Using subwoofer with large main speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2(2)

Attachments

• echo threshold_ear-brain-min-integration -time.gif
    echo threshold_ear-brain-min-integration -time.gif
    98.4 KB · Views: 304
An interesting paper, but not very enlightening as regards loudspeakers. They are talking about signals, not transmission systems and the two things are quite different. The times that they quote are indeed "minimums" for detection, but only for the signal duration. One cannot derive from this data anything about the audibilty of a reflection, difraction or group delay, other than it has to be greater than 2 ms to have any effect at all. Such aberations are extremely common in audio and as such this paper doesn't really tell us much of interest.

bjorno said:
http://www.icad.org/websiteV2.0/Conferences/ICAD2002/proceedings/71_Martens.pdf

If the subs are (only) placed at the rear they must be of good quality as rub and buzz localisation artefacts are easily heard segregated when originating from the outside of the mains including within cone of confusion where the limit for frontal phantom spread or image position/stage width ends.

Do you have a reference for you bottom post?

The Matens paper is quite interesting. I was not familiar with it. Thanks for posting it. I am not sure of his methods and how applicable his approach is in an actual situation.

One NEVER wants HF problems in a sub because that will give que to localization.

Good to see your doing well Jeff:cool:

I have a design to use with my BiB's eventually after I've finished moving and re-settle etc.. I wanted something totally sq oriented and no ports at all, if I can't go IB in my new place then this is the plan..

In keeping with the Bigger is Better theme, 4 drivers total with 2 in each cab isobaric loaded ,wired out of phase and the driver in the cab seeing 5ft3 of airspace..
The drivers: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=127&products_id=1768
The Amp: http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=a400

Dave:)

One other idea to help distribute room response is to use "baseboard" subs- long slender subs with multiple drivers spaced along them that sit along the baseboard. Lots of reinforcement, and smoother response than any single sub location (but not quite as good as a smattering of them in more varied locations, I suppose).

Good WAF, and if you really wanna have fun, you can do multiples. Figure a 1 ft^3 cross section and you can have some pretty rockin' subs. You get to work with the lenghtwise modes in quarterwave apps depending on how you implement the concept. If you're doing vented or sealed, you need to make sure you're aware of the lengthwise modal issues and damp them properly.

Lots of great sub ideas! I have been listening to a lot of music lately (home recovering from surgery can have its advantages) and determined using a sub with large speakers is a very good thing indeed! Multiple subs sounds like a great idea but my current listening room is very small, so not a good option for me although a great idea in larger spaces! I love the sims from bjorno and think baseboard subs are a great idea too.

I decided to experiment with my sub by moving it closer to the wall. I never realized it was about 10 inches from the back wall! So i moved it closer and it sounded deeper in tone. Then i realized the woofer is mounted about 10 inches (i am estimating) from the floor and turned it onto its side so its about 3 inches from the floor. Together, those changes made a great improvement! This thread put these ideas into my mind to test out. My thinking cap was on and i suggest anyone else with bass issues can simply try moving their sub around before redesigning one. I want to build something a little bigger with the woofer closer to the floor and the ability to place it closer to the rear wall.

Thanks all for helping me get better sound in my listening room!

Godzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.