Vegetarian cooking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kale ?

Geugle => Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, it's frckng boerenkool, the one thing that exits me the way it enters.
In reality : No Way !!

Well, I was so with this sometime, when in my youthful soot.
It would have been possible to drive me into some circle around the world with the help of a little kale.
I do not endure its smell now though, but I can consume it for a vegetable dish already now.
Amidst some motherfking.
But this I would be prepared for you with pleasure, you would not throw it up after all possibly:

Cabbage casserole from kale:

http://ugoylw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pATPDwm5pqp4hFDZECUTtwxxnt919CDPkZV9iQMJPMhHev-So-Vjz7OJCbNhaa9ubc30-LS2bkz13caYRCUDW5mkHtXjghey_/IMG_3335_1.jpg?psid=1

Not strictly vegetarian food, since it contains minced pork. But you do not must have to put as much meat in this than I like. I made this yesterday, this is even better when heated.

Now I'm probably like this too.

jacco,
I would agree that there are tastier green vegetables given the option but when the winter is deep and cold, the Kale keeps growing and will feed you; and it is actually full of goodness and thus very good for you.
It does go in and come out green if you eat enough; but who's looking?!
It is alot better than "Okra" (ladies fingers) slimey green muck.

Do it right and okra is not slimy at all. The Indian methods of prep are, IMO, the best in that regard- high heat, very little added moisture.

We got some gorgeous collard greens from our local CSA (this is a program common in the US, where independent farmers sell their produce direct as bundles- highly recommended!) in this week's box. Destemmed, rinsed, and cut into ribbons. I diced a small onion, sauteed it in olive oil until transparent, then added some minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir around for a few seconds until the garlic aroma wafted upward, then added the collards. After they collapsed a bit, I added a little vegetable broth, half a teaspoon of molasses, a teaspoon of barbeque sauce, a little salt, and a pinch of pimenton. Covered and cooked for 45 minutes or so, adding a little broth now and then when the greens appeared to be drying out. Served over polenta- tender texture, deep flavor. Grits would also be an excellent starch base.

Hi Sy,
I have just had wood smoked bacon (smoked over oak wood chips for a long time and only half a mile from where I live) and eggs on granary toast, but reading your last post has made me hungry again! The smell of bacon frying can convert vegetarians and the smell of garlic is just heavenly; well apart from the following day's garlic breath!
Maybe I will try Okra again sometime!? They are like many vegetables, often over cooked. Stir frying is one of the best way of cooking veg......"just" cooked through with a little hint of crunch to the veg.
I love food and should be the size of a house by now; but I'm not........yet!

Tonights dinner was plain Basmati rice, Masoor Dal with Vegetables and Mushrooms & Potatoes cooked with garlic and ginger.

Pointed out to the offspring that it was a vego dinner and they hadn't even noticed - flavour and texture rules!

We are lucky down under that we are exposed to such a variety of ethnic cuisines, many with tasty vego options.

Just stumbled across this interesting thread.
How come it started as a VEG thread and people are still throwing in 'meat' information ? Lets stick to just VEG on this one and open another thread for non-veg. That way we will not mix up recipes and ideas.

I'll put up some interesting simple ones soon. Some recipes my mom taught me.

One is a simple vegetable stew ( using coconut milk) and another is just plain slow cooked vegetables which tastes wonderful in spite of the fact that it has hardly any spices.

I have a nice chicken recipe that is also spice free ( almost) but tastes wonderful. Will someone start a thread for that ( non-veg !). An off shoot of this thread.

Yeah you are right ashok,
I myself do not think you can can get any better than eating your own home grown veg.(as I have already said) with the absolute minimum done to it. There is no point in hiding the natural flavour of a vegetable when it has worked so hard to grow for you.
If you cook a vegetable then steam it whilst testing it with a skewer until just cooked. If eaten raw like with salad leaf of various descriptions then all is needed is the best olive oil that you can find drizzled over it with a twist of mineral or sea salt.
Of course there are a multitude of dressings that you "can" use but salad veg. have quite subtle flavours which are a joy in themselves and can be lost easily.
Mange Tout and Sugar Snap peas pulled fresh from the plant are divine. Young carrots pulled from the soil and washed and eaten immediately......still twitching so to speak.... amazing flavour!
If you do not grow your own veg. then I urge you to do so immediately.(if possible) You get free excercise, fresh air and food that isn't tainted by plastic wrap and has not travelled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to your plate. You know exactly where it has been and who has handled it and what has been added to grow it.
You can grow anywhere almost, even salad crops in window boxes several floors up. The satisfaction is immense.
For a lot of people it is only apathy that prevents them but when you break through that, it becomes a pure joy.

I've been having fun with some raw food using a vita-mix blender, which can turn rocks to sand. It can liquefy any nasty vegetable to drinkable form in short order.

Today, cup of raw kale, banana, 1/2 guacamole, blueberries, water, low-fat soy milk.

Ummmmm... DONUTS....

We have a Blendtec programmable blender and use it mainly for green smoothies. It has gotten easy to purchase raw organic fruits and vegtables. It is much safer to eat raw organic produce than high pesticide big-farm produce. Even organic produce requires a good cleaning: 1) water wash and spin dry; 2) white vinegar wash (lemon juice sometmes added); 3) water wash and spin dry. We wash one day's worth of produce in the morning and vacuum store portions in canning jars for later in the day. This makes it easier to avoid the temptation of a quickie donut snack. Stored juice quickly loses it magic taste. It is considered safer to pressure cook or steam fruits and vegtables fed to young children.

Green Smoothie = liquid base + leafy greens + veggies + fruit + special ingredients.

A mix of powered proteins like whey, soy, egg white, brown rice, grean pea, and water creates a good liquid base.

Spinach, kale, romaine, carrots, parsely, celery, mixed greens... are commonly available organic produce. Organic bananas, blueberries, red grapes, apples, lemons, are typically available.

You can run almonds, soy nuts, flaxseeds, etc.., through the blender and then add this powered meal to the smoothie liquid base.

Attachments

• homero-simpson-donut.jpg
    homero-simpson-donut.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 68
  • green-smoothie.jpg
    green-smoothie.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 67
  • !BkRd+U!!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKjMEsmGs!I0hBLW4,yHKV!~~_12.jpg
    !BkRd+U!!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKjMEsmGs!I0hBLW4,yHKV!~~_12.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 70
Tamales! Something which really can't be obtained in their truly delicious form outside of certain regions of the US southwest. These might have been the Best Ever. We stuffed some of them with strips of roasted Hatch chiles (we roasted and froze over 50 pounds of those fabulous chiles during the three week season here) and queso fresco; for others, we used roasted butternut squash with chipotle and a dash of smoked red savina. Elaina's masa, but my Spanish was insufficient to get all of the subtleties of how she made it so decadently delicious.

My Mythologie: The Art of Tamales

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.