• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Upgrading a Beard P100 tubeamp

Hi Simon.
Thank you for referring to us.

The P100 evolved over a few years from its original concept, the P80; when the USA wanted a more powerful amplifier and hence the MK1 and MK2.
Depending on the age, you will see major changes to the biasing and even the driver circuitry, so it is important that photographs be sent to me
chris@beardaudio.com together with the serial number for me to identify.

I will also warn people, this amplifier is one that will bite; it has up to 600V per channel and can be very dangerous to everyone including the cat, so if you intend working on this you need to have special equipment and gear to protect and inform you.

The schematic, because of its generic nature, only applies to the MK2.
DO NOT RELY ON IT.

Be very careful this amplifier can kill you, if you do not feel qualified do not go inside.
Yes, I know it is tempting to go inside but I am sure your family would not be happy with you in hospital or even dead.
We are not liable for any damage or loss of life if you disregard our instuctions.

Chris

Visually the mk2 has a gold stripe around the pront panel and has mk2 in gold writing on the front panel as well. The mk1 text on the front is light blue whereas the mk2 is all gold.
Regarding the silver P100 I have seen them only in pictures. There was one sold on ebay lately. I do not know if these are originals or re-builds made by someone. I have not seen any reference to the silver model in any of the formal literature.

Functionally the difference between the mk1 and mk2 is minimal with one tube change and an upgrade to the speaker connectors on the back. aside from that they are identical.