• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

The firmware download has a Readme.pdf included.:eek: The file contains the instructions, but we don't read those, well real men don't??!! That process worked OK for me.
Reminds me of a label I found on the back cover of a model airplane power pack - "If this unit appears to malfunction or behave unexpectedly, then READ the MANUAL. OK, now do you need to remove the back?:) And, No, I never did remove the back!!

Ok. The steps I detailed above successfully flashed the Amanero into slave mode. Full sync is partially working (confirmed that clock is being supplied to pin #6). I have more troubleshooting to do though. 96K plays slow - like clock select isn't selecting the proper clock, or maybe the divider circuit isn't working properly. Seems 24 & 88 work fine. Anyway, just thinking out loud. I have to park it until I return from a trip next weekend.

It'll be nice to get the bugs out; full sync with the crystek clocks sounded very, very nice.

Ha! figures. Re: reading pin 6, no - not yet. We're in the middle of packing to move and my brief stop at the bench to flash the firmware was greeted by the icy daggers from my lovely wife :) I hope to dive in this evening.

Good Afternoon All.

I am about to purchase the Twisted Pear Buffalo IIISE DAC. Probably playing out of a Mac Mini via USB or an old Windows computer USB.

Are the Amanero USB-I2S and the Buffalo IIISE compatible with very few difficulties? (As is usual, when I peruse a bulletin board such as this, usually most of the posts describe problems rather than joyful outcomes.)

I am happy to wire things up according to instructions, using a bit of logic and common sense along the way, and to flash some chips as required, but I have no skills in diagnosis of digital problems.

Should I expect this all to work more or less on the first attempt?

Regards,
George.

Good Afternoon All.

I am about to purchase the Twisted Pear Buffalo IIISE DAC. Probably playing out of a Mac Mini via USB or an old Windows computer USB.

Are the Amanero USB-I2S and the Buffalo IIISE compatible with very few difficulties? (As is usual, when I peruse a bulletin board such as this, usually most of the posts describe problems rather than joyful outcomes.)

I am happy to wire things up according to instructions, using a bit of logic and common sense along the way, and to flash some chips as required, but I have no skills in diagnosis of digital problems.

Should I expect this all to work more or less on the first attempt?

Regards,
George.

I connected my Amanero straight (4 wires) to the BIII-SE & it worked first time no issues

Hey All - I'm hoping someone can provide some insight. I'm using the Amanero along with Acko's Isolator and clock board, configuring a full sync mode with my DAC. The final missing piece is getting CKSEL from the Amanero into the Acko clock board. Supposedly, I should be able to remap pins 1 & 11 to provide High/Low indicating which of the two clock frequencies should be selected.

How exactly do I remap the firmware such that pin 1 & 11 can drive CKSEL? I've successfully reflashed the board to run in slave mode, I just need to get the clock select working. Can anyone provide any specific insight? All help is appreciated.

Hey Daniel. This configuration is with the 9018 (BuffaloSE), Amanero, S02 Isolator and clock board. I have it configured with the clock board providing RCLK to the isolator, RCLK to the Buffalo and RCLK to the Amanero (slave2224 flashed). The clock board is reference, but it relies on CKSEL from Amanero to switch in the correct oscillator.

The 'Full Sync' setup (final graphic in Acko's App Notes pdf) resembles my configuration.

Apologies if this is too much info or too obvious; just woke - need more coffee :)

Are you using 22/24 XOs on the clock board? ATM the Combo384 doesn't support faster clocks though Domenco is working on adding 45/49 and 90/98 and could release a new firm soon.
There is nothing to remap in firm AFAIK. It is easy to check if the Amanero XO selection pins are working with a multimeter. Play a 44.1/88.2k/176.4k file and measure pin1 and 11 one of them should have 3.3V and the other 0V. Then play a 48k/96k/192k and measure again to see if you get the opposite result.

Thanks for chiming in Jackal29a. I'm using CCHD 45.*/49.* oscillators, but the 2/div U.FL on the clock board, so the Amanero sees the correct frequencies. I've measured pin 1 & 11; both are behaving as original intended - meaning that pin 1 is always high when a cable is connected, and pin 11 toggles to mute. Seems that the CPLD slave2224 didn't do any remapping of these pins. Apart from CKSEL indication, the slave remapping is working; the clock board is supplying the clock to Amanero. It's just not selecting the 24.* clock.

New update tool and firmware

Domenico has just released the latest 1.15 version of the update tool and also firmware 1.079.
Download from here: http://amanero.com/oemtool115.zip
In order to enable new features in the "Configuration bits" tab it is necessary to fully flash the Combo384 with the new 1.079 (first CPLD and then CPU).

New features:

1) Prescaler (aka divider): /1, /2 & /4
2) Limit Word Length: 32, 24 & 16
3) Stream Format: I2S, Left Justified & Right Justified (the latter is not working ATM)
4) Independent Slave Mode XO selectors (Pin1 & Pin11)
5) Enable F0, F1, F2 & F3 functions (I still don't know what pins are used) reports current sample rate according to the next table:
this is the sample rate table

0 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 32kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 1(F0) -> 44.1kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 1(F1), 0(F0) -> 48kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 1(F1), 1(F0) -> 88.2kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 96kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 0(F1), 1(F0) -> 176.4kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 1(F1), 0(F0) -> 192kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 1(F1), 1(F0) -> 352.8kHz
1 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 384kHz

Pending (hopefully soon):

- Bitclock fs: 32fs & 64fs (currently only 64fs)
- Disable DoP detector

Slave mode reports will be much appreciated. TIA

115_zpse6379951.jpg

Domenico has just released the latest 1.15 version of the update tool and also firmware 1.079.
Download from here: http://amanero.com/oemtool115.zip
In order to enable new features in the "Configuration bits" tab it is necessary to fully flash the Combo384 with the new 1.079 (first CPLD and then CPU).

New features:

1) Prescaler (aka divider): /1, /2 & /4
2) Limit Word Length: 32, 24 & 16
3) Stream Format: I2S, Left Justified & Right Justified (the latter is not working ATM)
4) Independent Slave Mode XO selectors (Pin1 & Pin11)
5) Enable F0, F1, F2 & F3 functions (I still don't know what pins are used) reports current sample rate according to the next table:
this is the sample rate table

0 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 32kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 1(F0) -> 44.1kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 1(F1), 0(F0) -> 48kHz
0 (F3), 0 (F2), 1(F1), 1(F0) -> 88.2kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 96kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 0(F1), 1(F0) -> 176.4kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 1(F1), 0(F0) -> 192kHz
0 (F3), 1 (F2), 1(F1), 1(F0) -> 352.8kHz
1 (F3), 0 (F2), 0(F1), 0(F0) -> 384kHz

6) Bitclock is inmediately stopped when stream is stopped: reduced clicks when switching from DSD to PCM and vice versa.

Pending (hopefully soon):

- Bitclock fs: 32fs & 64fs (currently only 64fs)
- Disable DoP detector

Slave mode reports will be much appreciated. TIA

115_zpse6379951.jpg