Vifa P22WP-01 8" woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But wow, passive radiators are pretty expensive and hard to find. Do you think I could mount another vifa p22 driver on the side of the box for use as the radiator and use the vented box alignment? Mackie slapped an amp on top of the passive radiator, so I don't know how well that was supposed to work.

Using some tools I found on the net, here's my tentative plan.

With a box of 1.5ft^3, I can use an extra vifa p22 as passive radiator without adding any mass (or not very much mass) to attain an fb of 38hz. F3 is roughly around 40hz with this volume according to winisd. I will probably have a baffle of the dimensions 24"H x 10.5"W. The overall outside box dimensions will be 24"H x 10.5"W x 13.5"D. I will try to use the mackie driver layout on the baffle starting from the top down.

I will be powering these with the Alesis M1 bi-amplifier. The crossover is at 1.5khz, 8th order. For the time being, to save money, I may use the cheapie tweeter that apex has, but plan on using a seas 25TAC/G or AUDAX TM025F7 if the project sounds ok. The audax seems like quite a bargain except for an anomaly in the waterfall plot right around the crossover frequency.

Is any of this sound or am I totally off base?

Well, I have spare 3" pvc pipe lying around, that's why :) Is there a problem with using 3"? Shouldn't be any port chuffing, that's for sure right? :p

I guess not using a passive radiator and using a big box really loosens up my budget. Maybe I'll get a nice tweeter for the project after all...

I've also been fiddling around with the box tuning.

So far, I've been looking at 35L@40hz and 50L@35hz.
The smaller box gives me a little more gain between 45-130hz, the bigger box gives me better group delay by a few ms between 45-80hz. Is there something else I should be considering? I don't know how to interpret the phase plots. Also, the back one of the two speakers will be within 12" of a wall - is it essential I mount the port on the front, or am I being paranoid?

Finally, is this project worth doing? I don't want to be throwing my scant pile of money away on something that won't even sound as good as my current speakers.

Did any of you end up making a box? ive been using these drivers for about a yr now , in 32L boxes, ported, cant recall the port length/width , with Vifa tweeters. they sound great but my room is to small, with bad accoustics for mid bass.. I need to have a listen to them in a larger room with less reflections :S . i also would like to measure there response etc, to make the crossover a bit more sophisticated , saying that midrange is great, vocals , drums , come through very clean but powerfull, never tire listening at high volumes :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.