• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@LC,

I made a mistake I am afraid as I posted this question in the wrong thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco
@LC:

Can you please advise which heat-sinks you have chosen for this amp?

Many thanks,

Brian

SK157 I'm waiting for.
yH5BAEAAA8ALAAAAAAPAA8AAARe8EkJap341cbYWhcGOCTnLQowjWR5KoiqkUDgcDWsWrUAND0egNEI+CrGCsJQ6QCHnkpiWVl0rh8F7FCofr4o2LKr+QCyOgNZo03x1ASZBkGnH+ByCuCu7uZFPBkRAAA7

AIUJFJjLEaFejDwMFPgDB6skt9YYKOAAQDBMSlS9GiMMVAogX+iUUoMiBgIhJ2zUEvjmQp9ArRJdaTSIDw8ZIEgMzENkhIINC4KQ2jKFwg2Bf2R1IhAmDiUBBzh5MWShjqdRHdwsmQVMj6UnBgboAqTFFBgyAwMgSjVkhYs2EvAEWCiQA5IeVeTsyJImypGFEKwo+BAiVpkMri7tyoGrkDBblUQ4qYCFSiYzGhDcKSFJDA1fvEw0OKBDgKgCNWawWABLSqgip5o8wICGAIABmwDQQqVplR1hilTsmcPkzCMuRmBMSuDj0EBBv+CwgcSgRYJFkbp8oivwhZ8IE6DMA10YEAA7
SSA BIGBT HP + SSA CCS
AIUJFJjLEaFejDwMFPgDB6skt9YYKOAAQDBMSlS9GiMMVAogX+iUUoMiBgIhJ2zUEvjmQp9ArRJdaTSIDw8ZIEgMzENkhIINC4KQ2jKFwg2Bf2R1IhAmDiUBBzh5MWShjqdRHdwsmQVMj6UnBgboAqTFFBgyAwMgSjVkhYs2EvAEWCiQA5IeVeTsyJImypGFEKwo+BAiVpkMri7tyoGrkDBblUQ4qYCFSiYzGhDcKSFJDA1fvEw0OKBDgKgCNWawWABLSqgip5o8wICGAIABmwDQQqVplR1hilTsmcPkzCMuRmBMSuDj0EBBv+CwgcSgRYJFkbp8oivwhZ8IE6DMA10YEAA7
TSSA BIGBT HP

It should have been in THIS thread! [ SK157 would be overkill here?]

@Salas and Vgeorge:

Many thanks. I have now watched these videos and learnt much which will be of value and which will result in better work.

Brian

As nice and entertaining Dave can be, here is an old but finely structured soldering education series from Pace. Highly recommended. What it lacks in modern neat tricks for manual SMD assembly and rework, there are many other specialized individual videos to find in.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837

PSSA: Pretty Simple Symmetric Amplifier or DC coupled VSSA

Thought I'd post this slightly modified version of the VSSA for some feedback. If you think this should go in a separate thread, let me know.

Instead of the AC coupled VSSA, the addition of a couple of small transistors on the front end allows the current feedback to come to a single node. Offset adjustment is done via one of the current sources. Here's the schematic and a 2KHz spectrum. It seems to have very similar performance to the VSSA on square wave reproduction too.

CCS are set to about .5mA and the output bias is set to around 200mA.

Attachments

• PSSA.gif
    PSSA.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 991
  • PSSA 2KHz.gif
    PSSA 2KHz.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:
Hi Pete :wave:

All SSA projects intentionally avoided diamond buffer in the input stage. The reason is mainly subjective. As you can see the results are similar so why bother with two extra transistors, as these are two extra variables for instability in the equation. I extensively tested diamod buffer, also listened the same amp with and without it, before started SSA thread and to MHO it sounds worse then SSA only.

But if you like to advance with the project you can start new thread and bring the design to PCB.

Regards Andrej ;)

Hi fellow diy-ers. Hi Andrej. :wave: How are you?

Just a few hours ago my ugly board was finished. It's singing some vocals now.

Looking at the schema of vssa I honestly doubt(ed) that it would come even close to its mom soundwise, especially with those electrolytics in the feedback node. But damn, it did! Not just sonics, but the offset, it's fixed and rock steady at 110mV, no different from turn on to right now, no trimming. Man I like this, Fantastic! Finally the last boss in the game has been defeated. :D

Also the different current injection node is something that tempted me so much that I had to give it a shot just to see that it actually works. It went very well. Got paid in full. Learned something new. :cloud9:

The amp is nothing less than a beautiful gift, simple, transparent, like an earth globe made of glass. Thanks again LC. We are indeed lucky to have you around.

shaan

Hi fellow diy-ers. Hi Andrej. :wave: How are you?

Just a few hours ago my ugly board was finished. It's singing some vocals now.

Looking at the schema of vssa I honestly doubt(ed) that it would come even close to its mom soundwise, especially with those electrolytics in the feedback node. But damn, it did! Not just sonics, but the offset, it's fixed and rock steady at 110mV, no different from turn on to right now, no trimming. Man I like this, Fantastic! Finally the last boss in the game has been defeated. :D

Also the different current injection node is something that tempted me so much that I had to give it a shot just to see that it actually works. It went very well. Got paid in full. Learned something new. :cloud9:

The amp is nothing less than a beautiful gift, simple, transparent, like an earth globe made of glass. Thanks again LC. We are indeed lucky to have you around.

shaan

Hi Shaan :wave:

Been playing with network streamer player (media renderer) last days, since this should be my source for the future use. It is capable of 24/192 bit perfect streaming from any network shared library and so far it works nicely.

I congratulate you to try VSSA, but let me tell you that you should try the one from my signature link. Although stability compensation scheme is now quite a bit different and it works perfectly, will present measurements plots and pics later this week.

Regards Andrej :cheers:

Attachments

• NMR DAC 1.jpg
    NMR DAC 1.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • NMR DAC 2.jpg
    NMR DAC 2.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 1,329
  • NMR DAC 3.jpg
    NMR DAC 3.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 1,236
  • eLyric 1.jpg