using 'steel wool' as box stuffing

For steel wool, in addition to the concern of being attracted to magnets, it also is prone to corrosion, at which point (depending on the fineness of the steel wool and the rate of corrosion) you have somewhere between a little and a lot of fine iron oxide dust, which is also attracted to magnets.

There's bronze wool, and there is (or was) some Pferd product that looked and acted a lot like steel wool but that is totally nonmetallic

This discussion does raise my curiosity about whether something like Scotchbrite pads might have interesting characteristics, maybe as an alternative material for an aperiodic vent.

I believe the non metallic abrasive wool I read about was a Scotch Brite product.

Maybe do a burn test first. Steel wool might be somewhat worse than cotton as far as heat output once ignited.
Fine steel wool can be used to start a fire while camping.

When I used to go camping I would bring a back-up all weather fire starter with me. A tuft of steel wool in a plastic baggie and a 9V battery in a different pocket. Be aware that if the steel wool were to contact the speaker terminals inside a wooden vented enclosure there could be a problem. :yikes::flame:

Now, there is an incentive to not turn the music up loud.

Angel Hair and Unicorn Tail

Angel Hair and Unicorn Tail are both non-metallic dampening materials made of synthetic fibers. Compared to steel wool and copper wool density is smaller and price is higher.

According to Murphy's law anything that can go wrong at generally does go wrong sooner or later, so it may be best to avoid even small possibilities of failure, even if the initial cost seems higher.

Fibers are compressible, and supposedly sufficient amount may be inserted into the speaker cabinet with brute force.

Horse product or is 'Pferd' a company name?
Pferd is a company name that makes various tools and abrasives.

But I just looked at my box of the stuff in the cellar and it was a Klingspor product (that I bought 20+/- years ago) just called "Abrasive wool" and mentions "fibral" and it is definitely nonmagnetic and nonmetallic. Whatever it is it actually works very nicely and lasts a long time (way longer than steel wool or Scotchbrite) for a given handful, but as far as I can tell from trying to look around now, isn't made anymore and maybe hasn't since who knows when. Wish I could get more. It abrades but in the fine grade that I have, also kind of burnishes.

I avoid stainless steel for even finishing any good wood product. Small bits of steel can embed in the wood and subsequently discolor it - it's not an especially common phenomenon but not anything I want to even be a possibility.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Why would steel wool be better than the conventional stuff?

The purpose of damping materials is to covert sound to heat. This is done by friction of the moving air on the fibers of the damping material. This works best with many long fibers. Steel wool is very different.

Better isobaric heat behavior ? Dacron is terrible for this, it keeps the heat but not dissipate it in the air or very slowly. I would try to put these metallic sponge in vented port as well...

Spontex 3 Steelmax metal wire 3 pieces 12 g - VMD parfumerie - drogerie

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I dunno if it's only about breaking the sound wave and divide resonances, but at least vibration into a material partially is transformed into heat by vibration behavior into the solid.

The geometrical layout of the filler is surely 99,9% what matters. But sometimes when very near, many have noticed soundind difference, for instance the wool being far superior to any polyfill materials. Some uses mostly open foam as Harbeth for instance close to 100% of the volume...

I never read for the few I looked for, any consensus on the filling cabinets science. I still have to understanbd the need of it in a woofer cabinet where the wave length is often bigger than the internal volume and filling material. But the enhanced volume due to the resistivity, I still want to understand what happen really...

Try melamine sponges - aka magic eraser scrubber pads. Stuff is super porous and void fraction is tiny.

The way that stuff is made is super interesting. Have you seen it magnified? It's like a latticework of triangular shaped profile. It's actually quite abrasive, which is why its so effective. I wonder what kind of abrasion would happen if it was used in a speaker and against various surfaces. Would there even be much vibration? I'm always nervous because I use one on my stylus occasionally and not sure if it's wearing it faster or not. As long as people remember that and ME is considered an abrasive I would see no issue using it as stuffing tho and reckon it's work quite well actually.