Visaton 2 way tower or Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is an impressive design, Marc! :cool:

I simmed it closed box, but whatever. It does good things.

Attachments

• Marc MTM.PNG
    Marc MTM.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Marc MTM Filter.PNG
    Marc MTM Filter.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 286
Thanks Steve. Closed box would be perfectly fine.

I see you changed the crossover there a little. I had the 2.7 uF and 4.7 ohm in parallel with the 0.33 mH, and this pulled the response down around 5 kHz a bit more. I think both would do fine. :)

Can't say I didn't learn... :)

Right, so I've been doing a lot of thinking and testing.

I've listened to some electronic bass-heavy music for testing, and last night I gave this mix a try:
Bass drops 2017

I can't believe how hard the speakers can be pushed while remaining well within the excursion limits. Many things in my house rattle. I figured that if I REALLY wanted to push heavy bass, I could add a sub woofer, but I would need a serious sub - like a 15" with >200W. Anything less wouldn't help.

Anyway, by reading threads here, someone linked this tool: Speakerbuilder Pro 2.0

Port air speed is ridiculous. Lots of cooling ability. :D But, the excursion shown with the tool is quite accurate by what I've seen. It seems a sealed box will most likely be the best option. So, I'm closing up the port, and I will post what my thoughts are.

Either way, if you want better simulated frequency response, a BSC can be added in the form of a 0.33mH and 4.7ohm in parallel, and that little thing in series before the RC impedance correction. Also, the 2ohm tweeter resistor can change to 4ohm, and the 22uF can become 10uF.

With less effort, the 22uF can simply become a 10uF, but the only issue which may arise is cone break-up due to raised response >4kHz.

I still like the raised response in the higher mids. It works well in-room. I'll have to measure anyway.

ETA: I wanted to mention a sealed box here would be Q of 0.88. :)

I can't believe I never posted more. I finished and painted the speakers ages ago.

Tonight I auditioned monitor audio bronze 6, silver ss300 and B&W 603 side by side. I came home to compare my speakers, and truly, I like mine the most. The silver 300 blew me away out if the three at the shop.

To finish my speakers, I doubled the baffle thickness, primed them, and sprayed them gloss white.

I want to add the port again, but I'm building a little sound room, so I'll wait until then in case sealed will be better in the small space. I'm going to rebuild the cabinets one day with thicker panels, possibly plywood, but I'll see.

Enjoy attached pics.

Attachments

• WP_20190718_07_37_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190718_07_37_46_Pro.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 160
  • WP_20190723_20_42_53_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20190723_20_42_53_Pro (2).jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 152
  • WP_20190723_20_45_38_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20190723_20_45_38_Pro (2).jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 155
For those of you who don't know Marc in South Africa, he faced particular supply difficulties familiar to those in Australia, NZ and Canada. Everything just costs about 5X as much as those of us in the UK! :eek:

I think he did well, bumbling through all the (Hilbert?) transform stuff about phase and amplitude toward a better loudspeaker.

My own all-time favourite speaker is the legendary Wharfedale E70:

520067d1450504485-driver-suggestions-kef-105s-wharfedale-70-jpg

There is something special about the PA-like projection of twin drivers. Hence MTM on the voices of the midrange is a winner. I must work on this. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.