Vintage Pionner Turntable PL-50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
you are right Panicos K,
it makes sence to invest in good cart
but even a $50 Grado is decent performer

don't take me wrong, i know how important the cartridge is,
i am using benz micro and audiotechnica oc9, but it makes no sence to place any of those in cheap turntable

you would be surprised how well can some of those low priced grados sound if plugged into good phono preamp

in my opinion most of the phono preamps in regular receivers, even those cheap stand alone phono preamps just simply sucks

RocksyDad, get something like that pioneer, thats fine, get a grado, but built a good phono preamp, there is quite a few circulating around and you will enjoy LPs more than ever

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Sounds like this one is on the lower end of the spectrum or is it? Right now I have a lowend DD Dual CS620Q and want to upgrade a few notches up. I'm still learning what's out there but its hard to figure out what sounds better then what I have now without actually listening to everything. This Pioneer sure looks much beefier then the Dual so it must sound better, right?. But hey, if I can get it for $25 and get a decent cartrige to go with it, for the money, it has to be a step up? Is this a good assumption?

BTW, I do have a pretty good 6AW8 tube phono amp. Sounds very clean and I am quite happy with it.

Or should I keep looking? The next question is look for what? Too many choices....

The big diference between the Dual and Pioneer is the tonearm effective mass.Dual has a very low mass arm,so you will need a high compliance cartridge,while with the Pioneer a medium compliance one.

Could you explain what a high compliance cartridge vs medium? I'm still trying to learn all of this TT lingo. I basiclly understand the different mass of each tone arm but don't understand the interactions between the two. Thanks...

FWIW, my Dual has a P-mount. This limits what I can use should I decide to keep it but this is one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade TT.

The cantilever holding the stylus is the only part of the cartridge that is moving(suspension).The stiffness of this suspension is it's compliance and it is measured in micrometers/milinewton.The total effective mass of arm,cartridge,screws and headshell,cause at the recommended tracking force,a resonance for this cantilever.This resonant frequency,ideally should be between 8 and 12 Hz.The higher the mass,the lower the resonant frequency,and vise versa.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.