• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve pre-amp maintenance and purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tony - I hope so!!

Poohbah - I agree with the time versus money at this time in my life!

When you say state my objectives, what do you mean?

What I want out of a pre-amp:

- 2/3 inputs
- A phono stage (or provision to add one in the future - I'm still to buy a record deck)
- 2 pairs of outputs for bi-amping (not a must)
- A warm, smooth sound
- Run on 230v i.e UK spec power supply.

I also believe that stepped attenuators are the way to go for volume control, but I suppose this could be a later upgrade.

Tweeker,

I had entertain all kinds of Japanese engineers, at my home.

I had to teach them that in the U.S. we don't eat the fat, bones, shells, seriously.

I bought a "box" of king crab once for a dinner party... about $75, no biggy. these guys freaked. I had to teach them how I would gently steam it... and then we would dip in butter to eat.

Then I had to throw the shells in the trash BEFORE they would eat them.

I didn't know at the time that that amount of King Crab would get you a house, car, wife in Japan.

:D

A bit more info on the system the pre-amp will be used in.

Shortly I hope to take delivery of a diyparadise Monica 2 NOS Dac (my father has derek sheks 1543 and I loved it) and 2 Charlize class T amps. My speakers are humble B&W 602s but this may all change soon as they are possibly sold. I have some vintage B&W DM7's (awful efficiency - 86dB, but excellent sound) in the loft which I will use for a while. I will also be temporarily be using a DVD player as my transport if I sell my Arcam 7SE.

Future plans include a Meridian 200/500 CD transport & new speakers.
Also, I can see myself going to valves in a few years (if the DIY pre-amp goes well!)

So, all in all I want a pre-amp that'll work well with the class T amps and the valve amps in the future (or be easily adaptable to work well with valve amps - i heard 300B's a few years ago and was blown away!).

Oh and ideally I'd like it all to cost no more than $300!

Cheers,
Mark

Tony,

If you sense good, then you are a smart man.

Committed,

My point is: ask for, or post, a good design early. Beware of people that extole the virtues of really expensive stuff. I have not seen ONE, and I mean ONE, "expensive audiophile" thing yet, that wasn't cr@p (except transformers). Don't listen to people that talk about cables or capacitors (too much).

It is and will remain about design...

:D

arnoldc said:
commited, i built a Foreplay for P2,500 (~40 Euro) :D

Now, can somebody tell me if Bottlehead's Foreplay is bad or good engineering?

Wow :eek: How did you build an pre-amp so cheaply? The kit sells for $369!!

Tony said:
how about this one?http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68267

very easy build, you may not need that much gain anyway.

That one looks very simple! I think the hard part will be the power supply.

Why would I not need much gain?

I have been looking at this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7761
Seems like a nice design.

Though, ideally I'd like an amp with an input switch.
Also, is it possible to integrate a headphone socket into a valve pre-amp?

Why would I not need much gain?

Nearly all modern sources (CD, DVD, satellite, MP3 players...) have high level outputs and can clip nearly any modern power amp. So all a preamp has to do is switch, adjust level, buffer, and (optionally) vary frequency response. In my case, I have unity gain and that's just fine. 6dB of gain is the most that one could ever need.

Ideally, a phono preamp would be designed to give a 2-2.5 VRMS output to match the level of other sources. And really, it's best to build it right into the turntable, effectively turning it into a high level source component like a CD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.