• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve pre-amp maintenance and purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
arnoldc said:
mark, the power supply does not have to be THAT complicated. i have a preamp that uses 6X4 (tube rectifier) into 10uF-1K-100uF-1K-100uF-1K-100uF-1K-100uF and the other night i was trying to check ripple on the scope and i can't see any. All caps are 450V. how cheap/expensive are those caps in Ireland?

450v 100uF cap: €4.14 (about $5)
450v 10uF cap: €3.50 (about $4)

See - verry pricey :(

Committed,

That filter you linked to a few posts back is not really a filter at all. You only use a gizmo like that if you are using toriodial power trannies and you have a problem with AC line balance... it works great for that but let all sorts of noise fly right through.

Now there is also another company that has that same filter and others... it is called Farnell and they are your side of the pond.

There should be some UK buds who can tell where to buy parts (the real places). This forum is pretty picky about "line" oriented stuff and on the primary side of you rig you should probably buy something "listed" and built by pros. You can get these gizmos with on/off switches, IEC inlets, and euro fuses... the whole nine yards (for a fellow Celt). The fuse might save your project too... more than once... really.

:D ;)

poobah said:
Committed,

That filter you linked to a few posts back is not really a filter at all. You only use a gizmo like that if you are using toriodial power trannies and you have a problem with AC line balance... it works great for that but let all sorts of noise fly right through.

Now there is also another company that has that same filter and others... it is called Farnell and they are your side of the pond.

There should be some UK buds who can tell where to buy parts (the real places). This forum is pretty picky about "line" oriented stuff and on the primary side of you rig you should probably buy something "listed" and built by pros. You can get these gizmos with on/off switches, IEC inlets, and euro fuses... the whole nine yards (for a fellow Celt). The fuse might save your project too... more than once... really.

:D ;)

Ok - I've scratched that Idea. I'll go with the inline filter supplied by SY for now!

How do you mean "picky about "line" oriented stuff"?

Ah yes - a fuse would definately be a good idea!

arnoldc said:
hi mark, there is Electrocomponents Plc in Ireland, Electrocomponents own RS Components and Allied Electronics among others. i'm not sure if that's where you get your price for the caps.

they could be an option for other parts.

edit:

yikes! Radionics = RS Components :xeye:

yup - welcome to Ireland, where everything costs the earth! :mad:

Ebay seems to be my cheapest option for everything, or a few UK shops, as alot of US places wont post to Ireland! :bawling:

I really dont know where to go with the power supply! Any of you guys fancy making a quick buck?? :p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panel-Mount-M...oryZ7285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Hows this for a line filter? OT - Would i also see an improvement if I added one of them to my CDP?

I think :king:SY is trying to provide you with a good example... that one looks to be about right. These come in many styles & features.

Look around on Farnell's site... there you can find Manufacturers names and their part numbers... from there you can shop around for a "deal"

Oh sorry,

I have to read the rules again... but it is about common sense. The "line" stuff means circuitry directly connected or directly involving the POWER LINE and your home wiring. This is where local laws and standards are concerned... what works in one place may not work right in another... it is a professional issue best left to local professionals.

Nobody here wants a DIY'er to burn his house down... because your computer will likey go with... and we won't have you to thrash on anymore.

:D :D :D :D :D ;)

hi,

an inline filter should be the least of your concern imho!:D

however, if you live close to my house i can let you have one of these:
emifilter9.jpg

if you know someone who fixes computer monitors, then you can get them from busted monitors.:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you are OK with some isolation transformer (toroid or not) ,for your country that is 230/230 V,with say 50VA ?after rectification you'll have enough volts to burn in resistors or reg,whatever you choose and when you choose

after that,you need one decent 20-50VA xformer for heating with ,say,8 to 10 Volts

if you have some enameled wire,you can wound few turns on that isolation xformer and have one for the job ;)

ask for more info about that

first-go to http://www.duncanamps.com and download PSU designer-valuable tool for greenhorns :clown:

