• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Hi guys :wave:

Let me be clear, VSSA is among simplest most capable and good sounding little discrete amps ever. If possible use exact parts from sch post #301, for that is what I guarantee it will pleased each and everyone of you. And please, less talk more build is my advice, no regrets. :cheers:

P.S. I assembled SSA (all possible variants), TSSA (prototype), CSA (final PCB), VSSA (all possible variants) and to some sceptics, all these are stable reliable builts. ;)

Attachments

• DSC08003.JPG
    DSC08003.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • DSC08004.JPG
    DSC08004.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 1,853
  • DSC08005.JPG
    DSC08005.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 1,182
  • DSC08006.JPG
    DSC08006.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • DSC08011.JPG
    DSC08011.JPG
    585.9 KB · Views: 1,753
Hi Shaan,

Is that the 1.4 version of VSSA? what current source did you use?

Hi fred.

Here are the details. My build is closer to the attachment of the first post of this thread, with some preferences which are:

1. 10uF nonpolar electro coupled input.
2. 16V psu. Hence 10k current source resistors(I thhink 6k8 would be more adequate for this voltage, though).
3. 2k2/100R feedback network.
4. 2200uF/16V feedback cap(alone, nothing in parallel).
5. BD139/140 VAS, no heatsink.
6. 22ohm VAS degenerator.
7. 100uF onboard supply decouplers.
8. No Zobel.
9. Hitachi FET output.
10. Two diode FET bias(old habit :) ).
11. And just a 200k in parallel with the -ve current source resistor locks the offset to +1mV.

Very nice build, congratulations Shaan! :up:

So, wich one sounds best to you - your version of the SSA or the VSSA?

Thanks Paulo.

VSSA, although that simple an amp, has the same 'standstill' effect as the SSA, i.e. the whole music piece feels live, especially with eyes closed(causing goosebumps), huge soundstage(what you too have noticed in your SSA). I can listen to it all day; no fatigue.

So, to me, both these amps are equally excellent sounding gadgets. But VSSA wins the trophy as it has superb offset characteristics and gives the same level of quality and satisfaction with almost half the parts count. :up:

VSSA 1.4 on original 50 x 60 mm double layer PCB with ALF double mosfet is a way to go if you want the best out of it. No compromise, shortest connections with VAS pair on the main heatsink, all other variants are inferior believe me, tested them all. Besides look to the pics and plots in my posts, they're explainative enough. :yes:

Hi LC. :wave: No doubt about that. However, as circumstances force, different builders will always have different preference by default. I know well why 1.4 version is superior(and all interested fellow diy-ers are humbly requested to follow that version, as much as possible). I won't contaminate your thread with a "shaan" (?!) version schematic or pcb. My personal quest was to check exactly how good or bad the very first idea works when built on the ground of my preferences and my circumstances. It exeeded all my expectations. Still, the sky is the limit, I know.

Thank you.

Shaan I agree with you completely and it is privilege to have you near, since you are my sincer follower making and testing amps not just talking. I am pleased that you enjoy end result so many can see these are real working circuits, not just some bluff.
My intention here is to promote 1.4 version since this is really something special soundwise and I would like to keep it on the sharp edge with SMDs and ALFs, so anyone can see it really takes some effort to make superb result. It is simple circuit but it has to have that cutting edge, not possible to be built by everyone. :yes: