• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Voltage divider instead of expensive volume pot or stepped attenuator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Many years ago I saw OP12 LDR's used in a box with a lamp.

I dont know what it would sound like. If the lamp failed the volume failed in the low/off state.

Just checking it seems they are not very stable, it might be interesting if there was a better device and use high brightness LED's.

Just for interest!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Yes Brit01, either those or some of the spectacular quality ceramic 2 pole ones if you don't feel(as I don't myself) that you need such fine adjustment.The heavily silver-plated contacts are normally a bit tarnished but this easily cleans to pristine brighness and easy solderability using an eraser.(this also works well on silver-plated tube sockets)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
wonder what would happen with 2 LDR's in series per side with middle connection as the output. In at the top, gnd at the bottom.

An LED on each LDR and a voltage adjuster on top "L" & bottom "R" led's to set balance.:)

Then volume adjust top and bottom LEDs togeather on left or right.

Just a thought.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.