.6vdc to +-38.6vdc. I also hooked it up to my Variac and the voltage stayed constant whether the input was 110Vac or 122Vac. I'm pretty impressed. I measured about 1.2mVac at the output. Pretty low ripple.

Hi Jason,

Yeah, the 500R puts out 500w. I guess with class A you may need that much but I played the Symasym hard today and that PSU didn't even break a sweat. The 500R is $20 more too. Looking forward to your impression of the bigger unit.

Blessings, Terry

Hi Terry,

Have you compared the smps directly with the cap multiplier psu? Thanks.

Terry,

One of the reasons I went with the SMPS500R is to support multiple channels off one PSU. I'm seriously thinking I'd like to do a 5 channel HT amplifier loaded with VSSAs and wanted more flexibility with the configuration.

----------

freeman,

Personally I'd think one SMPS300RE per pair of channels is likely fine, though there is no harm in separate PSUs if your wallet will stand it ;).

Hi Jason. I am thinking of HT amp using VSSAs modules as well but will probably using linear Psu instead.
Quan

A regular linear supply should be fine, just be reasonably generous with the filter capacitance and consider CRC to keep ripple lower. You might consider a capacitance multiplier if you want a really clean supply without using an SMPS or linear regulation.

On the home stretch...

Just two more to go, hopefully these arrive shortly.

ivanlukic - 2 - Shipped
quan - 2 - Delivered
triplej - 2 - Delivered
baswamin - 2 - Delivered
potepuh - 2 - Shipped
spind - 2 - Delivered
brianco - 2 - Delivered
Sheldon - 2 - Delivered

Almost completely fulfilled...

Awesome! Just one more to go...

ivanlukic - 2 - Delivered
quan - 2 - Delivered
triplej - 2 - Delivered
baswamin - 2 - Delivered
potepuh - 2 - Shipped
spind - 2 - Delivered
brianco - 2 - Delivered
Sheldon - 2 - Delivered

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.