Vinyl>CD: anyone else hear depth diff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My analoge system is an VPI Scoutmaster with Zu Denon 103, and my digital system is Marantz SA15 and Monarchy NM24 DAC. The difference between the two systems are huge. Not only do I hear much more depth, but the sound is also much more smooth and transparent on my analoge system. This is especially true for classical music. I really can't listen to my digital system all that much any more, it really hurts my ears after awhile. But you can't beat the convience of a digital system, especailly using a squeezebox like device.

Some tests were done with TT, expensive ones and less expensive ones.

A typical TT gives you 5-20% THD all around. Precision TT can go as low as 1.5 - 0.5% on perfect records pressings.

Now the hifi cd : 0.005 %

That’s for me the main difference.

As for frequency extension: the C on piano =32hz, the C7 =4186hz

All frequency below or over this is just spatial perception information and harmonics.

My advice for you is to get a high quality SET for your cd's to restore the second harmonics, 1% distortion is perfect.

Personally my only reservations toward the cd's are the DAC'S and ADC'S : they are unnatural electronic devices producing fake sounds, contrary to a cartridge that is a musical instrument.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Gabdx1 said:
Some tests were done with TT, expensive ones and less expensive ones.

A typical TT gives you 5-20% THD all around. Precision TT can go as low as 1.5 - 0.5% on perfect records pressings.

The first number is more like it. The TT has little to do with it. Just do some math with that Denon stylus geometry and typical groove modulation and then wonder why anything matters.

Onvinyl said:
On a decent audio system, the master tape copy is so much ahaed even when comparing to a breathtaking phonochain, one might get desperate.

The depth and 'bodynessness' are considerably *much* more present on the tape, as is (particulary) bass response, but the most striking feature is a freshness and richness in sound, to which the CD sounds thin and the LP sounds muddy, dark and fluffy.

Rüdiger [/B]

If what was said many years ago that Pink Triangle Turntable sounded very close to a master tape,then LP sound might not be so much worse than a master tape,provided that the transfer onto the LP is a successful one?

If you have DYD-audio player which can play 24 bit 192 kHz, you can hear distinctions in depth and soundstage between MFSL CD and MFSL LP. Rip LP MFSL 1-017 it is executed on high resolving equipment.
CD MFSL with the same material is considered also highly resolving. But the difference will be very appreciable, if your equipment highly resolving. At the same time you can check up it)
Write to me on email, I will inform for you links with examples.

Panicos K said:
If what was said many years ago that Pink Triangle Turntable sounded very close to a master tape,then LP sound might not be so much worse than a master tape,provided that the transfer onto the LP is a successful one?

There was a turntable review in Hi-Fi Choice in about 1991 where Richard Black, who had produced some commercial recordings for a small label called Altarus Records, compared the sound of LPs with first-generation copies of master tapes. He found that with one particular turntable and in certain recordings he could discern more musical details on the LP than on the tape, and suggested that the losses in pressing the LP and playing it were potentially lower than those incurred by making and playing the tape copy (on, if I remember correctly, a Revox G36 restored by Tim de Paravicini).

The turntable was the Pink Triangle Anniversary. My experience as a Pink owner would indicate that Pinks are not all equal, and that with less-than-perfectly set-up examples the neutrality, transparency and detail are offset by poor pitch resolution and lack of low bass, but these problems are not unsurmountable.

Alex

of course the CD noise level referred to as a limitation "at very elevated levels" is going to totally blow RIAA vinyl playback out of the water - particularly if Redbook CD’s seldom used pre-emphasis is combined with "pre-emphasis aware" noise shaped dither
It's nearly 30 years people say "vinyl is dead" but it's still there.:)
The fact is that any kind of dithering and noise shaping creates correlated noise which doesn't exist in an analogue recording. In an analogue recording time is not manipulated. In a digital recording, due to quantization errors, you have to change artificially the time sequence of the samples (i.e. without knowing what you are removing in terms of musical information) in order to correct such errors and transform that musical signal into white noise (by definition this will span the full available frequency band). This is done by trials, listening to the results. Here comes the digital artificial sound.....
The analogue noise is uncorrelated to the signal and doesn't compromise dynamics and information resolution for the listener because the brain will bypass it quickly. There are other manipulation on dynamics it is the same for digital software. Actually a huge number of CD's is very limited in terms of dynamics (max 30 dB's) with exaggerated compression because they have to "sound" even played by consumer portable stuff.

If someone can play a little bit with HDD's can have good experience using a number of free programs from the net to make his own music from lossless files. Often the results are better than original CD's!!

Also, CD transports are not so immune to vibrations as one might think. Some friends of mine checked how the laser was affected by vibrations using an oscilloscope. They are not delicate as turntables but the problem is real. This fact is not noted because the optical reading faults are electronically corrected and in case the optics can't read the data there will be an interpolation with further loss of information.
I have also had the opportunity to listen an expensive CD Transport + Converter at home for more than one month. Honestly, the difference in comparison to my Mission Cyrus CD 6 is very subtle.
Vinyl or master tape are simply better if you have a good "machine".
I think the better digital source has not come, yet. I hope it will but it looks like there will be no material support. The CD's and other digital discs will die not having been able to replace vinyl.

Last edited:
mp3 killing cd...con't

of course it was only a matter of time. If the current crop of music listeners continue to listen to mp3s, then all could be lost...and Apple doesn't make it any easier when various recording formats cannot be loaded into their iPods.

Yes, digital formats may have the potential for excellent fidelity. But with hardware/software issues occurring most folks take the easy way out and just "settle" for mp3 recordings, particularly if they want to have portable music with them.

This fact is well illustrated as LP sales continue to climb (but the general numbers are small) whilst cd sales have softened, and mp3 sales have skyrocketed.

I was listening to a nice system (which I can't describe, I forgot the components), with vinyl as the source. It was very enjoyable. Then we listened to the same (jazz) song via CD.

The biggest difference I heard was a big flattening of the image - with vinyl, there was so much 'body' to each of the players; they were better separated, but more than that, the performers in front stood way in front, with a much more tangible form, while the others in back, were standing there, in the back. The CD sounded like CD - very clean and smooth, but a bit lifeless.
D

Yes, I experience the exact same thing; for my taste the vinyl is a bit overwhelming, euphoric. I prefer CD (with tubes inside), the bass there is better than the vinyl, vinyl is great bass but too much or brutal, too distorted. On jazz and small ensembles the realism of vinyl for sound stage presence is unbeatable. On cd you lose resolution of space around you but gain in accuracy. It’s a matter of preference/taste. Both sound awesome with a good system.

Years ago there was a discussion in a major audio magazine about the minute "noise floor" of vinyl albums creating a "warmth" to the sound that CD's did not have, and there was discussion of designing a noise dithering function into a CD player to overcome the hard sterile sound of CD's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.