Volt BM 2500 advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay makes sense .

There was a design from England that used this driver with an Esotar 330 called Vortex.

I have spoken to guys that heard it and it was simply amazing .

Simple two way using 6 db and 18 dB xover .

I have a tweaked up x over design for it too

Would anyone know what x over point would it be :

18 db , 5.5 mF in series , .6 mH ( parallel to tweeter ) and 8 mF in series values on an 8 ohm tweeter .

the 10 " driver has a 1.5 mH coil on it .

thanks again

Last edited:
Question is will the midrange ( from the Volt 10 BM 2500 ) be as good as some very good 5 and 6 inch woofers offered by Audio Technology drivers ????

I have talked to guys that swear by this 10 " and the PHL 10 " midwoofers ........ They called it best midrange reproduction ever !!!!!

Last edited:
I have used Volt drivers since the 80's, they are built like tanks, I still own my BM250 drivers from then and have used BM2500 for the last 10 years. Midrange quality of BM2500 depends on how high you want to go. I use them only up to 800Hz, with Audax pr170mo as high mids. I use an electronic crossover and have tried them above 800Hz, up to 1500Hz -I was happy with that but less so when I tried crossing over at 2500Hz in a two way design. My instinct would be to stick to 1500Hz-1600Hz max and use a decent high powered tweeter with a low resonance, using either 18dB or even 24dB high pass crossover to relieve strain on the tweeter.

Last edited:
That is making sense .

I think Jerome69 confirmed 1500 hz point from the values in the xover circuit .

Now the question is the midrange Quality a world class like the ATC OR just good for a driver that is 10" with a mid capability ??

Thank you to all . Having International fellow builders is Amazing simply put

IMHO the Volt BM2500 will match ATC bass/mid drivers for midrange performance, but will not match the ATC sm75-150dome mid, in the upper midrange-so again it depends on how high you wish to crossover. My BM2500 drivers sound exceptionally clean and uncoloured, but as I stated earlier, crossed over at 2500Hz they sounded a bit "forward" to me. I suspect because of the narrow dispersion from 1500Hz upwards there is the usual increase in forward radiation at the expense of off-axis energy. (I am sure someone with test equipment might be able to provide a graph showing this) I use mine for 100-800Hz only, with a Pro celestion 15" B600 for subs, Audax PR170MO 800-2.5KHz with Aurum cantus G1 for high range, all actively crossed over.

That is a very nice system indeed .

I thought it would be almost impossible for the bm 2500 to match the ATC 3" MID unit in the midrange reproduction .

How is the sound of your 4 way system ??

What xover are you using ? Slopes ?

cheers

I am biased so I am bound to tell you it is sounds good! Dynamic, and revealing, with incredible transient response, open and never boxy or nasal or shouty. No frequency range seems dominant-if you see what I mean.The disadvantages are I cannot resist playing it loudly- a bit like having a fast car that you cannot drive slowly. I use 2 TOA professional crossovers-model V141. These have switchable 12/18dB slopes on all 3 crossover frequencies, with 1dB stepped attenuators, which is great for fine repeatable adjustments. At present I am using 18dB slopes at 100Hz, 800Hz and 2500Hz.
I also have a Linkwitz-Reilly 24dB electronic crossover I am rebuilding at the moment, this is my crossover of choice. I will have to try it out to see if it's an improvement-but now digital crossovers are becoming very cheap so I may be wasting my time... The Audax PR170MO are open baffle which I feel helps with the clarity. I have 2 pro Crest 250w /channel power amps powering sub and bass with a 4 channel modified 100w mosfet home built amp for mid and high ranges, running in class A up to 25w.
Some of you may be thinking this is really PA system, but I consider it to be a crazy hifi! I tried passive crossovers experimentally but I would consider active crossovers a must in a 4 way set up like this, it will probably not cost much more than a passive set up and IMHO is more likely to meet expectations.

Last edited:
I will use this driver too and go 4 way .

I m using a Vacum Tube Marchand Electronics Active X over balanced using Sowter transformers .

Souds Terrific indeed . very musical But you have to change cards as its analog.

I tried digital units and they seem to consume the beauty of the music and sound harsh.

Tubes sound very natural . I have 16 german Telefunken 12 AX7 in it . its magical

I m going to use the ATC domes for mid and Volt 2500 from 150 - 800 hz.

Xover is 24 LR I have a variety of points to try

Amps will be 2800 W bass . 800 midbass 400 mid and 400 tweeter ( may just use one amp here and use a passive mid TW point )

Those Marchand crossovers are very desirable- I can only dream about them for now! What will you use for sub duty-I expect you will use something special, here in the UK we don't have the choices you have in Canada and the States. That's why I have chosen a pro driver to get the kind of high sensitivity and slam I need. I have used extended bass shelf alignment tuned to 27Hz in a 5ft" box, the usual maximally flat alignments never sound right to me, tuned to around 40-50Hz they sound boomy and unpleasant . I have added a few db of boost below 40Hz to account for the losses here, taking into account room gain of 4dB an octave from 100Hz and below.

The bass I m trying to choose between 4 x 15" 8 Ohm Volts ( big boxes ) OR 4 x10" Audio Technology Woofs ( nice box )

Not sure if the 10 " 4 Ohm AT will fill a 450 ft2 room enough .

Well I can tell you the Marchand is very good .

The Surface of the 15s is 734 cm2 each and 10s are 324 cm2 each .

Both will do 30 hz , similar efficiency 93 s

Sudgestions ??

The bass I m trying to choose between 4 x 15" 8 Ohm Volts ( big boxes ) OR 4 x10" Audio Technology Woofs ( nice box )

Not sure if the 10 " 4 Ohm AT will fill a 450 ft2 room enough .

Well I can tell you the Marchand is very good .

The Surface of the 15s is 734 cm2 each and 10s are 324 cm2 each .

Both will do 30 hz , similar efficiency 93 s

Sudgestions ??

The first thing I did was to check the prices of your two choices, around £1500 for 4 bass drivers. With a large budget like that you do have some choices, although you will have to search to find high power low resonance frequency drivers, having a high sensitivity of 93dB or more, which is why I choose a heavy duty pro driver, most seem to be around 86dB, designed to squeezed into a small low efficiency box.

Two Volt 15"s will do 96dB as a pair but will require a box of at least 10 ft" but preferable more. The At drivers will need a box of roughly half that size and make 94dB as a pair. I actually considered the Volts as I was offered a pair at a good price, but decided to stay with the Celestions, which are more damped, having a lower qts of 0.284 and more xmax, together with a 4 inch coil. I have a largish selection of 15" and 18" drivers and have always prefer the drivers with the lowest qts. all other things being equal, I find them more detailed than less damped drivers, (unless the box is made larger) at high volume levels, things sound more controlled and together. Four Volt 15" will definitely fill your room, but as I said earlier, use a large box to keep the qts. down and use a low box tuning frequency of 30Hz or lower. A large port 6" or 8" diameter will keep the mach speeds down, but remember you will need to make a very solid well braced heavy box to keep the bass sounding clean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.