• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

I didn't asked whether it's UAC2 compliant or not, I simply asked if it can stream stereo 32/384Khz through Amanero.
According to tests (link) USB can do 30MB/sec and ethernet ~50Mbps. The later is slow and will probably not live up to expectations but that's the question to be answered. I might get a Pi from a colleague next week and can answer this.

I know you didnt, but to play 384kHz, which is what you asked (not 192), it would need to be UAC2 compliant, or have custom pi drivers written for it. That makes the 2 questions essentially the same.

you then mentioned that apparently, according to that link, that it was UAC2 compliant. I simply stated that just because it can play some samplerates up to 2 channel 192kHz on some UAC2 devices, with certain linux build/s, does not make it UAC2 compliant. UAC2 compliance for a USB host, would mean that it can handle the UAC2 standard, which calls for multichannel and up to 384kHz.

IO

USB bus

• All IO uses the same bus so the combination of all IO can not exceed the the bus speed of an as yet hypothetical 60MB/s
  • A test with a fast USB-Stick showed that Raspberry Pi can achieve about 30 MB/s:

the USB and ethernet (perhaps HDMI too?) share the same IO bus, meaning that traffic on other USB devices like wifi dongles, the ethernet port etc will interfere with the USB and is at the root of many of the problems. Recently they did update the firmware for the USB driver with some fixes for handling/scheduling audio data, which has apparently improved matters, but it wont get around the hardware limitations.

that being said, its so cheap to try, so I agree why not!

for my needs its not enough though and for it still at this stage to be so buggy/unstable for audio, when the beaglebone black is so close in price, with so much more performance, makes it a no-brainer for me.

Reading your ramblings are not easy :D

A cursory reading of the posts I made here, or the one I replied to, outline it in a straight forward manner. Only skimming with blinkered intent to argue a specific point (or deep stupidity)... causes such significant errors in comprehension.

Damn!, by your posts I thought you must be infallible/hyper-intelligent/elite/rich/exclusive and funny?

what a disappointment :(

...for my needs its not enough though and for it still at this stage to be so buggy/unstable for audio, when the beaglebone black is so close in price, with so much more performance, makes it a no-brainer for me.
That's true. Actually there is also the Wandboard (OK, it's double price of beaglebone) but a whole Squeesebox like player _and_ server is already up-n-running on it: Community Squeeze Operating System
...and it works with Amanero Combo384... ( to have smtg related to this thread :) )

hehe, yes it will be great to have Amanero working on these devices, it will make such a nice small unit, add a compact DAC like the AKD16P and you have a cool little media center. it would be better if the full range of PCM as well as DSD is doable.

the wandaboard hardware looks good, but the community is small, the options for distros limited. My programming experience/knowledge is less than limited, so while I can deal with the smaller, but growing community on beaglebone vs pi, I think the wandaboard would make for too much pain to bend the hardware to my needs.

the quad core version would probably have the grunt to handle a basic 3 way crossover + Jack + convolver, I fear the amount of time spent setting up the device tree as well as leverage the GPU for processing is beyond me. with beaglebone at least there is a larger community, lower price, more explicit build files and support from the larger dev team/ community

for straight up streaming though, I feel the extra power of wanda isnt justified, so added cost and complexity for no payoff. the dedicated onboard BT and wifi (plus SATA on the QUAD) is good though.

Last edited:
read the manual ...
basically if you cant figure that info out, i'm not sure how much luck you'll have improving performance. some systems will call for USB ground to still be connected, despite using external power.

check glt's hifiduino pages on amanero, should have all the info you need, but really, read the manual/schematic before doing anything. probably nobody answered because its already covered clearly here and elsewhere

Last edited:
@Domenico.

A suggestion:

Reading the two above posts and some of the earlier posts makes me wonder if it would make sense to edit the first post of the thread to include some of the updated & repeatedly "most asked for" information in the thread? Like how to update firmwares etc., join in on a group buy, power supply requirements etc. ...

Might even save you time in the long run ;-)

Greetings,

Jesper

Any chance this might happen?

he has, its just that people are pretty lacking in their ability to look for it and repeatedly ask the same questions even though they are in the most obvious place already and repeatedly thereafter ie. on the amanero website and in here.

having it on the first page, if my experience tells me anything, will not stop people not looking past the last page and many will not even read whats on the last page. its bizarre how people operate.

and you have unreasonable expectations ...

its related to how low as he has set the price and as low as the effort you expect someone to undertake in such a transaction. myself, I have not had any problem, there is schematics, there is firmware that is continuously updated and for 39EU we are getting some of the most OTT firmware support that ive seen.

we are lucky here, a commercial provider has offered a board to consumers at OEM prices; OEMs are expected to have some level of self sufficiency; that is why they are able to get better prices (as well as in normal circumstances eventually buying a bunch of product). yes we as a group initially helped get this off the ground, but that time is long past and we were rewarded by getting the board very cheap.

yet someone always wants more for nothing here on this forum it seems :rolleyes:

Last edited: