VituixCAD

^Copy of textbox is one good option. Shouldn't be a problem to implement. A week ago I tested moving to Crossover tab only but that didn't look the most logical. Multiple reference angles would also be nice, as well as average of listening window.
But now it is moved up into menu bar. Looks quite okay to me.

Nice Kimmo!

Regarding multiple reference angles

it would be really neat to have an extended reference angle:
or just an additional row in the frequency response list next to visible called ref angle, and present them in the power/DI window in gray and ref angle in black?
Then I would have very few things to ask you to improve!
:)

An idea or two,
where the "fit" button is.
perhaps a view/edit button.
The function would be:
In view mode
scrolling with mouse wheel changes the view. (as it does now)

when in edit mode,
highlighting a component and then use the scroll wheel edits the main parameter of the component, (L, C, R etc).

This function is more useful to me atleast than being able to scoll the view of the crossover.

Regarding room gain like basta, you could measure your own room or car and use it to design a subwoofer for your exact needs. And there are some lossy models that are quite good for basta, the standard is not perfect

Export frequency response, Frequency response of driver
Maybe a tick box to let me export all angles in lspcad extended format?

Br

highlighting a component and then use the scroll wheel edits the main parameter of the component, (L, C, R etc).

This function is more useful to me atleast than being able to scoll the view of the crossover.

Br

+1 to this. To activate the scroll wheel part value change could also work via double or triple click on the component and then 'esc' key to take one out of that mode again. That would indeed make it much faster to play around with values.

enclosure minimum size limit, Y axis settings

Dear Kimmo,
I just discovered your wonderfully complete VituixCAD software and starting to explore it, but I've run into an issue in the enclosure designer screen, where I'm unable to enter a volume of less than 1 liter. Is there a way to enter smaller volumes that I haven't discovered? The systems I'm interested in simulating could be considered "miniature" with typical box volumes in the range of 1 cubic centimeter, so I'd like to be able to have resolution of 0.0001 liters (0.1 cubic centimeters) if possible.

Also, I can't seem to find a way to change the range of the graph scales for impedance and excursion - is there a setting where I can edit the Y range?

Thanks for your excellent work - I look forward to exploring the capabilities!

best regards
Alex

Rev 2.0.4.6 (2018-08-24)

Main program
* Crossover schematic zooming in/out changed from Shift + mouse wheel to Ctrl + mouse wheel.
* Schematic scrolling up/down with mouse wheel disabled while (top) component is selected. Vertical scrollbar works normally.
* First (main) parameter of selected component can be adjusted with mouse wheel when cursor is over the component. Does not apply to drivers and OP amps.
* Cone excursion scale max added to Options window.
* Air velocity scale max added to Options window.

Enclosure tool
* Main program and Enclosure tool minimized while editing driver parameters to make room for datasheet.
* Minimum box volume decreased from 1 to 0.0001 liters.

Regarding room gain like basta, you could measure your own room or car and use it to design a subwoofer for your exact needs

I use simple thumb rule; -10dB point which works in our living room, and flat power response at bass range. These are quite good methods also for designing generic commercial speakers, with or without dsp.

Export ... in lspcad extended format?

You can use combination of File->Export->Polar frequency responses and saving as extended data with Merger tool. Load exported polar responses to HF list (leave LF list empty) and save with 'Extended data' checked and 'Create merged responses' unchecked.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello,

I have been trying to use PCD to design a crossover for an MTM I am working, but I am not getting very far.

I tried Vituix for the first time tonight and holy cow, the optimizer is awesome!

The question I have is about tweeter Z offset.

In PCD I created a FRD off all three raw speakers together and overlaid it on an FRD of each separate speaker to calculate my offsets. My tweeter is acoustically 81mm in front of my woofers.

When I use +81mm (235us) in Vituix it does not match PCD, I need to enter -81mm (-235us) for it to match the results from PCD. Is this correct?

How do you calculate tweeter Z offset in Vituix?

Thank you,

David.

Negative delay [us] in Drivers tab is equal to moving driver towards the mic or listener, and positive delay is moving further.

Negative Z mm for driver instance in the crossover is equal to moving driver towards the mic or listener, and positive Z mm is moving further.

Speed of sound is 344.0 m/s in VituixCAD.

