Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95

It seems, everyone went to sleep over here.
Does it mean the peak is reached? If 100% - is the sonic difference between the stock device and the dezired perfect fully upgraded one, then, based on your experience, how much in % of total sonic improvement does each modification add:

1 Stabilization and distribution of Power Supply-?
2 DAC clock (54 - 80 - 100Mhz) -?
3 Processor clock 25Mhz -?
4 Hdmi interface clock 20Mhz -?
5 OP Amps-?

Another question:
Processor and Hdmi clock frequincies should be exactly 25 and 20 Mhz, or say, anything between 24-26 and 19-21 would do?

It would be nice to know just how much value we get out of each mod. That means that a few more people have to try them and report back. I have other projects ATM, but this one is on the todo list.

btw, coris upgraded the processor clock from 25 to 100 and reported an all out improvement, unfortunately he lost just about everything but the USB. Since 95% of the time i only use the USB and the other 5% i could get away with USB it could be interesting to try.

RE op amps, i haven't seen anyone mod these ... where was that post ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nice to see that the thread is waking up a little bit...:)

I fully agree that the idea about quantify the improvements in % or another way of "measurements" is unfortunate. This kind of "informations" are wrong and high subjective. It just doesn`t work like this...
Here, as in this forum in general is about to exchange ideas and objective infos. Once one got an idea from here or elsewhere, and appreciate as intresting, can one only try it himself for have own conclusions. If that one will want to report here the result/own impresions, this will be fortunate for many others, and eventual mod activity will just grow up. Whole can be so more objective, and progress ocure... That is the way I can see the thing can work quite well.
Eventhough some think that the ideas here about BDP95 mods are intresting, I can not see at many are reporting, confirming or not what is to be found it here.
Are someone intresting in how much (%) improvements will be modding so, and so, can one only do it himself (DIY...) to see, hear the results...
Otherwise is only about talking/writing words...

I will try further to point out or answer some of the questions in the lasts posts:

DaveDaGr8 - The existing opamps in the player are of a quite good quality, and that because an very important improvement from changing those out is not happen. I`m working now on an diffrent analogue stage (compleatelly diffrent than existing one). I`m not yuet finish this work...
Astonish improvement come from changing the main processor clock to 100Mhz, but only USB interface is then working. Could be fine if some else can go in to this field, and maybe found out more... The transport is not working on 100Mhz. I did not reaserched yet why... But quality of video and audio is just amazing though USB interface...
Else, using as usually the USB interface to play the files (audio/video) is not the best solution. It work all much better through SATA interface... Even better using SSD powered with 5v from the player own USB...

mimop - HDMI clock have to be exactly that value it is. I`ve tryied 50Mhz and the image is desynchronized. But you can just try another value, and report the result...:)
"How the sound changes with each mod?" Answer: VERY MUCH!
The biggest improvement in audio stage come from using 100Mhz (or more) for the ESS9018 DAC. Second big improvement (both audio & video) come from using a more stable/lower jitter 25Mhz clock for the main processor. Try 1 - 5 ppm clock...
Another big improvement come from working out on the power system. Here is quite much to be done, because this system is the worst in this player...

Last edited:
Ric Schultz

Hi Ric Schultz: I saw a couple of days back on AA you changed your 95 to a lower jitter main clock with significant benefit.
What sort of tolerance have you got down to?

Has Jae Hong Lee said where he gets the .01ppm oscillator he is (hopefully) going to install in his 93 (other than Korea)?

Oppo bdp-93 transport only mods

Hi to all:

I have the 93 and use it for my 5 channel hometheater and its digital output o connect it to my 47 Labs DAC. Sounds pretty good in both counts.

I was wondering if istalling a clock like the one described her on this thread's page 20 if I recall well, would help to better its transport properties.

I was also considering getting the NUforce board for the player but i have not seen too many user reviews on this.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi to all:

I have the 93 and use it for my 5 channel hometheater and its digital output o connect it to my 47 Labs DAC. Sounds pretty good in both counts.

I was wondering if istalling a clock like the one described her on this thread's page 20 if I recall well, would help to better its transport properties.

I was also considering getting the NUforce board for the player but i have not seen too many user reviews on this.

I think it can help to better the transport properties... Actually the processing (in the main processor of 93) of the signals which come out from the transport it self will benefit. More precise and a lower/lowest jitter clock will always help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lee Jaehong
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last night I built linear power module for upgrading OPPO 93 visual and audio performance.

This module is 100 % same size and dimension of original OPPO SPMS power board.

It is very easy to install .

Just plug 3 cables and tighten up 5 bolts as shown in picture.

Contrast is much improved, color became richer, video noise and edge became much cleaned.

audio performance is also improved.

I would say PQ of this unit is 75 from 40 ( original ) , audio is 80 from 60 ( original).

I used coaxial cable for audio connection to my AV peocessor.
JVC X-3 3D projector with 110 " for video evaluation.

please visit my blog at http://blog.paran.com/pcaudio

Ther are some photos.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: