Vintage V-FETs in class-A amplifier with complementary push-pull output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is it too early to ask for a working circuit, papa?

In this case we are simply looking at a complementary pair of
followers. Perhaps one of our regulars would like to jump in
with a circuit. For 1 amp bias, it takes about -7 volts or so
from base to base for bias and there are no Source resistors,
only nominal Gate resistors like 100 ohms to preclude parasitic
oscillation.

:cool:

I thought is a nice idea to set up a thread dedicated to amplifiers based on old so-called V-FETs from the 70-ties (and 80-ties maybe). Transistors made by NEC, Sony and Yamaha, and to my knowledge in amplifers from Hitachi/Lo-D, JVC, Sansui, Sony and Yamaha way back then.

Last week I was doing some patent searching on tube-ish FET preamps. I found this one from 1977 interesting

Signal amplifier circuit with a field effect transistor having current... - US 4008442 - IP.com

In the background, the author states "Recently, field effect transistors having current unsaturated characteristics like those of a triode vacuum tube ... has attracted attention as an active semiconductor amplifiying element for an audio signal amplifier circuit." He references a Japanese patent of 1973 for the invention of these special FETs.

Like all patent apps, it goes on to make general claims for the invention, showing a number of circuit configurations with no component values given, only equations.

But anyway, perhaps the author was using the V-Fets mentioned here, I thought it might be relevant. I certainly am intrigued by one of his circuit configurations, doesn't look too different from a conventional preamp, I may try to scrounge up a few parts and build it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.