Vifa now to be Peerless v-line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the page may just be in need of updating.

In any case, the only Vifa drivers I'd really ever need are the XG/XT18 and the D26NC55 neo tweeter. The XG/XT18 are still there, but the D26NC55 is gone. If that's going to disappear, I'm going to go over the Madisound and buy 20 of them. It's the best small flange neo tweeter.

Good riddance to all the drivers from the 80's and early 90's. I don't think we need the P17 anymore, or any of the other woofers from that time period.

Tell me about it regarding the P13W. Still one of the best midrange / mid-bass drivers after all this time. Let's hope they show some sense and keep it going. Otherwise, like the loss of Concorde, yet another giant leap backward for mankind, because it's still at the cutting edge and there's nothing better to replace it.

Curses.

Scott

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Scottmoose said:
Tell me about it regarding the P13W. Still one of the best midrange / mid-bass drivers after all this time. Let's hope they show some sense and keep it going. Otherwise, like the loss of Concorde, yet another giant leap backward for mankind, because it's still at the cutting edge and there's nothing better to replace it.

Curses.

Scott

Wilmslow Audio still have stocks of the P13W when I checked.

Maybe worth buying a couple of those if they are as dear to your heart as it sounds.

K-amps said:
What about my beloved P13... I like them.... seems gone. :bawling:

I see the XT25 so at least I have replacements....**sigh.

The whole classic line seems to be gone from the Tymphany website.. Absolute Madness!
And they appear to be slowly disappearing.. model by model from distributers too.

Partsexpress have even discontinued the XG18. something is up worldwide

The D25AG, P13WH and P17WJ.. Household names.. just hanging in there. But for how long?!

H26TG05-06 :dead: :bawling:
P11WG00-08 :dead: :crying:
P11WH00-08 :dead: :bawling:
P13WG00-08 :dead: :crying:
P13WH00-08 :bomb:
P17WJ00-08 :bomb:
D25AG35-06 :bomb:

Who would have thought that Vifa would ever disappear?

rabbitz said:
I still think a lot of those drivers will be around for ages as distributors have stock as would Tymphany.

Zaph could be right as the the pages might not be complete.

I'm hoping the page is incomplete but losing optimism.

Local D-S-T distributer in Sydney, WES components just recently updated their link to
D-S-T.
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/drivers/speakers.htm

I might call and ask what the deal is!

Oh well.. See you later Vifa, we'll all miss you:wave:

filgor said:
The whole classic line seems to be gone from the Tymphany website.. Absolute Madness!

Nothing is gone from the line yet, according to Ken Kantor, Founder and CTO of Tymphany. Over at Madisound, Ken started a thread to get the input of DIY'ers on what happens to the new line. He's flying a couple selected DIY'ers to a Tymphany meeting to help discuss the fate of the old product lines.

Those of you who are worried about what Tymphany/DST may offer to DIY'ers can put those worries to rest. The combined sales of drivers to the DIY market is at least equal to one of their top ten customers, and Tymphany won't ignore us. Ken Kantor is a DIY'er himself and he keeps in touch with us.

Meanwhile, please head over to my surveys and select the model line and individual driver you are most likely to purchase next. While this poll is not the deciding factor, Tymphany will be looking at it.

And before anyone asks, the way this survey works is that you only get ONE selection. So if you are worried about the future of 6 drivers, pick only the single one you're most worried about. (one selection per ip address)

http://www.zaphaudio.com/CGI-BIN/vifapoll-1.cgi - product lines

http://www.zaphaudio.com/CGI-BIN/vifapoll-2.cgi - individual drivers

Partsexpress have even discontinued the XG18. something is up worldwide

Parts Express is phasing out Vifa drivers because they compete with their own line. Madisound currently carries all available Vifa drivers and they always will. I just bought four XG18's there myself.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Personally I think its a great idea to slim the line down. There's a load of chaff in the current line up that's either not competitive or just plain bad.

One driver I wouldn't miss is the Vfia D75 dome mid - its pretty bad in light of something such as Seas M15CH which isn't far off its price.

Others to go would be a couple of the Poly cone woofers and mid/bass drivers. They're old old and just not competitive against more recent entries from the likes of dayton, seas, AC etc.

Zaph said:

Parts Express is phasing out Vifa drivers because they compete with their own line. Madisound currently carries all available Vifa drivers and they always will. I just bought four XG18's there myself.

OK.. I'll calm down. They still have them locally from WES in sydney.

I dont buy from the U.S. I just saw it as a bad sign

K-amps said:

Shin... you dont mean the P13 do you?

:dead:

Of course he doesn't. Who could suggest such a thing of the P13?! :D

Then again perhaps they have had their day.. I'm a broken man :(

I have used many Mids in my DIY prototype... none easier to work with than the P13. They just drop in... smooth, non fatiguing and palpable. The only issue I have is that "maybe" they are not as detailed as other mids out there.... any thoughts on that or is it my mind playing tricks ?:rolleyes:

Slightly off-topic... but does anyone have ideas for a 2" to 4" mid driver (with lots of detail) inserted between the P13 and the XT25?

I like the P13/ XT25 combo but knowing the XT25 does not like it below 3kHz (and in my case because I willbe running it high SPL) so about 5-6kHz, that's too high for the P13. So I am left with the option of inserting a bandpass HFdriver/ mid covering 1.5kHz to 5kHz range that will have the dual purpose of relieving the XT25 as well as giving me the details (I think) I am missing.

Please feel free to let me know if I offended anyone by posting this question on this thread, apologies in advance. :)

Australian Distributers

Hey Rabbitz,

One of the reasons I'm using mostly Vifa is coz I buy through WES and dont like the clipped and bevelled frames on Peerless. do you know of any good distributers in NSW for other decent quality resonably priced drivers. Seas maybe.

K-amps said:
I have used many Mids in my DIY prototype... none easier to work with than the P13. They just drop in... smooth, non fatiguing and palpable. The only issue I have is that "maybe" they are not as detailed as other mids out there.... any thoughts on that or is it my mind playing tricks ?:rolleyes:

All the detail is there mate... Your mind is just ****ing with you! :rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.