VAS thermal tracking and distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2sa1381/c3503

Hi,
they're really good at 100V. P(100v)=6.7W, I(100v)=67mA.
but Sanyo cheat with the Cob quoting the 30Vce value.
At 10Vce Cob=4pF & 4.6pF still pretty good and excellent for a 300Vce0 device.
Can one order hFE (10mA) F rank (160 to 320)? and judging by the graphs these hold steady (+0-10%) from 0.5mA to 30mA.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
syn08 said:

Glen:

I've noticed that Mouser stocks and sells (for 25 cents in 10's quantities) the Fairchild KSA1381/KSC3503. These are some decent video amp devices, with Cob under 3pf. You may want to give them a shot. According to my measurements they are not quite at the performance of 2SA1407/2SC3601 but, from a price/performance perspective, they are still excellent devices for a high performance VAS.

Datasheets are available on the Fairchild web site.

Thanks!
I'll look them up.

Cheers,
Glen

Hanging my head in shame

Now I'm really embarrassed.

In transferring parts from one of these amps to a 100W board, so I could prototype it using TO-126 VAS transistors, I found I'd used 33K load resistors in the input diffamp, rather than 18K ones.

Further investigation revealed that my 18K resistor stash was half full of 33K resistors. Of course, they're too small to read, unless you're looking under a microscope.

After putting the correct resistors in to the other one (I made a stereo pair), I'm now getting 0.0027% THD at 1KHz, and the output offset is solid as a rock.

I'm such a dork. :smash:

That said though, the single-ended to differential stage with separate SOT-23s is still way too sensitive to random air drafts and stuff for my liking.

So I'll still build the cool tiny TO-126 version, 'cos it's, well, tiny. And cool. But I'll definitely knock a version together using IMT8s and IMX4s as the second-stage diffamps, 'cos that might be even cooler.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.