• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

UX-226 Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow,

Thanks so much for you guys loaded me with many good advices. I certainly would go with my Lundhal 1660 10mA transformer, but which configuration would fit the best ???
I also have a pair 1660 5mA. Which one I should use for my 26 ???
Thanks

Albert

Agree - use the 5mA for the preamp. Why don't you use the LL1660/10ma for the driver in a SET? I use an all-DHT SET with 26 direct coupled into 31, transformer coupled into 300b. That's one way to build a really excellent sounding amp. Have you tried 31 or 46 or 10y into the LL1660/10mA? You should!! Would equally make a good preamp choice and with a 10Y would be on the same level as a 26 preamp.

Andy

Thanks Rod & Andy,

I'll go with the 5mA and keep the 10mA for another purpose.
I thought I can start doing the chassis layout. I'll make 2 chassis, one for the main power and the other for 26. I got some idea from other thread that I have to keep all irons in the 1st chassis, then goes with a long a cable / or a pair( about 1 meter ) to the second chassis. The 1660 5mA will be on the second chassis. The B+ after the last 47ufpp from the 1st, do I have to add on another smaller one on the second chassis/ or I have to split the last 47uf into 2 and have them separated into 2 chassis.
Rod, your heater supply board, do I put them on the 1st chassis so to keep the ac out from the 2nd one/ or I have to run ac to the 2nd chassis ??
I'd take Thomas's idea by starting with pure passive B+ supply CLCLC before I add anything on the power line. It'll be 8uf oil - 30H - 47uf pp then separate into left and right - 10H - 47uf pp. Will this set up work ??

Albert

The general idea is you only have DC in the signal chassis. So for the filaments you have the transformer, Schottky diodes, main caps and chokes if you use them, in the power supply chassis. So you only run DC into the signal chassis. Rod's boards have an input cap on them which should be adequate - ask him if he agrees with that!

I have one box for the filament supply and one box for HT. Just useful because I can try out different combinations. Also the filament supply is rather big since it has two large chokes in it and the transformer is larger than normal because I have filament bias.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.