• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Joined 2009
Paid Member
if it is of any interest to anyone, the draw from my external 3.3V supply (supplies everything on the module) is around 120 mA for 44.1 khz.

compared to my hiface with 3 seperate salas supplies, (clock, modules and 1.8V), my single battery Combo dont have the dynamics and refinements of the hiface, but it does sound nice, given the size. But again, it is not fair as good supplies really make a difference.

I compared HiFace Salas BiB powered vs Combo Salas BiB Powered & is far better the Amanero so the supplies really make a difference as you stated.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
... regarding a suitable DAC ...

@Bunpei: I've now looked at the DSD1794A from TI and it looks interesting although it seems to me that it requires a bit of register programming to play DSD (right?). Can you help with this - or know where I can buy a microcontroller that has been programmed?

Greetings,

Jesper

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Both my boards arrived in the mail today, and all looks good.

Thanks for the quick and professional GB!

I'll be testing this unit today for jitter, bit perfect reproduction, and overall performance on the AP. I'm a little concerned the lack of isolation will cause the noise floor to be higher than normal, but hopefully all goes well.

Cheers,
Owen

I added myself, too (for one). What I do not understand: Do we get a mail regarding payment, or how shall we do it?

Oh, and I intend to use this with a Buffalo-II. I am a noob, so I only can guess, that that will work? I mean, I have to connect it to the I2S and all is fine? (Sorry for stupid question ;-))

I received the board today, thank you!

I have issues implementing the board with my Buffalo II, and I am curious if anyone has any suggestions. I have the older 80Mhz clock version of the Buffalo II, and use a Volumite. I run OSX Lion on a hackintosh as my source.

I hooked up the Amanero to the Buffalo II with about 8 inches of CAT5 cable, using three sets of twisted pairs, with the white cables soldered to ground, and the colored cables from Amanero to Buffalo- DATA to D2, FSCLK to D1, BCLK to DCLK.

It works, with the ground connected or not connected, but I get an annoying high pitched noise that is constant. I also get what sound like very quick dropouts, short stutters that seem to have no discernable pattern.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had success with this board and the 80Mhz Buffalo II? Do I have to unhook the USB power supply and hook the Amanero up to the 5 volt supply on my Buffalo?

I have an Otto II i2s switcher that I haven't tried yet, perhaps that will magically get rid of the noise. I have been considering getting the Transporter to use with my hacked SACD player with a DSD output, perhaps the transporter would solve the noise problem? There is also different firmware available from Twisted Pear, perhaps that is all I need?

Thank you for your time and help.
Aaron.

what samplerates are you trying to play? also try loosening DPLL bandwidth settings on BII. 8" is a bit long, but I wouldnt have thought it would be enough to make it unusable. unlock issues with some sources were common with early firmware, also try as low tech as it sounds, to let the system warm up for 30 mins or so.

the OTTO wont help

Last edited: