Using digital interconnect as analog interconnect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...Ground current could be directed along the screen if needed or it can be single end connected as screen only. The amplifier sees the voltage difference at the receive end of the Flow and Return pair. I don't think that can be said for a Coax, which must have the screen connected at both ends.

I think DF96 has a point. Shield (screen) does get connected to return path at receiving end in both cases, either twisted or coaxial. In twisted pair case, if the shield is only connected to return conductor at transmitting end, it still indirectly gets connected via return path at receiving end.

I suspect this practice of connecting shield only at one end came from ground loop problems that themselves came from confusion of signal ground (return) and chassis ground.

I suspect this practice of connecting shield only at one end came from ground loop problems that themselves came from confusion of signal ground (return) and chassis ground.

yes indeed , that is a big problem with single ended connections between boxes on different AC circuits, SMPS, class D, and/or digital noise. There is no common mode rejection, so any electrical potential difference in "grounds" can be impinged on a low level signal. ( ie hum or low signal to noise ratio S/N,). In audio and instrumentation, the Pro's go with differential signals, In audio choice goes to XLR plugs and jacks.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I need a new interconnect for my TT.
The best I have used so far was VDH coax but now, short of money, I am planning to build a new set of cables.

After readind about the pros and cons of coax and twisted pair, I am wondering if it is a good idea to twist two coax cables, use the inner wires for signal and return and connect both shields only on the input side.

This way, both signal and return wires will have it's shield and they will be twisted.

Please let me know your opinions.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, what I need is a cable that does not pick up interference.

The VDH I use, can be left connected only to the riaa amp (not connected to the cart) and there is no hum pick up.... other cables just act like antenas and the hum only goes away when I connect the cart closing the loop.

RC
I have made some Audioquest type DBS style 36 and 72 volt interconnects with and without single ended shields, and overall the shielded single ended for phono was the quietest way on my system.
Not much noticable noise or hum either way between pre and power connections with the same cables.

Regards
David

RCruz said:
The VDH I use, can be left connected only to the riaa amp (not connected to the cart) and there is no hum pick up.... other cables just act like antenas and the hum only goes away when I connect the cart closing the loop.
If connecting a cartridge to a cable reduces hum picked up by the cable then your problem is capacitive coupling of hum probably caused by inadequate or missing shielding/screening. Nothing to do with antennas - hum and RF are different problems.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
So what I need is to try to eliminate capacitive coupling of hum using shielded cable..... my build does it very well, already tried it with good results between the TT cart and the riaa amp..... now about it's subjective sound is another story.... it just does not present highs the way the VDH cables do.

Assuming no hum loops, the receiving end sees the difference between signal and return for both cases. The twisted pair is still subject to magnetic fields, and relies on cancellation - the screen is likely to be too thin to stop an audio frequency magnetic field. The twisted pair relies on twisting, the coax relies on cylindrical symmetry. There is a small advantage to the twisted pair if the screen is poor - you can still get cancellation if you have a differential input, even if an external electric field induces a signal. This may mean that a cheap twisted pair is better than a cheap coax.

Is there many quality difference between Amphenol, Canare, Neutrik or BNC's from other manufactures?

What are the criteria for verifying XLR connector’s quality? Do Amphenol and Neutrik meet the criteria?

Suppose two different arrangements for balanced differential connections: 1 - four BNC 75 connectors with four coaxial cables; or, 2 - two twisted pair shielded cables with two XLR connectors.

Are they equivalent? Is the first arrangement acceptable?

"balanced" in your context means, balanced impedance connection.

It's the impedances that must be balanced.
The two wire connection is simply that, the wires connect the balanced impedance output to the balanced impedance input.

On it's route the two wire connection must pick up least interference. This is where Marce's
a twisted pair carrying the two signals in very close electrical proximity
become VERY important.

Suppose two different arrangements for balanced differential connections: 1 - four BNC 75 connectors with four coaxial cables; or, 2 - two twisted pair shielded cables with two XLR connectors.
Are they equivalent? Is the first arrangement acceptable?
You can use two coax's as a balanced interconnect.
From Henry W. Ott

Attachments

• Balanced_co-ax.jpg
    Balanced_co-ax.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 173
Generally the whole point of balanced (or differential) is to have a twisted pair carrying the two signals in very close electrical proximity. The point being to limit the effect of any ground noise/bounce on the signal.

Just a general note:

Except that the physical paring can never be exact. It is impossible. It's the creation of a serious and audible problem, to deal with a problem that almost never occurs in the world of home audio.

So you end up with transient function issues. An Exacerbation, a false emphasis, an inserted and injected grunge in micro transient function.

Which people, or more tellingly, the human hearing mechanism can and generally does mistake for detail information.

Twisted pair balanced signal transfer, in home audio, or anywhere else, for that matter, is totally off the rails. It has no place.

It was the wrong hammer for an incorrectly conceived problem, in the first place.

It's well past time to see it for what it is, and just drop it ...and walk away.

:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.