Vintage Mcintosh MC250 help needed!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not so sure about r109 myself..... it's the collector load for q5, and the collector voltage on q5 is correct. i'm leaning more towards r105/103 which are the feedback divider to the inverting input of the diff amp, or c56 which provides local negative feedback to the + input of the diff amp

R103 reading 11.4k, R105 reding 122k all within range.

Again I played around wtih R105 and R106, I can't get the voltmeter to get high, it start off at 20k and then it is stuck at around 33k and slowly moving up 0.1 k at a time. But when I desoldered the resistor from the PCB it reads a perfect 122k on the voltmeter.

I also decided to give the amp another try tonight, had it hooked up to the system. It seems that I have to turn the volume a little louder than before until start to distort, about 60%. A little better than before... Or maybe it was my imagination.

Again, at lower volume and mono the amp sounds totally awesome! The very second I turn it up to 60% it sounded like my left speaker had blown up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Hopefull we will get to the bottom of this soon.

Mr. p-car said:
Wife vetoed the signal generator... She told me just to bring the amp to a shop and pay them the money....

So I am now left on my own to crease a constant signal with what I have on hand.

I was thinking can I just use an input source that's playing the same frequency of tone? I do have some white noise media that would be able to produce the same frequency sound for a period of time. Will that work as a source to generate signal? I mean from a CD player play back?

You are sitting in front of a piece of equipment, that can be used as a simple signal generator: Your computer.
Just found this link:
Signal generator
Maybe it's of some use.
Happy new year, and happy huntin'
Ebbe

Ok guys, after a 2 hours learning curve I finally sort of figured out how to get a wave on the scope!!

"My temporary work bench.... family dinning table"
DSC03139.JPG

In any case, I was able to use the idea posted by es44 and was able to find a signal generating software that utillizes the PC's sound card to generate a range of frequencies.

http://www.e-dsp.com/software-functionsignal-generator/

So I connected my notebook's headphone output to the RCA input of the AMP and made sure that the AMP switch is set on stereo mode and the gain is turned all the way up. And started to trace the signal line according to the schematic's dark line.

Basically the dark highlighted line follows the path of the transistors all the way to the output.

Here is a picture of the first transistor Q1 and Q2 right before the signal enters transistor, top wave is left channel, bottom wave is the right channel

DSC03148.JPG

This is what the signal looks like after the Q1 and Q2
DSC03149.JPG

This is what the signal looks like after the Q5 and Q6
DSC03146.JPG

So I guess the problem is the Q5 transistor?

Q5 calls for a Si PNP transistor, the only one I was able to get was a NTE187 T-PNP Si, General purpose output, which is flat unlike the original half circle transistor and also has a little metal tab heat sink things on there. Can I use this transistor instead?

Almost there!!!

While I was going at it with the digital camera, here is my temporary equipment setup...

DSC03140.JPG

My MIT terminator bi-wire
DSC03143.JPG

My Counterpoint tube preamp
DSC03144.JPG

Thank you guys very much for sticking around with me on this

I troubleshot an amp with similar problems. A big suspect is ANY coupling caps above 1 uf, so C53, C54 which are 10 uf caps are suspect. At some point in time, I would replace them with Blackgate 60099 from our advertiser www.partsconnexion.com. Thay are 10 uf 50 V non-polar caps. An ohmeter MIGHT show something. Might not. Even if they were replaced, I'd still suspect them.

The mono thing is a clue, which makes me believe it's pre-amp related.

Ypu can lift a lead on these caps and cross the channels with a piece of wire and see if the problem flips channels. If it does it's in the input section. If it doesn't it's later.

Anatech,

Now, I am confused. If you look at my picture of the incoming signal rigth after the RCA inputs, it looks like the scope is displaying a pretty consistent clean signal. Maybe not???

DSC03148.JPG

Here is another picture of the measurement after Q5 transistor (Top is the left problem channel, bottom is the working right channel)

DSC03147.JPG

OK, so this point I figured what the heck I will just replace the Q5 and see if that does the trick, nothing to loose.

There were a variety of Si PNP transistors at Fry's, so I picked up 3 of them.

T-PNP, Si Low noise, High gain AF Preamp
T-PNP, Si Audio Amp, driver
T-PNP, Si Darlington Amp, Preamp

Which one would you guys recommend that I use as the replacement?

Sine waves look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_wave

What's the p-p value of the output from the sound card which is the same as "Right after the RCA's", right? This is what your showing. right?

Lower the volume of the sound card until you get a sine wave on the scope.

Use no more than 1 V p-p for starters as an input to the AMP. Trace this signal through the amp to the speaker on the good channel. Then and only then can you start turning up the gain on the AMP and/or sound card.

What you are seeing is "Clipping" which isn't good for a lot of things: ears, AMPS or speakers. That top signal that your showing is exibiting "Ringing". That's not good either.

Reminder that measured DC values are usually with NO SIGNAL APPLIED! unless otherwise noted.

"Lower the volume of the sound card until you get a sine wave on the scope."

Turn down the level on the generator until it doesn't clip. This amp can be driven into clipping with 0.5V RMS.

"Reminder that measured DC values are usually with NO SIGNAL APPLIED! unless otherwise noted."

I would think that since the preamp board is class A that the DC voltages wouldn't change.

Q5 calls for a Si PNP transistor, the only one I was able to get was a NTE187 T-PNP Si, General purpose output, which is flat unlike the original half circle transistor and also has a little metal tab heat sink things on there. Can I use this transistor instead?

Please do not use NTE or ECG brand transistors. a suitable transistor can be found and will perform better.

As mentioned I would also check the tube preamps output. Switch channels on the amplifier and see if the problem follows. Its not uncommon to have a DC problem on the output of a tube preamp.

NTE. ECG, and SK transistors are all "replacement" transistors, and intended for general purpose repair use. they are suitable for troubleshooting, or a "must have it fixed now" repair. but for high quality audio, i wouldn't use them unless it were an emergency (such as a band needing their crown amp fixed for a gig that night).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi unclejed613,
I normally stocked the proper semi's for band gigs. I always had enough to do matched sets on a channel. Same for popular signal transistors drivers and TO-126 types.

Now I don't have to do this (having sold the shop), but it's still nice to have them. You only need to stock the larger ones in TO-3 and TO-3P these days along with MJL1302 and it's compliment.

I don't see any reason to use those NTE / ECG / SK mystery parts. If the band is that desperate (they don't have any backup amps ???!), they can rent an amp.

-Chris

NTE. ECG, and SK transistors are all "replacement" transistors, and intended for general purpose repair use. they are suitable for troubleshooting, or a "must have it fixed now" repair. but for high quality audio, i wouldn't use them unless it were an emergency (such as a band needing their crown amp fixed for a gig that night).

You cannot count on these transistors to be an exact replacement or sometimes even close. I have seen too much gear and repaired the same that has been touched by an unskilled technician using this junk.

To give a specific example here.. In the last 5 years I have repaired in excess of 75 GAS Ampzilla's, SAE 2200's, 2300's,2400's and 2500's that some morons have tried to use NTE and ECG parts in.

General purpose use....hmmmm I can't think of any off hand. I can however give hundreds of mistaken substitutions that were offered by NTE and ECG. No, you cannot count on them for an emergency repair either. They are best left on the shelf to collect dust.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Joe,
How many real parts can you buy for the price of one "replacement brand"? For signal transistors you can easily buy 10 real ones for every NTE / ECG / SK mystery part you purchase.

When I see these in a unit, they are on the required parts list. That is not negotiable with me.

-Chris ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.