• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Domenico from Amanero PM'd me about my problems, and sent me this link to upgrade my firmware. I haven't done extensive testing, but the "crackles" in the sound with OSX are gone on the first try. I don't think that this has been posted in this thread, and I can't find a link to it on the Amanero homepage.

Amanero Technologies

You have to use Windows to update the firmware.

-Aaron.

great, no win machine in the house and i'm not going to install win on my mac just so I can update... guess it stays uninstalled....maybe one day...

Last edited:
You are probably already aware, but Parallels creates a perfect Win 7 virtual pc with real hooks to the hardware on an OSX box.

Hi qusp

it would be a shame to waste it. how about someone you know with Win?

if not i may know someone in Brisbane you could try:)

just a thought:note:

thanks, yeah thought of both those, probably will go with the second as the first is just as much of a pita as installing win, because you still have to install win. its not a high priority, I already have better USB->PCM/i2s hardware, I only got for DSD tests and have bugger all DSD music, so its no big deal, but its annoying.

cant argue with the pricing if I can make it work, i'll get around to it, but its slipped in the queue

wondering how this stuff made it through beta.... guess the right lights lit up. sims and models have a lot to answer for

Last edited:
thanks, yeah thought of both those, probably will go with the second as the first is just as much of a pita as installing win, because you still have to install win. its not a high priority, I already have better USB->PCM/i2s hardware, I only got for DSD tests and have bugger all DSD music, so its no big deal, but its annoying.

cant argue with the pricing if I can make it work, i'll get around to it, but its slipped in the queue

wondering how this stuff made it through beta.... guess the right lights lit up. sims and models have a lot to answer for

I missed the first GB by a whisker ;) but I’m planning on using it for a battery powered portable DAC at some point. As you say for the price it looks pretty good.

Beta:):)

I guess with new products it can be difficult to get things just right with so many OS/media players etc. to cater for. Some seem to have had problems but that’s par for the course maybe. I’m not sure that the FW update was intended to be in the public domain and maybe just given to individuals if needed. Just a guess on that but I don’t know for sure.

No DSD this end either I’m planning I2S only for now.

For hardware I have another card also.

It would have been nice to have just a little more feedback from the folks that have the Almanero card up and running.

Implementation and subjective thoughts maybe helpful to others.

Hope you find a Win machine soon

Sunshine State

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yes please

It would have been nice to have just a little more feedback from the folks that have the Almanero card up and running.

Agreed, I'm assuming the silence from the Linux folks means a smoother implementation - but not sure. In anticipation, I now have a Ubuntu Studio full install and a working USB boot of another distro. Don't have the card yet but it would be great to hear more from the Linux users.

Last edited:
korben69, with your success, can you give a description of the quality/nature of the sound you are hearing?

Can't really comment as I've got a simple run for this, testing only ;)
My system is as follow :
- Preamp : UGS Balanced/Unbalanced
- Mini-A Balanced (Mid/High passive filter)
- UCD180ST (LM4562 modded) Balanced (Bass passive filter)
- Balanced TP Opus DAC WM8740 + TP SPDIF receiver + TP USB
- SE Subbu's DAC V2.6 (WM8804 SPDIF embeded receiver)
- SE USB DAC's PCM 270x

Playing same 24/96 FLAC files, my subjective ranking result is :
1 - Amanero's stick + Opus WM8741 & SE Subbu's DAC 2.6
2 - Opus WM8741 + SPDIF
3 - Others USB DAC PCM 270x

I can't play 24/96 in source format using Subbu's DAC V2.6 and WM8741 (First is configured in SPDIF mode, the second is boxed...)
Wiring is a "workbench" state, so it can really be inproved and shorten.
I've tested Amanero's stick to se if my WM8741 hardware mode was correct using I2S stream... and it is :D

What I can say is that the "audible audio band" seems to be larger and deeper, very close to what I've got with 16/44 files using DAC V2.6/SPDIF.

Very difficult to compare SE with BAL and, 16/44(48 resampled in Foobar) vs 24/96.
More to come with Balanced I2S Subbu's DAC V3.
This time it will be more accurate

Last edited:
HAL, Maxim (foo_SACD_input creator) has suggested using ASIO4All as a proxy (I used latest beta 2.11). I've just checked it and it does indeed work (Pin7 = 3.3V).

Double proxying is certainly not the most elegant solution but it can do until Domenico releases the true ASIO drivers. Wonder if he'll go for DSD over ASIO or he'll stick to DoP.

For this to work you need to confiure foo_dsd_asio as output device. foo_dsd_asio has to be configured to send the signal to ASIO4All who in turn has to be set up to send its output to the Amanero drivers.

Which pin is it that you are testing? Is it DSDOE?

Thanks,
Aaron

thanks Bob and Korben:cheers::cheers:

really interesting to see how you guys are getting on

i'm planing to use Jriver or Fubar in windows7.

i also run Slacko which i find sounds pretty good if a little clunky interface wise.;) i really must try to get a handle on this Linux thang and mpdvoyager especially.

Korben

you may remember that i'm planing on trying with a 9023 based DAC along with a few other options. So your initial impressions give me a good deal of hope.

really good to hear from you both:wave2:

I have win in virtualbox already so worst comes to worst just bring it to the headfi meet and I'll bring my imac and we'll get it sorted ;)

Or it can obviously be arranged sooner too.

Ok, I have it working well now. I had an old version of audirvana that wouldn't output DSD, I upgraded it and it is working great. I get voltage on the DSD pins.

Since the firmware upgrade, the crackles in the sound have stopped. I am still using the 'best' firmware with my Buffalo II, I haven't tried the default firmware yet.

Hi shoom

Glad to see you here.
I hope it too, I'll go BAL with Subbu's DAC V3 in I2S mode
Maybe a "HomeMade switchbox" to select from I2S and SPDIF sources too ;)

Hi Korben

''Glad to see you here''

Sounds like an interesting project you are starting and it will be interesting to have your thoughts on that once you have it up and running.:note:

For my part I gave up on SPDIF a while ago (well pretty much when I heard what USB I2S could do :)) but that’s a personal choice which may not suite others. I'll be using mine with a Teleporter which gives some isolation from PC - DAC grounds and makes swapping between different DAC USB/I2S combinations a breeze. Again not everones idea of a party but works well for me in my set up to my ears.

One thing I have been wondering.

Has anyone tried stripping the 3V3 LDO and using an external PSU to power the Amanero?

It’s sure one of the things that I’d want to try (but only after running the board for a while to make sure that all is well:cool:). If the jump in SQ I achieved with errr another USB/I2S board is anything to go by it may be worth trying.

OR

May make no difference what so ever.

But

I’m curious.:wave:

greetings,

If anybody tried the iso7640 isolator circuit, are pin 2 and 15 grounded to their appropriate grounds? The schematic does not seem to connect these pins but the datasheet indicates them as ground pins. It would then be easier to solder the .1 cap as these need to be less than 2 mm from the vcc pin.

Hope someone can help.

thanks

yes they are, they give you multiple options for routing as well as providing more effective grounding for the device. if you havent bought it already, I would suggest you get either NVE IL715, or SiliconLabs Si8440 both are pin compatible and have lower skew and propagation delay