Vifa P21WO-39-08 Woofer - Sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mcp said:

I would like to suggest tweeters as well. Just listen at low volume and identify the resonance.
And after you have finished building your sub and center, you may then decide to make 2 more P13 MTMs' for mains and use the Mission for surrounds. You will then have a very desirable HT system, mains and center all same MTMs'.

be careful with those tweeters. i'd suggest using a L pad pr a small cap just to prevent LF getting in. tweeters have little or no Xmax and if there is too much LF the tweeter lead can break

LF damage.

As Navin said, LF can destroy the tweeter in an instant. You must always use a cap in series with a tweeter. A 10uF non polar or two 22uF in series ( -v leads connected together) would do. Smaller values like 1uF will reduce effective bandwidth too much .
Low voltage units 25 to 50 volts should be sufficient for this purpose.
cheers.

Ashok,

Yes, I have all the parts reqd. The opamps, the power supply, the schematics, the caps ( 2 different values ). The only things required are the RCA input jacks, the case, the transformer & pots for output control. The parts are actually sufficient for one pair of inputs & 3 outputs ie..T / M / W, but I want a 2-way, so with the op-amps left over I want to make the “output control”.

I’ve downloaded the software. Thankyou for the same. I have to figure out how to use it.
Right now I only have the P21’s for the bass-unit & will get the other drivers once this is successful. I was suggesting to Navin, a few of us get together & import the stuff we need. What do you think ? I wonder whether we can get away by just paying the 30% import duty.

Another thing is crossing the P13’s at 100hz ? If it is, mating the P13’s with the D27 should be fine with me. I want to add a zobel & a l-pad to attenuate the sensitivity of the tweeter by 2 db . You’ve a lot of Vifa drivers, whew !!

Once I get the P21’s going I’ll do the mods for the Missions.

Navin,

Thanx for all the info. These past 2 weeks has been information overload for me. When I do the T/M I intend to put in a L-pad to bring down the sensitivity by 2 db to match the Mids. I’m not so confident about wiring it directly & can’t trust myself with the setup.

Do you think stabilizing the impedance using a Zobel is important ? I see so many people doing it, to keep the impedance from wavering too much. Any way all this discussion is way too early. The P21’s are my primary concern at the moment.

Right now, for buying the drivers there’s only you & me. Where do you want to buy the drivers from ? Which country ? Are the links I sent in a earlier post any good ?

Cheers,
sunil

Navin,

In an earlier thread you wrote:

1. Indian customs limit the number of drivers you import as they consider anything more than 6 as commercial qualtities. Using 4 92S and 2 ribbons would make a nice pair. I could then use a single 92S + ribbon for surround and center and that would be 6 drviers too

Does this still apply ? Great we can go ahead & buy our stuff.

Cheers,
sunil

Navin,

from my side, 2 P13's. Any other parts you recommend I buy from abroad like speaker terminals or anything else.

I was thinking of Australia because I have dealt with them before.
If you thing the U.S would be better, then lets do it from there.

Cheers,
sunil

last time i importeed drivers i had to convince the customs they were not for commercial use. the officer then told me since i had imported a variety of stuff it sounded resonable. for example if we import 15 6" woofers the shipment might get defined as commercial quantities. however if you import 6 6", 4 12", 6 1" etc... totalling 16 drivers we might be able to convince the customs that it is not commercial.

also when i importeed the industry was nascent in india few clubs, few people building stuff for commercial, semipro, club use, etc... so there was little awareness. today this has changed too. what the customs have to be convinced of is that we are not going to use teh drivers commercially (sell them to a club, restraunt, etc...).

Singapore dealer.

Hi Sunil,
You can go to www.leda.com.sg
They deal in Vifa/Scanspeak drivers amongst other things. Prices are also given in S$. You can ask them for shipping rates to India.

MX based in Mumbai have a whole range of new generation RCA and speaker connectors including biwireable speaker terminal set.

The chassis mount gold plated RCA sockets are 55 bucks a pair in Chennai. They are not heavily plated and so probably only worth the money. If you plug in and out two dozen times ( like I did ) the plating begins to get paler ! But I am told that this happens with most average priced gold 'plated' sockets. Finish is just acceptable and not as good as the gold plated ones I bought in Tokyo. But it is better than some Taiwanese ones I saw in Singapore which were more expensive.

Better not get too many things the first time. Get some and check out the procedure. Like one customs officer told me some time ago - many people in the department do not want the citizens to know the proper procedure so that they can harass them and get something out of the transaction.
But this is 2003 and many things have improved. The last time I called the customs house for information , they were very polite and gave me the information over the phone. I guess most departments must be as good, now.
Cheers.

Re: Singapore dealer.

ashok said:
You can go to www.leda.com.sg
They deal in Vifa/Scanspeak drivers amongst other things. Prices are also given in S$. You can ask them for shipping rates to India.

MX based in Mumbai have a whole range of new generation RCA and speaker connectors including biwireable speaker terminal set.

i think ust the drivers from leda.com would be what we need. only thing is what are going to import. I would really like to get 2 8" woofers to replace a pair of eminence woofers (OD 210mm). Vifa's M21 might do the trick. anyone have a Vifa 21cm (M21 or P21) driver? what is the real OD 210mm or 215mm? The website says 215mm but this data might not be not 100% accurate.

I dont want to mess with the piano gloss finish of my cabinet hence i would be limited to a driver with an OD of 210mm.

Navin,

Why don't you mail "LEDA" and ask them about the OD for the Vifa's. I did that before I bought my P21's.

I thiink "Leda" seems to be a good deal, I want a pair of the M18's & a pair of D27's. I compared the prices & they're good.

Ashok,

I still need help with the Active XO. Interested in buying some drivers ? I've posted the info you asked for, a couple of posts back, in Page 4 in fact.

Cheers,
sunil

Some more details.

Hi Sunil,
I wanted some more details:

1. How do you select the crossover frequency.
( I assume it is fixed after you solder in the parts).
2. What (supply) voltage do you need for the transformer.
3. Is there an input volume control.
4. Is there a subwoofer output ( mono ).
5. What op amp are you using ( part number).
6. Are the opamps meant to be soldered directly or are they on sockets.

Thanks.
Ashok.

No drivers now. I have too many right now. Haven't finished setting them up yet. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.