VAS buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Mr Self has 2 VAS buffer type. (Attached bellow).
1- VAS with CCS + buffer with CCS
2- VAS + Buffer with CCS

I´m very interested in to know the pro and cons the each type of VAS.
Thanks

Attachments

• Self Vas + Buffer.JPG
    Self Vas + Buffer.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 908
A few weeks ago, I was wondering in a post about the reason why such buffers are almost never seen on schematics, at leat on the recent ones. No answer at all.
Is there some rebuttal towards single ended buffers ? In that case, why not to use a White buffer (with a clean power supply) which has the nice feature of a well defined quiescent current.

Guillermo,

I like 2SC1845 for VAS (110MHz, Cob 1.6pF, beta 600, super low noise, 50mA but watch the dissipation, only 500mW, don't run it over about 150mW), and 2SC1360 for the buffer. However, since the buffer is an EF, and intrinsically fast, you could use any relatively high voltage device here, such as a 2SA1837, BF470, or even a cheap BD140 if operating at low voltage.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your advice.
However my main question still remains : why is a VAS follower loaded by a CCS is almost not used, even in the D. Self's published schematics ?

In his 5th edition book, Self praised the White follower. Its default of having a low PSRR (my simulation shows about 30 dB for single transistors and 50 dB for Szilkai pairs) can probably adequately got around using a clean power supply and/or a lot of low frequency NFB. What do you think ?

Hi Lumba Ogir,
forr,
If so, it´s deeply deplorable, the always present conflicting factors should be shown and taken into account.

Could you tell what are the negative factors as the positive ones are already known ?

Lovely amplifier... awsome circuit solutions, interesting protection

Nice bootstrapp uncalibrated...there are several interesting solutions applied.

I will assemble.... will be the next to be tweaked for sonics.

This one is a promisse of high quality, excelency in measurements, for sure..we gonna see the sonics.

thank you Geirin.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Lovely amplifier.jpg
    Lovely amplifier.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 160
Yes...i am already using the Dx Amplifier output into the simulator

I felt in love by this circuit...it looks better than mine.... maybe will sound better, and this i want to know.

If really sounded better..hehehehe..new Dx will born..will be Grundig by Dx.... Grundex!... will migrate from Aksadex to Grundex..ahahahahahah!

Interesting solutions applied, double bootstrapp, but with different values related positive and negative side...this may be because selecting harmonic distortions to fell into nicer frequencies.....well, there are a lot of things i loved in this unit.

Passion..... i will try to find this unit in Brasil.... i would like to buy the unit.... i think this amplifier is impeccable.... about the sound..only listening and tweaking.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.