Visaton B200 - Taming the shout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I finally got around to trying this line level filter for the B200 with average parts; metal film R's and cheap styrene C's. Values were adjusted for an amp with 20k input impedance. There may be a pic below showing the value changes.

What I notice is a lot more high frequency(too much?) compared to the previous parallel LR at the speaker. Seems tilted up quite a bit but haven't measured yet. I'm guessing C1 is influencing the highs so I replaced C1 with a 750p better quality cap (Rel styrene) and let it run in a while. The over all quality of the highs improved and the sound stage focused much better(probably due to the better quality cap) but it is still pretty bright.

Did I screw up the values? Is calculating what C1 is doing just a matter of downstream impedance (20k)?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• pllxo_x2b.jpg
    pllxo_x2b.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 875
Hey Geoff,

Yes, OB for me!
They're on a 2 ft. by 4 ft flat baffle. Have used a parallel LR filter at the speaker for quite a while- various L's and Mills WW R's, usually about 5 ohm. When I tried the LL filter I was surprised how much that parallel cap let the highs through. I may try that C in series with some R to scale it back a little. I may tend to like the highs rolled off just a bit due to the insults my hearing has had over the years.

From post #30 regarding an input cap to facilitate a high pass:

An additional pot with a series R shunting after the input C, will give you an adjustable bass roll off freq. 80 to 240 Hz could be very useful in setting it up.

Sorry to be dense but could you explain a little more what this would look like?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Geoff,

As the circuit proved to be very effective for Visaton B200, I was wondering if it should be possible to develop similar circuits for other fullrange speakers. For example, Fostex Fe206 is quite unlistenable without some sort of filtering.

Considering its frequency response, could you come up with the appropriate values for the PLL filter?

Thanks,

Vix

Attachments

• fostex 206.jpg
    fostex 206.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 694
Hello,

thats not true:
"For example, Fostex Fe206 is quite unlistenable without some sort of filtering."

The filter is listenable and most the time the area below 800 Hz
is the problem not the highs,

with a low mid horn you will not need a filter.

2 problem is a misinterpretation of the
measurement, they made with a IEC norm baffle
thats different from a small baffle with 25 cm.

Look my solutions of sat horns without filter and
98-102 dB 1W 1M from 120 HZ up.

Attachments

• trumpet b200 0,15,30,.gif
    trumpet b200 0,15,30,.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 671
I'm with Horst on this -206 'unlistenable without a filter'? What have you been doing to them? :D They're not exactly a soporific listen, with that rising response, but they're still one of the best FR units around at the price. A pair of phase plugs improves things of course, and I'm sure EnABLing them will reap rewards too, but stock, they're a good unit. My friend Ed runs an unmodified pair in his Vofo folded TQWTs and they're very effective, even to someone like me, who hates a bright sound. Sure, a filter will flatten things out, but its not an automatic requirement.

Hi,

Sorry for harsh words. I was mostly thinking about ways to cure the rising response, plus something more like a Line level baffle step correction, when these speakers are not used in a horn, but other types of enclosure, ML TL for example. I bet they don't need a BSC when used in a horn, and the phase plug could take care of the top end.

Regards,

Vix

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
peterbrorsson said:
Yup regarding Sonido!
Have tested SFR178 on OB and sound is really good. Lacking of bass of course but Q is really low, so no surprise. However a really even response with no shout.

BIB on the way for these so we'll see....

Cheers!

peterbrorsson said:
Wrong image!

DISGUSTING!

yep- you're right ,with so low Qts these drivers are either for horn or OB with bass helper ;

but- oh boy, they are good .............

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.