Valve Itch phono

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Arrh !

You make 26 as well Felipe ! yes

I looked at this also...
...good with attenuator between Itch & 26 maybe.

Felipe...You told me a year ago...but I forget...
...You are using 'balanced amps'...yes ? yes
..I think you built yourself Nelson something ( F? ).no, I use Erno Borbely pre amp & power amp both full balanced

What line-stage do you use/build ?
This is what you listen to 'Itch' with now...before amps/s ? Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Si.

Hope that makes sense.

( nice grommets !!! ) thanks to massimo:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I need to change for other more thick?

Not the matter, only mA here, I was wondering about its insulation rating and long time safety. Fuse the live of mains going to transformers. Fuse for as much total VA/230V with 6x32mm glass or 5x20mm ceramic fuse 250V for good interruption not arcing. Fuse +line somewhere along the way to SSHV2 with 6x32mm 380V 200mA ceramic fuse also. If you are to keep and use take care of it. Is the sink well insulated to the IRF840? Much chassis metal near, must be safe too.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not the matter, only mA here, I was wondering about its insulation rating and long time safety. Fuse the live of mains going to transformers. Fuse for as much total VA/230V with 6x32mm glass or 5x20mm ceramic fuse 250V for good interruption not arcing. Fuse +line somewhere along the way to SSHV2 with 6x32mm 380V 200mA ceramic fuse also. If you are to keep and use take care of it. Is the sink well insulated to the IRF840? Much chassis metal near, must be safe too.

I have only 5x20mm, no ceramic only glass, I have 200mA 250V fast and 250mA 250V slow. Wich fuse before the mains transformers?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Had the first model blue SCR branded only, Teflons without tin, few years back. They were very fast and very clean, maybe not that forgiving also. How are the Teflon Foil SCR for Obbligato in the Itch VS the MKP you changed?

Yours blue SCR are teflon film metallized, foil have more body also are very fast, very clean & open. I prefer not forgiving caps. Surely is the easy tweak with better result to do in the Itch.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Told you add all your transformers VA then divide by 230V, that is ballpark proper. Only fast for mains in a preamp.

I don't know VA rating of B+ transformer, surely is aprox. 240V x 0.020A = 4.8A because Audionote uses it for DAC I/V output with 2 tubes 6922, each heater 12V 5A = 36VA

4.8A + 36VA + 36VA = 76.8VA : 230V = 333mA it's ok 400mA 250V or better 500mA?

Between PSU & SSHV2 6x32mm 380V 200mA ceramic?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
400mA should do. If it ever blows in start up inrush only then go 500mA.

Yes, 200mA ceramic, so if something happens in the HV line or under the plate in the phono B+ it will protect from fire. But now you say your HV transformer is too small. So use 100mA which is the SSHV2 ~max CCS.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm not really sure how many mA have the B+ tx, I said 20mA because is the max current that I can adjust with SSHV2, I think the right way?

About floor metal chassis I use bitumen self adhesive to isolate the heatsink of the SSHV2 of the chassis, I can do the same for the rest of floor metal chassis.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a very small transformer and its a fuse itself in this build it seems.:eek: But you will eventually use a bigger one as you wrote you plan to, so use 100mA which is the SSHV2 about max safe draw. Use 30mA CCS then. The transformer maybe small at 300V+ for mA but it can give more than 20mA if the voltage shorts or goes much lower. Put the HV fuse in the PSU box too, so it guards the line for umbilical connector mishaps also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TT gnd it's only connected to chassis, the gnd coming from separate PSU goes to the ground loop breaker so you have a clean ground star without any ground loop where to connect all grounds, see attached pic.

I see two white cables and then a black. Black is just the PSU chassis link to Itch box chassis link, and PSU chassis is properly mains grounded? Then there is 10 Ohm difference to chassis from SSHV2 0 point to chassis if measuring? Or just 10 Ohm between the 2 chassis, and SSHV2 sees chassis star at output as well as sending F0, S0, to phono?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have connected wrong in the Itch, must have to be connected like the pic: so black is PSU chassis link to ground breaker loop and the ground breaker loop connected to chassis Itch and connected to signal ground Itch including F0 & S0. Yes PSU chassis is mains grounded.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will post a pic with the new gnd change

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have connected wrong in the Itch, must have to be connected like the pic: so black is PSU chassis link to ground breaker loop and the ground breaker loop connected to chassis Itch and connected to signal ground Itch including F0 & S0. Yes PSU chassis is mains grounded.

I will post a pic with the new gnd change

I do not understand perfectly..... Do you connect signal ground including F0 and S0 to itch chassi that is connected to mains earth ?

If so, the ground loop breaker is bypassed :confused:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Attached pics last grounding work

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00010.jpg