• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Good news for all Windows users: ASIO drivers for the Combo384 are finally available.
This drivers feature DSD over ASIO (aka "Direct DSD", aka "Native DSD") and support for up to DSD512. To enable this it is necessary to use the latest 1.068 firmware (also fixes some resampling bug with ALSA under Linux). Both Foobar and JRiver support DSD over ASIO, maybe other players do too.

Most cards need to have both CPLD and CPU flashed in order to access these ASIO features, only the latest have the required firmware. The easiest way to know whether your card neds flashing is to simply test the features, if they don't work a flash is needed.

The ASIO drivers are installed on top of current WDM ones (1.056), they complement each other, so don't uninstall anything. Once installed all Windows output modes will be available: DirectSound, WASAPI (push and Event modes) plus ASIO.

The drivers are here (32 and 64bit):

Index of /drivers/asio

The firmware flashing tool plus its, very detailed, instructions (pdf and a jpg)can be found here:
Index of /asiohwd

Note: The flashing process starts by erasing the card as per the JPG instructions.

Note2: For those powering the Combo with an external PS, when the PDF says disconnect/reconnect from USB port read power off/on the PS instead. The idea is to reset the card and force it to upload the new code.

Note3: read carefuly the instructions and make sure they are well understood before starting to avoid problems.

Dear Jackal29a,

By following your smart instructions, I could play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 sources with both HQPlayer and JRiver Media Center without any problems. I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to you as well as to Domenico. Tomorrow I will connect the board to ElectrArt's "DSD Principle board" which is compatible with all the DSD sampling rates.

Best regards,
Bunpei

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

I really hope one of you can help with this as the hairs on my head are getting even greyer than they already are - & way before time - trying to solve this ... :)

I have made a DAC based on the DSD1794A and am now connecting it to the combo384 but I get no sound whatsoever. I've connected the combo384 as indicated in this post (#363):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-37.html#post3173603

and have also tried to connect pin 7 of the combo384 (dsdoe) to ground as suggested in this post (#377):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-38.html#post3174542

Since I use the DSD1794 instead of the PCM1794 - and haven't yet tried to program the DSD1794's registers - I have connected pins 10-13 to GND, and pin 14 (reset_low) to VDD. Pins 1-3 for DSD connections are left floating (I've attached a copy of the DSD1794 pin connections).

All supply voltages on the DAC measure as they should and the DAC's current outputs are loaded with a 470 ohm resistor to ground. This gives ~2.6 VDC on each of the Iout+/Iout- outputs.

However, when I play back a 192 kHz/24 bit sample via foobar (amanero card selected) there's no sound whatsoever as measured by my scope. But there are signals that "look digital" on the mclk, fsclk, bclk and data pins of the amanero board. The fsclk, bclk and data levels jump from ~0 volts to about 3.3 volts whereas the mclk levels are between 0.8 volts and 2.6 volts. Yet, my scope (Rigol DS1042C) indicates the frequency to be around 22.7 MHz which is for a 512*fs at 44.1 kHz ??? I wonder how this could be ... maybe an oscilloscope artifact? The amanero driver I use is version 1.0.5.

When I stop the foobar playback the "DATA" pin level signals are now zero volts which I assume they should be.

Also, I've been thinking that maybe the DSD1794's registers are not set to accept PCM files in the I2S format by default but as far as I can see it should be so (I've attached a copy of the default settings - just in case one of you can "see through" this).

I honestly don't know what is amiss here so would really appreciate help from other insightful eyes & minds :usd:

Greetings,

Jesper

A P.S.: to Bunpei: Sounds really interesting - hope you will share your impressions of listening to particularly the DSD principle board and DSD512 ;-)

Attachments

• dsd1794_pin.jpg
    dsd1794_pin.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 629
  • dsd1794_default_settings.jpg
    dsd1794_default_settings.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 626
Last edited: