Vifa XT25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do ribbons have a lousy power response? Is that what you're asking?

The big rippons have a lousy power response because there's a cavity in front of the diaphragm. Just take a look at the Aurum Cantus and you'll see what I mean.

The smaller ones, like the Hi-Vi that you posted, have interference issues due to multiple sources radiating at different points.

Which is why I use compression drivers mounted on waveguides for almost every project.

I do not neglect the importance of off axiss response of a mid driver
But I find that at the moment every one insists on a 2khz cross point, thinking that it will "save the day"

well for some the power response IS with distortion and frequency response, an essential aspect of speaker design.

and taking care of that is not, like you appear to think, choosing a 2khz crossover point.

using a fullrange driver of big diameter is a way to take care of that, as thorsten could tell you, as fr driver is the simpler approach to controlled directivity

using a waveguide is another way, as are dipole speakers, and in fact, in a traditionnal boxed two way, crossing over your tweeter as low as reasonnably possible is a good way to even the power response

BTW , one of the version of the c17 has a waveguided tweeter of same diameter than the woofers, and so is controlled directivity in the midrange ,as the tweeters power response matches the woofers, AND it seems it is also the version that troels prefer, so your point appears to be cancelled

Yeah, good point.

A lot of people say full range speakers measure poorly. But they're only looking at the frequency response. The directivity of a full range is generally more predictable than the directivity of your typical two way.

You can have your cake and eat it too, but it's a lot more work. (i.e., use a waveguide on the tweeter that's matched to the directivity of the woofer.)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ahhh :) controlled directivity ..... isnt that the "opposite" of linear off axiss response

C17 - as far as I can see troels has raised crossoverpoint on his mk4 ?

Confusion....my point is, or should have been that there are no fixed standards and everytime best crossover points ..... every speaker has its own demands ..... and compromises has to be made all the time ..... I thought that was clear

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, so fullrange is good .... so I guess high crossover point would be good too :)

Maybe you could be so kind to explain.... I am a learning by doing man, so theory is not my strongest part

Linear power response .... is that what I experience when I turn up the volume of my amp, and sound is still reproduced smooth, evenly and soft ?? .... entlighten me please..

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
BTW, I thought that a big fullrange had poor off axiss response ? ... and you say it has very good controlled directivity .... well maybe I dont know what it means at all

So... when my speakers sound the same no matter where I sit or stand .... I have actually controlled off axiss ( power response) .... well, thats interesting

tinitus said:
Sorry, short moment of insanity

You didnt comment much on the Hivi tweeter

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=18

It shows quite impressive off axiss response for such a relative big tweeter

Could it be that the frontgrille is acting as a waveguide (with diffraction)

What's so impressive about the off-axis response?

For me, "impressive" would be an off-axis response that's *similar* to the on-axis response, but lower in level. If you look at the xt19's off-axis response, it fits this definition fairly well. It's not perfect.

http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=111

To see how good it can get, and to learn a lot more about controlled directivity for free, I'd recommend reading summa.pdf from www.gedlee.com

:: PB ::

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.