• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

hi
i use it with above version of the linux and have no problem detecting it and playing . very nice sound also no drop out even with 24/192 files

kp93300

I appreciate your confirmation....many thanks.
I have just realised that my Joggler is powering the Amanero board through a USB 1.1 Hub and you need a USB2 connection for UAC2 devices right? Will try and get a USB2.0 Hub tomorrow and report. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as simple that as there are reports of the Amanero working just fine with the Squeezebox Touch with EDO which is effectively what the Joggler is configured as.

speaking of sound quality in different rooms with different systems with different ears connected to a different brain listening to different music.... its pretty meaningless IMO. maybe one reason you dont see much of it.

Good point

But as long as any comments on SQ are made on the IMHO, to my ears, in my system basis I really don't see much harm in such things.:cool:
Just a personal opinion:hohoho:

Having a loose general consensus (if there is such a thing) can often be helpful.

For example

After reading your thoughts on proper termination of I2S cables I tried U FL coax TBH I found it hard to believe that such things would make much difference to the sound.

I replaced my single wire I2S lines and single ground with U fl coax (each line with its own ground return) which did change the sound for the better IMHO, to my ears, in my system.

A subtle but worthwhile change.

thanks

Last edited:
sure you can say it improved, no problem, but it doesnt mean it will be better for everyone and certainly if you start saying exactly how it sounded, well sound just doesnt translate that well to words. changing the main ingredient in something may taste like crap to someone who liked that ingredient, adding some more chili to something thats already loaded with pepper might be great for someone who likes spices, it may render it inedible to someone who doesnt.

the vast majority of impressions I read are utterly meaningless, especially when people start trying to use audiophile lingo instead of their native language

many dont even mention what gear they are using, or what was there before.

also in a properly designed DAC, if changing from one bit perfect i2s interface to another brand bitperfect i2s interface alters the sound in a profound way, you need a better dac design. we all are here for the sound, yes even me, but this particular style component is more about how well it works, how reliable the drivers are, whether it has the features you are after etc. in a well designed system it should make little difference to the sound, let alone one that can be meaningfully described.

Last edited:
....... but this particular style component is more about how well it works, how reliable the drivers are, whether it has the features you are after etc. .......

Thanks for the clarification. Every thread justifiably has its own flavor, emphasis and tone, so I'll look elsewhere for useful subjective information.

Not a problem :)

Last edited:
''also in a properly designed DAC, if changing from one bit perfect i2s interface to another brand bitperfect i2s interface alters the sound in a profound way, you need a better dac design''

or a better PSU;)

are the 2 separate?

@ Bob: useful subjective information...? interesting choice of words =)

btw I wasnt telling people to stop it, just explaining why there might be a lack of it

Last edited:
I'm going to stop after this comment because I don't want to pull us off topic further, and to respect the technical focus as proposed. IMHO, there is nothing wrong in attempting to limit the types of responses/posts collected in any particular thread. I, like most members are fine with following the rules as long as the base/intent is clearly stated. Often it takes a few pages for that focus to develop and sort itself out.

"Useful subjective information" means nothing more than the sharing of a builders auditory impression. As stated, those comments appear to be welcomed and useful, but just not the primary focus here. I can find no fault with that.

PEACE !

I'm going to stop after this comment because I don't want to pull us off topic further, and to respect the technical focus as proposed. IMHO, there is nothing wrong in attempting to limit the types of responses/posts collected in any particular thread. I, like most members are fine with following the rules as long as the base/intent is clearly stated. Often it takes a few pages for that focus to develop and sort itself out.

"Useful subjective information" means nothing more than the sharing of a builders auditory impression. As stated, those comments appear to be welcomed and useful, but just not the primary focus here. I can find no fault with that.

PEACE !

I'll tell you one thing bob, I've never heard the Blue Coast Collection sound as good as through the Amanero, maybe the exaU2I "sounds" better with PCM , but the DSD implementation of the Amanero is pretty good to my ears, subjective as it is.
I hope this "opinion" doesn't rile anyone who obviously are much more eloquent than me.

PEACE !

NO bob don't do that.:hypno2:

I’ve done most of the ''proscribed'' mods (frowned on by some here) but TBH I’ve not felt it appropriate to post much on that.

I have

Dedicated Salas PSU for the XO and main board and used those products of the devil Teleporters.:witch:

Now in my opinion the Amanero sounds pretty good ATM but really I can just do without the flames so restricted myself to my ‘’local site’’.

Bob our door is open should you care to drop in:innocent:

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

But

My friends Buffalo build got a roasting (unnecessary IMHO) and he was here at my invitation which Put me off of posting subjective stuff and other modding heresy a little.

What I would say is each to their own with their own ears in their own set up.

Oh by the way my Amanero works just fine with my B3, 9023 and 5102 DAC’s.

And more to the point sound great with the Amanero

Last edited:
hi
i use it with above version of the linux and have no problem detecting it and playing . very nice sound also no drop out even with 24/192 files

kp93300
I want to clarify some points .

I recently noted that there is an occasional soft pop sound hidden in the music --something like the scratches in records except that it is very transient and only noted with concentrated audition.
I have 2 amanero boards and they behave the same. The front end is an atom based pc running on salix 64 bit os.

The other issue is that there is some obvious dropout during the first 5 minutes of playing from cold. The drop out disappear after 5 minutes.

The same pc feeds the wave io board from Lucian without any issues.

any ideas what is the issue ?
cheers
kp93300

isnt this a GB thread? didnt someone start a build and application thread already?

the dropouts have little to do with amanero and are widely reported problems with the ESS, there is an entire section of hifiduino devoted to ongoing testing and recording of dropouts. they are related to ripple and transients/noise on ground of the ESS, which can find its way in by a number of ways, one will be USB ground, or any other ground in your system.

5 minute warm up is pretty typical, things that can cause dropouts after that are stuff like fridges starting up, or powerful tools, welders etc if you live in a semi industrial neighborhood.

Last edited:
no, I mean an Amanero build and application thread. I didnt encourage simply because there is already a gallery thread that you hadnt seen.

thats pretty typical, you have a group buy thread where the purchase info, product updates and technical questions that the developer is best to answer in the GB thread, then you have a build and application thread specifically for that device where you can talk about using it, talk about your experiences of using it and yes talk about your impressions of using it...

that way its not a nightmare for Amanero to sort through posts about problems using other devices he doesnt sell with his product, or subjective impressions etc to get to the posts he can help with.

ditto with the application thread, you can there post queries to do with that device and know that the audience reading it has a decent chance of knowing what you are talking about. you can then search that thread and not be faced with hundreds of posts that contain some of the same words.

its a pretty straight forward concept that has been used for years here and many other audio forums. piling it all in here makes the thread useless for either purpose.

Last edited:
Hey qusp, Readibg the beginnings of this Amanero GB thread was what prompted the establishment of that thread. I titled it the way I did as not to scare some folks away. If there is an interest I'll be glad to contact admin again and and try to get the name changed to something more specific to the use of the Amanero.;)