USSA-5 Build with Review

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My USSA-5 build. Many thanks to Fab, Thimios, Prasi and Project16.
I can confirm, the amp has a very special sound character, maybe the best amp that you ever heard.

Thanks for your feedback :)
Nice build that you have.
You can eventually try the ECW-FD2 cap type to replace your Wima input cap. The ECW-FD2 is low cost and sounds good but you can also try even better caps as others have.

Fab

Last edited:
Thanks Prasi.
It was a little tricky to install the connections between your boards and USSA-5 boards, the space is very tight, but everything came out fine in the end.
Yes, those are project16 DC protection boards using mosfets for the relay. They are very well done. No pops at switching on or off, you do not even realize if
the amplifier is on or off.

Thanks,
I am using a 4U chassis. The heatsinks get pretty warm but i can easily put my hands on them, i will measure the temperature if i figure out where i put my probe.
I am using a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2. What do you think, are they appropriate for USSA-5? What speakers would you use?

Thanks,
I am using a 4U chassis. The heatsinks get pretty warm but i can easily put my hands on them, i will measure the temperature if i figure out where i put my probe.

Thanks for clarifying. From build testimonials, it looks like 4U is more than adequate. If I am not wrong some builders have even done builds with 3U chassis. In fact I have a 3U chassis (albeit 350mm deep) ready for my USSA 5 build, which is coming along slooowly. I am still in the process of putting together the parts. I am looking forward to making more progress in 2019.

I am using a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2. What do you think, are they appropriate for USSA-5? What speakers would you use?

The most important thing is that do you like how the speakers sound with the USSA 5? From a quick Google search, looks like the B&W 685 S2 has many positive reviews. The sensitivity of 87dB is decent - neither too high, nor too low. I am planning to build a DIY speaker design called the Elsinore, which should have a sensitivity around 90 dB.

Wishing you more fun listening, and when you feel like it, share more listening impressions on the forum.

Amps for comparison: Fabs USSA5 and Valerys NS-OPS CFA.
Tracks:The Eagles - Hotel California and Alison Krauss + Union Station - Live (2003)-The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn; on DST64.
Speakers and DAC: B&W 685 and Teac UD 505.

USSA sounds warmer without loosing details, it gives you a rounded more pleasant sound. NS-CFA has absolute clarity but it is a little too cold.
NS-CFA beats USSA in the bass region even if CFA it is not considered a bass champ .USSA is more forgiving on digital source, it sweetens the sound that are blamed for.
Personal i prefer NS-CFA because it gives you the source as it is, if it sounds little colder blame it on the limits of digital, on Teac X-2000R it sounds perfect.
So choose your flavor, a sweet sound or absolute clarity.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good Sunday afternoon, I've just finished my PSU for my USSA-5 build, and completed and measured both channels. So I need just a few resistors in order to correct the drivers current to 20ma. :) And I need a new R27 on one channel, because I fried it while taking off the crocodile clamps in an unproper way. :(
Beside that everything seems to be OK and I have to wait for the resistors. In the meantime the amp will move into its future chassis.

More to come.

Have a great Sunday!

Good Sunday afternoon, I've just finished my PSU for my USSA-5 build, and completed and measured both channels. So I need just a few resistors in order to correct the drivers current to 20ma. :) And I need a new R27 on one channel, because I fried it while taking off the crocodile clamps in an unproper way. :(
Beside that everything seems to be OK and I have to wait for the resistors. In the meantime the amp will move into its future chassis.

More to come.

Have a great Sunday!

Sounds great! Glad to hear you are almost there and we look forward to hearing your review.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Amps for comparison: Fabs USSA5 and Valerys NS-OPS CFA.
Tracks:The Eagles - Hotel California and Alison Krauss + Union Station - Live (2003)-The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn; on DST64.
Speakers and DAC: B&W 685 and Teac UD 505.

USSA sounds warmer without loosing details, it gives you a rounded more pleasant sound. NS-CFA has absolute clarity but it is a little too cold.
NS-CFA beats USSA in the bass region even if CFA it is not considered a bass champ .USSA is more forgiving on digital source, it sweetens the sound that are blamed for.
Personal i prefer NS-CFA because it gives you the source as it is, if it sounds little colder blame it on the limits of digital, on Teac X-2000R it sounds perfect.
So choose your flavor, a sweet sound or absolute clarity.
Hi Filenet
You changed your mind since post 459 ;)
Thanks for your observations. Nobody can’t argue on your own sound preference in your system. I am pretty sure your compared amp must be quite good.
The USSA5 is in general not a very bright signature amp compared to some others but as you say more “sweet” sounding because this is what I prefer. I already had the B&W 685 but the 1st version. These were very good speakers for their price. But I found the mid/highs a little too laidback for my taste. I hope the S2 version of the speaker has improved in that regards. Still I would suggest you wait to dissemble it until you have the chance to listen to other speakers with different sound signature (in case you change your speakers in the future). Have you finished the breakin of the better input cap that I suggested to do?
Thanks again for your comments.
Fab