upgrading crossover caps

OK i don't get it :( I have been following this bypass thread and looked a little in archives.

Why would you go through all the trouble to get a value that works , then insert ANOTHER cap into the circuit that is not even related to the actual value required ? .1uF is not going to affect the circuit much if at all that will be noticable. What does this do ? I am sure there is a reason but i dont see it. :confused:

Okay, I am going to explain this as non technical as I can.

All caps are energy storage devices. The larger the cap, the larger the amount of energy they store. This is why really large ones are coupled to the power supply of amplifiers.

That being said. Larger valued caps have a slower charge and discharge rate than really small ones.

In other words, the signal is sent to the cap, there is a raise time (charge) and a fall time (discharge). There is a delayed effect as the signal passes through the cap.

The rate of discharge is slower than the original signal coming in it that not all of the energy is immediately released from the cap.

The sonic result is a slight smearing as notes tend to trail off more slowly than they should. This is real clear to hear in the highs.

When you by-passing the large cap with a small value by-pass cap, the small one shorts the larger one and discharges the larger cap through the smaller one. Thus the two now have a discharge rate of the small cap but the capacitance of the larger one.

Sonic differences are cleaner upper end. Detail level is much improved as well because of less smearing. Ever hear someone say that something has Blacker Blacks? This means that there is more dead space between notes.

This is not an expensive tweak. Try if for yourself and see.

Even if the cap quality is great on the main cap, there is still a noticable effect.

Danny said:
Okay, I am going to explain this as non technical as I can.

It is worth noting, as well, that this is not really a bootleg solution as mentioned above. There are some who think that multiple caps leads to phase distortion. However, the multiple caps solution is liked by enough people in the know that they created the multicap, which is essentially several parallel caps in one package.

So what do you think of these then. I have not seen the like although i know here they came from. Stupidly expensive. The picture sucks as i never bought a camera yet. They say

DELTAFILM
"LP"
LP9A1C505J
5.0 200 V
DEARBORN

These are completely incased in metal with glass ends.

Going to go back to the electronics store. I vaguely recall what appeared to be hi end caps but really small so i ignored them.

Attachments

• awesomecaps.jpg
    awesomecaps.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 510
v good work Danny. I shall certainly try your suggestions as from what I here it is a widely used concept in other areas as well such as PSU supplies.

Have you tried the Mundorf series as well? they are equally priced as the hovland musicaps and I guess of the same rank!?

Have you tried the Mundorf series as well? they are equally priced as the hovland musicaps and I guess of the same rank!?

The guy that owns Sonic Craft and is the designer of all the Sonicap capacitors is also a Mundorf distributor.

He had really good things to say about them and really likes several of their lines. High praise coming from one of the best capacitor designers around.

By accident I came across this thread.

Just to let all of you know it is as important, if not more important, to replace any wirewound resistor in series with the tweeter with a carbon composite type resistor. This trick improves the highs as much as replacing an elcap with a non-inductive Mundorf Mcap Supreme or similar ;)

Does any one remember Zilch ? Unfortunately, he passed away some time ago. Zilch felt that Caps do sound different, but he felt that it was the Cap TYPE that mattered, not the brand of Cap. He used Bennic Poly Caps, and felt they were just as good as any other Poly Cap. He did feel that Poly Caps sounded different from Mylar, and different from Electrolytic Caps. IME, Poly Caps are the brightest, Mylar are in the middle, and Electrolytic Caps are the least bright, except for Paper In Oil. Both Paper In Oil, and most Electrolytics are higher in ESR then Mylar or Poly. Perhaps this explains it ?