Tony said:
hi,

an inline filter should be the least of your concern imho!:D

however, if you live close to my house i can let you have one of these:
emifilter9.jpg

if you know someone who fixes computer monitors, then you can get them from busted monitors.:D
Thanks for the generous offer but I live miles away :dead:
All taken care of today though - a friend is sending me an excellent line filter and I'm buying a few of those IEC sockets too :)

choky said:
you are OK with some isolation transformer (toroid or not) ,for your country that is 230/230 V,with say 50VA ?after rectification you'll have enough volts to burn in resistors or reg,whatever you choose and when you choose

after that,you need one decent 20-50VA xformer for heating with ,say,8 to 10 Volts

if you have some enameled wire,you can wound few turns on that isolation xformer and have one for the job ;)

ask for more info about that

first-go to http://www.duncanamps.com and download PSU designer-valuable tool for greenhorns :clown:

Thanks for the link - I downloaded that program!
There are many tyroidal transformers available from Radionics.

Would either of these be suitable transformers?
C223775-01.jpg

Nuvotem 91948-P2S2
"50VA 80mm
50VA
Primary 0-230Vac
Secondary 25VA per winding
2x0-12V, 2·08A
14% reg

http://www.nuvotem.com/en/products/std_open230v.shtml
http://www.nuvotem.com/en/products/pdf/0050P1_0209.pdf
17.26 euro each...

C804868-01.jpg

WALSALL WT1227
50VA 80mm
50VA
Primary 0-230Vac
Secondary 25VA per winding
2x0-12V, 2·08A
10% reg
11.15 euro each...
There are others available if they arent suitable...
Any point in going for the more expensive ones?

Hey commited,

The "square" ones are just fine... in fact they are free of a few quirky problems the toroidials have.

What many would recommend is that you get a transformer with a shield between the primary and secondary... this can be effective against "common-mode" noise creeping. This is not essential if you opt for one of the little filter thingies we were going on about.

Now, these don't really have the voltages you want for tubes though... look for "plate or tube transformers".

:D

poobah said:
Hey commited,

The "square" ones are just fine... in fact they are free of a few quirky problems the toroidials have.

What many would recommend is that you get a transformer with a shield between the primary and secondary... this can be effective against "common-mode" noise creeping. This is not essential if you opt for one of the little filter thingies we were going on about.

Now, these don't really have the voltages you want for tubes though... look for "plate or tube transformers".

:D
Is 12V not good enough for the tubes then?

The line filter I am receiving is similar to the one on the left here I think:
emifilter9.jpg

The above two are the only 2 types of transformer available in Ireland :(

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Commited said:

seems that you need little reading of electronic basics?

'xcuse me if I'm wrong,but how on earth you can look at xformer with 25VAC ,searching for one with at least 230VAC secondary,especially when I wrote you in black and white what you exactly need?
I searched already all xformers on link you sent,but I didn't find anything (except for heating supply) adequate....
don't take me wrong- I wrote what I wrote,and your and nobody else's choice is what you'll do; I'm just concerned about your knowledge.
not shouting : YOU MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT WHEN WORKING WITH LETHAL VOLTAGES

I don't want to be rude in any moment but-your first concern must be knowledge about AC line lethality and precautions in working with high voltages,not sum of cash you need for something

again-excuse me if I'm wrong

?

choky said:

seems that you need little reading of electronic basics?

'xcuse me if I'm wrong,but how on earth you can look at xformer with 25VAC ,searching for one with at least 230VAC secondary,especially when I wrote you in black and white what you exactly need?
I searched already all xformers on link you sent,but I didn't find anything (except for heating supply) adequate....
don't take me wrong- I wrote what I wrote,and your and nobody else's choice is what you'll do; I'm just concerned about your knowledge.
not shouting : YOU MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT WHEN WORKING WITH LETHAL VOLTAGES

I don't want to be rude in any moment but-your first concern must be knowledge about AC line lethality and precautions in working with high voltages,not sum of cash you need for something

again-excuse me if I'm wrong

?

I have voiced my concerns about my lack of knowledge of power supplies. I have a serious lack of availablilty for stuff in Ireland.

It looks like I should leave this design so. I really wanted to build a valve pre-amp, but I obviously dont know enough.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.