Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• WP_20170315_001[1].jpg
    WP_20170315_001[1].jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 186
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Unlikely but test it. I havent followed all posts here but I think I saw (I might be wrong) fairly long twisted pairs from regs which you may try shorten or capping.

Higher frequency noice is likely oscillation between components (caps, inductors, tubes, wires etc). Salas wondered about woofer movements which is indications of low frequency motorboating oscillations, but you say you hear higher freq artifacts. Oscillations can follow the whole scale from near DC to GHz.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I read somewhere for preamp 3mV or ripple is OK not using any kind of regulator.

I would say that is a question of which ripple we are talking about. If it was in the audible frequency spectra 20-20000 Hz it would be to much for this application. This is not that kind of ripple that is regulated in a AC to DC filter, this is low frequency rail voltage variation usualy caused by tempdrift in active regulations or in passive filters often by variations in the grid.

That itself would not be causing what you hear when you say high frequency disturbances. It could of course be a secondary symptom of it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For a solution we must know the problem first. Where is ripple of any frequency on the scope scan? Is there any? AC coupled and moving the flat trace up and down slowly can't be DC because there is a capacitor on the scope's input. Can it be riding on 50HZ hum? No, its not periodic and its not fast enough. Being the same all over the time scale can it be the scope's vertical sync is bit unstable on noise or an old part inside it playing up? Maybe. Tells us nothing secure as an onscreen movement when no woofer movement follows it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks guys, attached pics of grounding.

Left pic SLB connected to chassis

Left centered pic mains PSU cap ground connect to SLB

Right centered pic signal ground from Itch to SLB

Right pic mains earth coming from PSU chassis connected to Itch chassis

Attachments

• Itch ground signal coming from mains PSU cap and signal gound to SLB.jpg
    Itch ground signal coming from mains PSU cap and signal gound to SLB.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Itch ground signal coming from mains PSU cap.jpg
    Itch ground signal coming from mains PSU cap.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Itch ground signal.jpg
    Itch ground signal.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Itch mains earth coming from PSU mains earth chassis.jpg
    Itch mains earth coming from PSU mains earth chassis.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 182
Joined 2011
Paid Member
AC coupled and moving the flat trace up and down slowly can't be DC because there is a capacitor on the scope's input.

It can happen to me sometimes on older scopes on AC setting that the scope kind of cant decide if its an AC or DC signal. I guess its when the variations are in the low frequency borderland for the cap to charge and discharge and the trace starts moving up and down.