Vintage consol/preamp low noise PSU IC upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There!
My first posting on this forum, thanks for reading, and greetings from Hungary :)
I am in the middle of restauring a vintage Tascam M-208 mixing consol. The consol elctrically is in quite a good shape, but I am planning to recap the power supply unit as well as the monitor PCB and two input channels along with upgrading some of the input cards op amp ICs to the "newer" NE 5532 or some fencier OPAXXXX just to see and measure the difference.
My actual question is regarding the PSU. I realised that it uses older NJM78/79XXA voltage regulator ICs. I tried to compare them with the latest L78/79XX units and found that their A series have much less output noise, while their ripple rejection is significantly lower (58dB vs 70dB). Now I am puzzled, which one is more important in order to get a mixer with less audible noise coming from the PSU at the end of the day... Can anyone help me sort this out.
Cheers,
Laszlo

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.