• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Elektrohoolik, your wiring is not OK!

L and R channel have to be connected with GND wire to chassis. This wire goes from each VSSA channel PCB GND faston connector to mid point of the chassis, otherwise you have GND loop, causing interference currents.

Also try 0,5 uH inductor with 4,7 Ohm/3 W resistor, both parallel and in series with output wire located at + output terminal. This LR output filter prevents amp to oscillate because of too capacitive cables.

Look to recommended wiring diagram drawn in VSSA Installation manual and try to realize it in your case.

Last edited:
Hi all,

After thinking my SMPS300Re were damagedue they turn bulb from the lighet bulb tester (Andrew T explain me that SMPS must never be used with ligth bulb tester) i decided to put them together with VSSA in Hairy/Proto mode. My VSSA module are bypassed on MUR160/10R. THis little beast are really top notch piece with a really first class sound to my hears and system/listen room. So i need yet to produce a decent casing for this combo...

Attachments

• P1060208.JPG
    P1060208.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 601
Hi Marc

Big thanks for this. Great dual-mono VSSA amplifier. :wiz:

Many of VSSA GB members didn't exactly follow my recommendation to use unregulated SMPS with VSSA and to bypass MUR160/10R, consequently missed oportunity to get the most out of it. Anyway your SMPS-s are now active and serve the purpose well, congratulations again. :up:

Regards :cheers:

Hi Marc

Big thanks for this. Great dual-mono VSSA amplifier. :wiz:

Many of VSSA GB members didn't exactly follow my recommendation to use unregulated SMPS with VSSA and to bypass MUR160/10R, consequently missed oportunity to get the most out of it. Anyway your SMPS-s are now active and serve the purpose well, congratulations again. :up:

Regards :cheers:

Yes...VSSA and SMPS is reaaly great combo, i delected my hear a part of the nigth. My SMPS are regulated ones : SMPS300RE +/-45V.

What i am planning is to build a VSSA with more current ability. I know your first one but it's a way over the budget i can allow so my goal is more to move 1.4Schematic to be able to use ALF16N16/ALF16P16. and evetually apply +/-50V rails but will need little help to that. I i keep the original +/-45V rail i think i will use one SMPS500R per chanelso dual mono config. The routing job is done but i have to choose to what V rail i will use due input transistor choice and input CCS choice (BJT or Jfet).

What i hear yesterday evening let me say i will swap out Vesatil and capmu out of the case to locate in VSSA and SMPS. Monday a friend of mine will visit me for a diy/listening day seesion. He bring with him his DIY HFLS speaker (Vifa PL18/Vifa DX 25 combo). I will abale to compare the result in my room between my 14cm woofer speaker and his 18cm version (woofer and speaker are from same compagny and same serie).

Marc

What i hear yesterday evening let me say i will swap out Vesatil and capmu out of the case to locate in VSSA and SMPS.
That is a big change, I assume a lot of thinking behind such an important step, no regrets after.

Monday a friend of mine will visit me for a diy/listening day seesion. He bring with him his DIY HFLS speaker (Vifa PL18/Vifa DX 25 combo). I will abale to compare the result in my room between my 14cm woofer speaker and his 18cm version (woofer and speaker are from same compagny and same serie).

Marc
Enlighten us with the report then.

Regards L.C. :)

What i am planning is to build a VSSA with more current ability. I know your first one but it's a way over the budget i can allow so my goal is more to move 1.4 Schematic to be able to apply +/-50V rails but will need little help to that. I i keep the original +/-45V rail i think i will use one SMPS500R per chanelso dual mono config. The routing job is done but i have to choose to what V rail i will use due input transistor choice and input CCS choice (BJT or Jfet).
That I kindly ask you to do it privately, I have to proceed to sell the First One. :Pirate:

..........I have to proceed to sell the First One. .....
LC more business ;), when FO work gets in control what about VSSA v1.5 to cover customers you not reach by FO, you know little cheaper amp PCB's and cheaper PSU's. It's a guess but your costumer relation to Semelab after FO should be able to get you the combo output device more flawless. Would be nice to see v1.5 maybe with the German can's and the great comp work you did for FO, let it pass your new quality control center as with FO before traveling world :cool:.
The cheaper setup and still HQ sound makes more justice for smaller HiFi setups, desktop setups, small/medium monitors, headphones.

Hello,

I have 4 vssa on hand (and 2 smps) and I did some positive testing on my JBL speakers (6 ohms) with just 2 of them and a single smps (DPS-400 @43VDC) awsome :)
now I have 3 options you guys might help me :
- use the 4 VSSA with the 2 smps and go bi amping
- use the 4 VSSA in bridged mode like 2 XVSSA (post 2822)
- sell the 4 VSSA and just go FO in simple stereo mode !

I m very excited with XVSSA to be honest, but I see a potential risk as each VSSA would see "3 ohm" instead of 6, probably not an issue as long as we keep the output in the 100W range per module and a good heatsink.

Any feedbacks or advise or experience on X version welcome (I have to decide quickly as the proforma for FO is arrived :eek:)
thx!

.....Any feedbacks or advise or experience on X version welcome (I have to decide quickly as the proforma for FO is arrived :eek:)
thx!

Keep/get both :D, think as long as the higher power FO can deliver not is needed then VSSA have some chance to be as good or better by having only one output device per rail (very simple).
About X-version my experience comes from Sansui amps and is thump up, member Esperado somewhere this thread is also very positive about bridged, best knowledge this subject is member Metallicus69.

Keep/get both :D, think as long as the higher power FO can deliver not is needed then VSSA have some chance to be as good or better by having only one output device per rail (very simple).
We found some time in today's listening session also to put VSSA next to the First One just for the curiosity how it will perform. In a form like it is VSSA doesn't stand a chance to beat its bigger brother. ;)

We found some time in today's listening session also to put VSSA next to the First One just for the curiosity how it will perform. In a form like it is VSSA doesn't stand a chance to beat its bigger brother. ;)

Surrender after listening session result. Just my experience seen in past that when a product is developed to high performance then later product developed maybe upon that top performer, doesn't always be better just different, and sometimes the old topmodel suits a specific system setup better. Therefor the words if not needing the horsepower use VSSA which was developed to top performance, and to find out and support sales i wrote get both ;).

Last edited:
About X-version my experience comes from Sansui amps and is thump up, member Esperado somewhere this thread is also very positive about bridged, best knowledge this subject is member Metallicus69.

I am listening to XVSSA everyday, and it's my main power amp since it was created (quite a long time ago hehehe). No technical problems at all and a bit better than the simple VSSA.
I will build for my brother the First One quite soon and I will be able to compare.