Utsource fake??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a pair of TDA1541A chips from UTSource. Before buying I asked them to send me a photo of the chips they have in stock. They sent me a photo of a genuine TDA1541A.
When I received the package, there were 2 wrong type fakes in it. First they were R1 chips, not standard, which were listed. Second from the printed markings it was obvious from a mile away that the chips are fake - wrong font, wrong color of text, 2 circles on the face of the chip should be glossy black, but were grey and the pins were all shiny because they were not from the same material as original.
I wrote them that this is not what I ordered and that I want a full refund. They told me that they sell excellent quality and I should try the chips. I tried the chips and ofcourse they didn't work, just got hot and that was it. I wrote them back and they offered 50% refund. I said I want a full refund and then they refunded in full.
I was lucky because I requested photos of the actual items, so I had proof that they sent me something else.
I guess I won't buy from them anymore.
Sorry for the long story, but maybe it will help someone get a refund.

I personally wouldn't buy any ICs or transistors from them.

yes , last week i purchased a module 3T011292-2 ,they said they have ,and quoted me very cheap ,and i am also ask another supplier ,it's jotrin , the price of jotrin is higher than utsource , so i purchased it by utsource ,when i received it ,and testing ,i found that it can't work ,i email to them and ask for provide replacement ,but no any feedback , finally i purchased it form jotrin ,

it looks not good , but their salesman tell me this part is keep not well ,but it can work and promise me 90 days warranty , when i get this module and test ,it's amazing ,although it looks old ,but it can work well ,thanks jotrin and thanks Ms jane

UTSource is not good. Don't purchase from them or you will be Sorry!!

I purchased a STK-0029 from their website. Their datasheet says it will work for a Pioneer SX-580.
I purchased 6 of them for $ 4.50. None of them worked. UTSource asked if I would be happy for a 50% refund. Why would I? Their Data sheet specifically says it will work for SX-580 even though the ones they sent were STK0029 (without the dashes). They claimed it would work and was the same. I also had to wait 3 weeks for the part since China based. I am trying to dispute the transaction with my bank since they did not help me. I will never purchase from them again. I also purchased some transistors from them in the past very cheap quality. thin legs that broke on the T-220 transistor. I have learned my lesson. By the way I purchased the same power packs on ebay and they worked fine. Terrible Fraudulent company with awfull customer service. Stay away find another vendor!!!!

Last edited:
I have bought from them a few times and so far the parts I received looked original and work ok. But I am getting scared with more stories of fakes shipped by them.
Can someone suggest a dealer out of Japan that is willing to ship worldwide ?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The issue for the OP is long obsolete parts - unobtanium. That's why you can't buy from Digikey, Mouser, Newark or any regular distributor of new, traceable parts in the first place. So what does one do to restore a dead piece of history? You could probably buy a genuine part, pulls or a good copy from a few sources (at quite high prices) or try your luck with the many sellers of fakes, copies and bad copies sourced in Asia/China.

If you are the kind of guy who takes high risks because of low prices, easy buying and simple sales tricks like of pics of different parts, you will get burned. Don't ask for it by pinning your hopes on generic pics snipped from the web. It's sometimes a surprise to sellers too, that their parts are not only fakes but don't work at all. Many have no clue what the original looks or performs like so why should they care - it's just another commodity.

Should you be just another sucker in that unregulated marketplace?

I bought some 2sc2922 from kessler-electronic at ebay, seems like a legit german seller. Works fine, pushing 1,5A per transistor in jlh 2005 test channel, sound is excellent:
kessler-electronic on eBay
Though, I ordered some super cheap 2n3055s and they were fakes (from some asian ebay seller), super hot where originals were mildly warm :). I pulled them out and now using old original 2n3055s.
1pcs MJ15003G ON TO-3
Right now preparing to test some cheap ON 15003Gs, I cant scratch or erase marking on them, looks good for now, but I'll wait for burning test in jlh 2005 test bench.
Never bought items from UT Source, so cant comment on them.
Hope my positive experience with kessler can help to someone.

Attachments

• 20170115_143843.jpg
    20170115_143843.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 20170118_183953.jpg
    20170118_183953.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 20170119_001125.jpg
    20170119_001125.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
I bought some 2sc2922 from kessler-electronic at ebay, seems like a legit german seller. Works fine, pushing 1,5A per transistor in jlh 2005 test channel, sound is excellent:
kessler-electronic on eBay

Those 2SC2922 in your first picture is produced by Chinese company ICS.
Inchange Semiconductor Company(ISC)
Whether they are good or not is not decided only by power handling, if those ICS generics have less linear Hfe, Ft Cr etc you may or may not notice much difference

On Kessler Electronics eBay store I didn't find the one manufactured by ICS, but two others.
2SC2922 MOSPEC
and
2SC2922 SanKen

Attachments

• 2SC2922_MOSPEC_sold_by_Kessler-Electronics-om-eBay.jpg
    2SC2922_MOSPEC_sold_by_Kessler-Electronics-om-eBay.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 2SC2922_SanKen_sold_by_Kessler-Electronics-om-eBay.jpg
    2SC2922_SanKen_sold_by_Kessler-Electronics-om-eBay.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 293
I'm aware of that, I ordered mospec version and got isc instead. Anyway, my experience is positive, no overheating, no smoke and they do sound excelent - better than my old original EI Nis 2n3055s. I guess they are not remarked fakes as cheap 2n3055s I got last time. And they pretty cheap too.

Hi, thimios
What is UTCXXX?
Just to inform you guys that my ON 15003Gs died instantly, luckily nothing else died so I replaced them with 2sc2922 and JLH 2005 is working fine :).
I cracked open one of them and it seems that core is super small, so I guess fake 100%.

Attachments

• 20170119_211450.jpg
    20170119_211450.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20170119_211457.jpg
    20170119_211457.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 144
Joined 2012
Staff member
Paid Member
UTsource has contacted diyAudio with regard to this thread.

The company admits they provide only a visual inspection of goods and as such are simply a re-supplier, it being up to the original suppliers to ensure the parts are as advertised.

However, UTsource does state they have a responsibility to the customer to investigate incorrect or parts not as advertised.

UTsource also advises all customers to check and confirm they have read their terms of sale before placing payment.

-----------------------------
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.