• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve Pre for Chip Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FastEddy said:
" ... How much was it for a set of psu boards and set of aussie amplifier boards ? do you like them ? I have ordered stuff from anthony before and he is really good. ..."

Yes I like them. They sound very clear, plenty of guts in the base range. ... very subjective listening tests ... my old 'scope can't see any distortion at low levels, but clipping at high levels is rounded without significant harmonics, etc. ... a better test device might show more, but I'm too busy to buy more test equipment.

Order directly from Anthony Holton at aussieamplifiers.com ... A full set, 2 amp boards and 2 PS filter boards (PSU#2), shipped to the USA was about US$330 or so. I believe it is more than worth it !!

:smash:

I'll email him i just want the boards not the amp's :D

Kooka: PayPal is easiest for me as there are no added costs for exchange rates, etc., and the $$ >> EU$ transfer is <<24 hours.

There is no rush as I have a couple of other projects in the frying pan. 10 days to several weeks will be fine = after January 1 is fine as well.

Let me know when the funds are needed.

Ship to: http://industrialcomponent.com/contact.html

Thanks

(I modified one of these: http://www.behringer.com/MIC2200/index.cfm?lang=ENG ... without much success = not as clean as I wanted. US$80, wasted, but I might gut it and install these boards in the case = probably have to use those "lay down" tube sockets to make it fit.)

Hi, I was wondering if someone can Post a Parts list that shows what Values all components are in the PCB Layout for the Tube preamp so those of us who want to make our own boards will know what the Parts are and were they go?? also any other documentation on what voltages are needed to run the preamp??

Thanx a Lot!!!

Going ahead: on the front we have the squeezebox3 display, on the left its psu (5v 2ah) and its trafo. The black plexiglass shield on the tube is not to let the tube little light come out on the front, since the front will be a smoked plexi. Obviously the big trafo will be in a case by itself (i say "obviously" because it does not fit in this one...)

Attachments

• cimg11902.jpg
    cimg11902.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 996
Nordic wants the bare board photo or image or pdf or AutoCAD or any other ... files so he can make his own board(s) ... :)

Personally, I would rather have finished boards straight from the source (or a complete kit of parts & boards).

Kooka: How does that SqueezeBox sound through a valve pre-amp ?? I have mine hooked directly to an old Sony current dump MOSFET amp, using the computer / software to control levels and Internet radio channels = this works very well indeed.

I understand the logic of having a valve between a digital source and the power amp = the valve rounds off the harsher, often clipped, compressed or overdriven, INet radio audio out of the SqBx 3 ... (not the fault of the Squeeze Box, but the result of "CD quality" audio sources.)

Which connections are you hooking to on the SqBx circuit board?? (I connect directly to the RCA (24 bit/96k DAC) analog outputs without opening the SqBx case.)

No, I don't have any other image/file of the board.
I still did not connected the squeezebox to this preamp, but I run the squeezebox with a Marantz7 tube preamp and GC monoblocks and it works very well.
I opened the squeezebox and removed it from the case (6 screws: 20 seconds to do it) and connect the rca's to the commuter and then to the preamp (maybe I did not understand your point, here).
To eliminate the harshness of the digital signal squeezebox also have a BB dac, it should work in some way...

Kooka said:
No, I don't have any other image/file of the board.
I still did not connected the squeezebox to this preamp, but I run the squeezebox with a Marantz7 tube preamp and GC monoblocks and it works very well.
I opened the squeezebox and removed it from the case (6 screws: 20 seconds to do it) and connect the rca's to the commuter and then to the preamp (maybe I did not understand your point, here).
To eliminate the harshness of the digital signal squeezebox also have a BB dac, it should work in some way...

Didn't you creat this board with eagle ?

Where are those files ?

" ... connect the rca's to the commuter and then to the preamp (maybe I did not understand your point, here). ... To eliminate the harshness of the digital signal squeezebox also have a BB dac, it should work in some way... "

I am just suggesting that a Valve pre-amp might handle any clipping (harshness) better than a solid state pre-amp, resulting in a "smoothing" of any clipped audio. (The SqueezeBox's simulated VU meters indicate regular clipping from many of the lower resolution Internet sources = check out Virgin Radio's audio streams = 32 bit/44k stereo with lots of clipping & compression. Same, same for heavily clipped & compressed MP3 / WAV files of "CD quality", quality being the inoperative word here. :bawling: )

BB = Burr Brown (TI), I assume. (The SqueezeBox supposedly has a BurrBrown 24bit/96k D to A on board and out through those RCA connectors ... but the implimentation may not be as good as your DAC.)

commuter = computer? In the case of the SqueezeBox and some other digital sources, I try to limit the various digital manipulations between the digital sources and the analog inputs ... believing that in many cases the data (the music) gets transposed through too many compression and expansion scenarios ... direct connect between the SqueezeBox (and others) producing the best audio results, generally.

Pictures to follow ... :smash:

pics: http://3dotaudio.com/audiopics.html ... slow loading, big jpgs.

Squeeze Box 3 direct connected to Sony current dump amp, gain set to maximum, tone controls set flat, level controlled by Mac Mini on a LAN.

(The office system ... it gets rebuilt about once a week. Speakers are : http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG ... and they really sound good when placed in the middle of the room without reflecting walls close by.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.