vifa p22wp-01 transmission line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A new breed of feral beast in Australia!!

Its seems to me that ferals are everywhere in Australia, Even some of the local towns people often make the grade!:eek:

Well, I have discovered a new breed of feral, Its the result of crossing the notorious feral tower with the leaking mongrel.

The leaking mongrels were dragged (kicking and screaming) out of the shed, a VERY thick smear of grease or silicon, was applied to anywhere a leak may have been hiding, and, hey presto, no 80hz dip!! (Its now @ 31hz and keeps rolling off!).:D

The feral towers were lopped off @ the top (ish), and now, using the leaking mongrels (tweeter disconnected), and the feral towers (woofers hacked off), I present to you 'The feral mongrels!!':worship:

Funny thing is, for a pair of fugly feral mongrels, they actually sound bloody good! Can't wait to 'Have a tweak!'

Anyhow heres the photos of 'em, (Brace yourself!!). Now thats feral!!!!

woooo hoooo!, Mick.

Attachments

• hi-fi 008.jpg
    hi-fi 008.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 58
  • hi-fi 009.jpg
    hi-fi 009.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 56
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
LOL well done Mick, good ol aussie ingenuity!!! I actually think that they don't look to bad at all.

I'm surprised that a leak can have such a big effect!! That gives me a real incentive to do the new cabs for my 10" woofers!!! The boxes are full of leaks, it would require more than a bit of greace and silicon to seal mine up I think!

Tony.

I'm surprised that a leak can have such a big effect!!

In a sealed cab where typical cheap 'T'-nuts are used to mount the driver, enough air can leak around the bolt threads to audibly changes the box Q higher, so a little blob of duct seal or similar on the threads before installation is a good plan if the driver's gasket isn't a one piece quality neoprene or similar with undersized clearance holes to ensure a good seal against both the baffle and bolt.

GM

Hi Guys,

Indeed, GM, you were right! (again:D), I honestly couldn't believe the difference! The leak must have been near miniscule, but what a difference.
I tried so hard to find a leak last time, you can only imagine my joy when I sealed them properly, and the bastards actually worked!! I shall not make this mistake again!:spin:Thanx heaps GM! (can't say I wasn't told, eh?!)

Tony, I would definately recommend you try sealing the buggers (might be a little driver/box type dependent).

Nah, ya gotta see 'em in the flesh! They are brutally ugly!! Its hard to believe when you set eyes on them, that they could sound anything but shocking, but they actually work quite well. I'm looking forward to having a bit of a tweak. I really think the woofers need to be doubled up before they will really sing:sing: I feel a project coming on.....................

Cheers guys, Thanx again.

Mick.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think you might be right Mick (about trying to seal them but trust me it won't be easy. I did paint them recently thought and I wasn't sure but I thought it might actually have made a difference....

Now you reckon yours are ferral, take a look at this pic I took a while back when I was testing my prototype MTM.

attachment.php

They look slightly better now that I've painted them flat black... 20+ years and I finally got around to it ;) I've also replaced the horrid woven grill cloth as seen in this pick with some black stuff from Jaycar. Amazing the transformation!

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_4264.jpg
    DSC_4264.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 37
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.