very HQ stereo analog audio input for Raspberry Pi - any options?

If you are looking for a stereo ADC for your Raspberry Pi, HiFiBerry has released their DAC+ADC "Pro" version, with improved specs for the ADC:
HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC Pro | HiFiBerry

I have used and measured the predecessor DAC+ADC board and its a good product. The "pro" version only gets better. These HATs are very easy to install, and keep the overall form factor small.

This is no longer made by Novation, and seems to be no longer available for purchase (your amazon link is sold out, for example).

Any interface that fits the "very high quality" level should have clear audio specs for THD, distortion, input and output levels, etc.etc. This product has absolutely no specs that I could find anywhere. It was marketed for DJ or light road use. I would not consider it a serious audio interface.

There are lots of gadgets like this that work under Linux as ADC/DAC but few are "very high quality", especially on the ADC side. For example, the Focusrite Scarlett line is very good and works under Linux but not in the "top tier".
Not like you to give up a search so quick Charlie..:D
Specs are in the manual.Manual is downloadable from the Novation website.
From your first post you commented...
In terms of THD or THD+N these are not bad (THD+N is around -80dB to -85dB). I would like another 10dB or more.
and as the device met that I assumed it met your requirements..perhaps they have changed since then.:)

Yes, I know it is no longer made. I was not expecting much when I won it as part of an auction but was pleasantly surprised and given the low price used I thought to note it as an option. Being USB it gives some more options and interoperability amongst devices.

Cheers,
Bob

Not like you to give up a search so quick Charlie..:D
Specs are in the manual.Manual is downloadable from the Novation website.
From your first post you commented...
I looked for it on the Novation web site but the product does not appear... maybe it is not available in my country?

Thanks for the info. I would like to read more about it. Can you provide a link to the manual?

hello all, almost one year later... is the hifiberry still the "state of the art" in ADCs for Pi?
is anyone using this or other solution to listen to an analog source remotely through pi/wifi/upnp/whatever ? if yes, what are the choices? i have heard of web radio (darkice-icecast). any other?
thanks!

Finding a good quality ADC for the Pi is still a challenge. If you want something better than the HiFiBerry solution, I suggest you look into external USB audio recording interfaces. They will cost more but will have less noise and probably somewhat better distortion performance, etc. For example the MOTU M2 for $169 is a good deal. You can use whatever you would like, just make sure it is compatible with Linux under the kernel that comes along with the OS. For the M2 this must be kernel 5.8 or higher (the latest Raspian OS uses kernel 5.10 I think). Something from the Focusrite Scarlett line (except the "Solo") might also work for you and will be Linux compatible. A used one on Ebay might be a deal.

thanks, all those seem valid and affordable quality possibilities.
i wish some diy or industry people squeeze them into a pi hat, then we can take full advantage of one of the best things of a pi (IMO): put everything in a small box, hide it somewhere between the cables, and forget about it

thanks Drone7, i see you got the small ADC from Audiophonics to work, that is 3 fold less the price of th hifiberry adc.
Leaving besides price, do you think both ADC are athe same level or is any of them going to give better results?
are you aware of any instructions (for dummies) on how to install the audiophonics board?

I've not tried the HiFiBerry board so can't offer any valid comparison.

I have other HiFiBerry Hats which is why I tried the Audiophonics ADC...(actually it was an even cheaper clone or unbranded version...I will look for a link)

I will see what I can cobble together for an instruction when I am next in the workshop. :)

Last edited:
Nothing else plugged to the pi. Hmdi dissabled. Only a pi zero w + miniboss dac. Basically with all my usb chargers between 0.5 and 2A i get both volumio and Moode to work but no audio out of the miniboss.
With the most powerful i have, 2,5A i get audio out of the miniboss with volumio, but not yet with Moode. My objective is to use Moode, so i keep on trying. I asked Allo, lets see what they suggest. In parallel, as ideal solution, i have asked here separately for something that can give a decent current on 5V for the pi + power my desktop amp at 19-24V, lets see what people suggest.

For a capable and (used) affordable Linux USB option the Novation 24/96 device works well. Recognised ootb on Linux Distros and Raspberry Pi..:)

Published specs:

Attachments

• 97B3115E-0FA1-4ADB-B1F8-333817683500.jpeg
    97B3115E-0FA1-4ADB-B1F8-333817683500.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 191