Usually mic is at 1m from rotation origin while measuring single driver. Rotation origin is 3D point (0,0,0 mm) in the center of driver on baffle surface. Then you move the driver in crossover simulation with X, Y, Z mm parameters to position where driver is installed, relative to selected design origin. That is (perpendicular) endpoint of listening axis on baffle surface, usually close to tweeter.
Hopefully this document help with origins: Preparation of response measurements for crossover simulation with VituixCAD

You can use on-axis frd data created with single channel measurement and minimum phase extraction. Sum of acoustical center and Z coordinate of driver (if baffle is stepped or tilted) is entered to Z mm coordinate of driver in XO simulation.
But that data is not necessarily accurate for off-axis, power response and DI simulation because timing differences of different off-axis measurements might be damaged due to normalization process.

2 feature requests

Dear Kimmo,
thanks so much for implementing my requests about more significant figures in the box volume, and ability to change the Y axis settings. I was amazed that you were able to do it so quickly!

May I also ask for 3 decimal places available for Mms entry? Currently it seems to be limited to 1 decimal place.

1. As I explore the capabilities, I've found myself wanting a feature which would be useful for simulations: That is the ability to limit the performance due to Xmax or Pmax. These values are already available for each driver, but it seems they are not used to limit the output since I can freely increase the voltage and get a response that keeps rising beyond what would be actually achievable. With such a limit enabled, I could increase the drive voltage, but below a certain frequency the SPL graph would not increase further, and the excursion graph would show a flat horizontal line (saturating at the limit)

I would suggest a nice way to implement this would be to have two check boxes at the bottom of the "align" tab labeled as "limit Pmax" and "limit Xmax". Either of these can be ticked on/off and instantly the graphs would be updated to reflect the choices.

2. Another very useful feature would allow entering of a target maximum SPL vs frequency curve and have the program determine the EQ needed to reach it (and therefore the required excursion, power, and voltage curves). These should be optionally limited by the Pmax and Xmax as listed above, showing the user if the desired output target is feasible. Is that currently possible?

Overall, I'm very impressed with VitiuxCAD and the hard work you've put into it!

best regards
Alex

Joined 2018
Paid Member
How to you change the slope in the power graph or change the 85dB target in the SPL graph?

Thank you, David.

BTW, Kimmo, do you have a Patreon account or accept Paypal? How can people pay for this software? Is there a Facebook page for this software? I could not find one.

Hello Kimmo,

I have also recently discovered Vituix and am really anxious to start using it. So far I've built a turntable, paid for an ARTA license, and practiced making measurements and importing files. I am stumped on the optimizer right now and cannot get the SPL Target Line to move. I'm holding down my left mouse key and trying to drag the end of the line but it's stuck on 85dB and won't move. I've closed and then reopened the program but no luck. Can you help? Thanks very much. Rick

Rev. 2.0.4.7 (2018-08-31)

Main program
* Added "Select driver from the crossover" message if driver is not selected for snapshot from Phase or Filter graph.
* Checking of 'Active PEQ response as analog RLC' and unchecking of 'Shelving frequency at middle gain' allowed also while 'Active IIR reponses as digital biquad' is checked. This increases accuracy of filter responses with FourAudio, Hypex and compatible dsp gear.
* Improved accuracy of 1st order shelving slopes with 'Active IIR reponses as digital biquad' checked.
* Fixed possible overflow error in line charts above Nyquist freq. when digital biquad response is selected.

Diffraction tool
* Added Angle step (5...45 deg) setting for directivity export.

Enclosure tool
* Settings in Driver configuration group, Align tab, Enclosure tab, Directivity tab and Info tab are saved for the next session, except 'Crossover of driver', 'User selection filter' and 'Feed speaker' checkboxes.
* Value range of driver parameters extended for smaller drivers and systems.

Few tweaks with low importance.

2.0.4.9 (2018-09-05)
* Snapshot/overlay function added to SPL chart. Captures SPL of selected driver. Total SPL is captured if valid driver is not selected from the crossover. Opened, shorted or muted driver is not "valid".
* Minimum phase response improved when 'Active IIR response as digital biquad' is checked and sample rate <96 kHz. This is just workaround assuming that low pass slope above Nyquist freq. is 6 dB/oct.

2.0.4.8 (2018-09-02)
* Sample rate saved to project file (.vxp)
* Response of active filters recalculated when Options window is closed with OK.