VHS for recording and playback?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
VHS HiFi is a poor long term medium.

Tapes deteriorate and get damaged. Many machines had very poor head life and were very fussy with regard to the HiFi soundtrack which is recorded "under" the video signal on the tape. Tape path alignment was critical and prone to wear and drift.

It's an analogue medium and although it was clever at the time it's of little more than curiosity value now. Listened to critically the failings were apparent. You could often "hear" low level switching artifacts from the head drum switching on many machines.

There were some machines (Sony Beta) that could be used with a PCM adapter but these are a totally different concept... and still these days a poor long term choice.

I totally agree on this. But these tape damages imply for cassettes too right?
The magnetic tape is still the only analogue medium for home recording even today (am I wrong?). Why one should go for the ordinary cassette when there is a better and cheaper alternative for analogue home recording like the vhs hi-fi? (if it is better at last)

Last edited:
I totally agree on this. But these tape damages imply for cassettes too right?
The magnetic tape is still the only analogue medium for home recording even today (am I wrong?). Why one should go for the ordinary cassette when there is a better and cheaper alternative for analogue home recording like the vhs hi-fi? (if it is better at last)

When damaged, a recording on a VHS-tape wil likely be worthless due to tracking errors (we have all rented video's before, haven't we). Recordings on ordinary cassettes will still be listenable.

When damaged, a recording on a VHS-tape wil likely be worthless due to tracking errors (we have all rented video's before, haven't we). Recordings on ordinary cassettes will still be listenable.

Well that could be a reason. Maybe one needs to select the right tape for recording, for example High Definition PRO or HX PRO tapes:

Standard or High Standard
For normal TV recordings on any video recorder

High Grade or Extra High Grade
For recordings from TV or camcorder on a modern video recorder, aiming at optimal image and sound quality.

High Grade Hi-fi or Extra High Grade Hi-fi
Recordings on a hi-fi-video recorder, striving for the highest audio quality.

High Definition PRO or HX PRO
For valuable recordings that need to stay in top condition for years or for more demanding applications with electronic tape editing. It has a slightly thicker tape.

S-VHS Video Cassette
For Super-VHS recordings on a S-VHS video recorder.

post18 hits it.

FM modulation of sound track separate from the video modulation.
I experimented with it for a short while.
My manual gave three methods of operation.
Video + linear soundtrack
Video + FM soundtrack.
FM soundtrack alone (yes switchable to a sound only recorder/playback) for HiFi Stereo.

It appeared to be a lot better than my old Akai 4track (good bandwidth but poor W+F = frequency wobble). At least as good as my Nak cassette.

It appeared to be a good medium for recording sound.

diy

I am thinking of taking apart all the electronics of a hi-fi stereo VHS and keep the mechanical construction. Then build some fine quality audio electronics for it.

One thing I consider is the Record head. Does anyone know how audio recording is done, how many tracks has the head for audio etc. Or maybe I can use the video head? Please help a bit. The tape width is enough to ensure high quality but the head has been designed for fideo so It cannot compare to the reel-to-reel decks.

Hey, maybe I could buy a reel-to-reel and ruin it's head to fit it inside the vhs, but why on earth one should do this? ..for the compact size of the vhs tape compared to reel-to-reel oe would say..)
The very idea seems to be a real one for a serious DIY-er with good engineering skills. Both VHS tape transport and cassette have enough space for three or four large wide track tape heads. Electronics may be based on tubes, and be a separate component apart from transport. Could be a good business project some 20 years ago...

Oh i did all this YEARS ago! and I have had several setups for this and NONE have worked really well mainly due to the poor medium. VHS tape frankly is terrible!

I have had several VHS decks pre-sumer and pro that had adjustable recording levels for the Hi-Fi tracks etc. and yes the sound quality can be good. but the tape drop outs are a killer. brand new tapes would drop out in the middle of a song, the decks would damage the edges of the tapes during fast wind modes and forget about shuttling!

I dreamnt of owning one of those Technics VHS audio decks back in the early 80's. they were cool! but honestly today there are just much much better ways!

and honestly that sony deck is just not the machine to do this with anyway! you can pick up the panasonic pro decks for cheap these days and they have a MUCH more reliable transport system, better tracking systems, better heads, better tape servos, better everything!

I like the idea of setting the sony deck afloat and sending it down with some fireworks. maybe take a block of foam and a circle of bottle rockets and sparklers on top with a M80 right in the middle for the big finale!! he he

Zc

It wasn't the tape but the slow speed that was the problem. You'd have to speed up the tape speed X8 to get it to run at 7.5ips, but then you'd only have 22 mins running time.
The tape dropouts were only a problem when the video tracks were also recorded, and none of the panasonic pro machines gave you the option of running HiFi only so they were no good at all. I used to service them in the 80's and frankly they were worse than many domestic machines.

I found the limitations of VHS weren't so much the tape, but cheap recorders. I have tapes I recorded from the early eighties that still look and sound just fine. However I put one of those same tapes into a cheap VCR and it looks and sounds like crap.

Tape speed is just fine fer gossake. The head spins to compensate for relative head to tape speed. The system BW is adequate enough to do full chroma BW. Any linear analog tracks wouldn't be worth much but the HIFi stereo info gets laid down with the video using the spinning head.

As to the minidisc thing, it's a supper system... that Sony made totally unacceptable. I shelled out $200 for one specifically for making live recordings only to discover that no full quality first gen recordings can be ported into computer for burning. That whole check songs in and out hooey just soured the entire format for me. Sony's attitude seemed to be if it's a llive recording it's violating somebodies copyright to allow a full quallity copy of it. Fine, but I was a musician who wrote and wanted to record and burn original works and the dang thing wouldn't let me. Sony of course didn't put that info on the package. I consider that fraud. Haven't bought a single Sony product since. Best live recording option today is a Zoom H4. Superb quality in a reasonably priced handheld unit.
Doc

Last edited:
I found the limitations of VHS weren't so much the tape, but cheap recorders. I have tapes I recorded from the early eighties that still look and sound just fine. However I put one of those same tapes into a cheap VCR and it looks and sounds like crap.

Tape speed is just fine fer gossake. The head spins to compensate for relative head to tape speed. The system BW is adequate enough to do full chroma BW. Any linear analog tracks wouldn't be worth much but the HIFi stereo info gets laid down with the video using the spinning head.

You're mistaken (or possibly just mis-spoken) about the bandwidth. Consumer VCRs down convert the chroma via hetrodyning IIRC 688 KHz for VHS and 692 KHz for beta / U-Matic and is AM. The luma bandwidth is barely over 2 MHz on an FM carrier around 4-5 MHz. The AFM tracks are FM in the 1.5 - 2 MHz carrier frequency, 1 carrier per channel. The heterodyne process allows some very poor quality time base correction and that's about it. Pretty slick for $50.

The only full bandwidth analog video machine for home use was the LaserDisc but there were no consumer recordable discs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.