upgrading front stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

new to this forum. Heard a lot of good things about diy. I'm looking to upgrade my front stage and needed some feedback from you'll on possible choices. 1-1.2K tops. Here's what I'm running currently.

HU : Pio p880
Fronts : Polk momo's
4ch : Polk PA 500.4
Sub : Polk momo 12"
Mono : pa400.1
Stinger rca's and kicker speaker cables.

I guess different folks would focus in on different aspects of sound. That would be the core of the sound they like. For me it's balance. Sound that is balanced, transparent and lifelike is what I aim for while tuning. Tonality is critical.

I'm stuck between choice of speaker. I'm down to 2 and I can't decide. I'm stuck between the sr's and the mille mlk2. Perhaps not a fair comparison since the mille's are like $500 more but I just loved the sound of both.

These two and the morel elates were the pick of the lot I heard. The elates are around the same price as the mille's. In the price range similar to the sr's nothing came even remotely close. I heard the CDT's, Focals, Rainbows. While all these are good speakers the perfect balance was missing. They were either a bit bright or had a bit too much at the lower end. IMHO. Mind you I'm no expert.

The elates are not in the final shortlist because to run them well, I would need to upgrade my 4ch amp to something that puts out 150-180wpc. That would put this upgrade beyond my reach. In terms of sound quality the elates were amazing. Perhaps the pick of the lot. I really wanted to hear the scans, but couldnt find anyone who carries them here.

Try the DLS's Ultimate series or UP series very natural and neutral sound.Google and you should be able to find. They are my personal favorites. I've tried the Morels,the tweeters were nice but the woofers lack dyamics. Focal,the tweeters neeeded some control but butter, the mids lacked power handling.

If I was going to do a off the self front-stage DLS would be my choice.
If I had higher expectations its DIY all the way.....Dynaudio,Usher,Scan,

Keep in mind that when you get to this level of performance, how the speakers are integrated into your system can overwhelm the difference between models.

I personally don't believe you can adequately A/B them in a showroom unless tremendous care is taken, and certainly not in listening from one car to another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.