Volume sharing for a 10 " and 12 " woofs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"If you don’t think a T-35 and 8HD as used in the The Speakerlab Model 7 have problems, then different speakers sharing the same chamber also would not be a problem"

I'm not a fan of the T35 or the 8HD either, and am amused that you could somehow reason some conclusion about the woofer loading from the mid and HF drivers.

I don't know what parameters to look for in making such a box, and that's why I asked. I also don't know how to simulate such an enclosure either, but I do know of two commercially available speakers that used such loading. Aside for the $80K price tag on the Wilson Audio, I heard nothing objectionable.

Oh, Yamaha also made a PA speaker with a 10 and a 12. Before Art has a chance to point out that these were less than stellar performers, let me point out that the handful of cheap cone tweeters in this box was not the best solution for the highs.
Dennis,

Many manufacturers (myself included) try to make sub optimal components “play together” well.

I would suggest that the various cabinets using different drivers in a shared enclosure had to do with drivers that complimented each other, one driver having better bass performance, the other driver having better mid performance.

Rather than complicating design and construction (and messing up the phase response if different tunings were used for the different drivers) using separate chambers, they used a single chamber.

I doubt very much that any of the cabinets using different speakers in the same chamber you showed applied more than a cursory (if any) application of TS parameters in their designs ;).

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.