VFET-X (or my 1/3 40th Anniversary Sony VFET Clone)

Next is to design a top plate and a nice frontpanel, Schaeffer AG (Frontpanelexpress) doesn't make thicker panels than 10mm. I would like to have a thick 20mm panel CNC-ed, like the real Passlabs amps and the Sony 40 years VFET amp from Nelson.
Any suggestions are welcome!

What a project this was, took me all winter to build it :D

Walter

Maybe if Papa reads this and is inspired by your DIY efforts he could make you some! :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Walter:

My first thought was to comment on how extraordinary your VFET amplifier looks but then caught myself: you are a rare breed, incredibly meticulous and possessing the knack for very intelligent design and smart, artistic construction. Your VFET amp is certainly impressive when compared to what your peers here are building but it is perfectly consistent with your other projects. So it really isn't extraordinary, after all. But still brilliant.

We're all jealous (well, I certainly am) and impressed. I look forward to reading your observations regarding your VFET amp's sonics.

Kudos,
Scott

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello Walter,

Mighty impressed with this build, the weight problem reminds me of my F5T build ;-)

If you don't mind, out of curiosity, how did you make the holes for the TO220 cases in the 60x60x6 mm T bar, did you use an extra long drill?

Kind regards

Bert

haaha, yes sometimes if I want to move it, I think it is sticking to the ground somehow... but then I just have to pull harder:D

What do you mean with the TO220 cases? You mean the TO-3, I think?
Yes, the drill chuck ( google translate - i didn't know that word) from my drillpress is not that wide and putting in the drill not to deep did help.

TO-3 or not TO-3

"What do you mean with the TO220 cases? You mean the TO-3, I think?"

Hi Walter, this happens when a true amature tries to keep up with the DiY big boy's yep, i did mean the TO-3 cases.
Thanks for the feedback , happy listening, and be careful with the back, when moving this peace of fine ART, and art spelled right, with BIG letters.

The pictures you supply with your projects are very inspiring, and makes my fingers itch to start a new project, however time is the limiting factor for me.

Looking forward to your next project

Grtz Bert

I recently had the pleasure to visit Walter and to see and listen to his VFETX beast amp.
We took our time and listened to the CSX1 first. Then we hooked the VFETX to my preamp ( balanced soekris with the bruno putney balanced preamp).
I think it is good to give Walter some time to get used to the Amp, so my opinion is just an indication, he will surely comment later on.
Anyway I was very impressed with the sound, bass was very tight, great soundstage. It really drew you into the music. We noticed a quiet large difference between global feedback and no GFB, I liked it better without GFB, the music had a very upfront sound.
I really liked the setup of the dac, preamp, amp and the speakers.
Well worth the effort imho.