Upgrade path for a basic fullrange plus sub system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A sealed box and the 2nd order rolloff is often used as the hi-pass on a satelite.You usually want to target a butterworth Q (and in this case a 90 Hz F3)… that is 7.6 litre unstuffed.

dave

Attachments

• pluvia7-sealed.gif
    pluvia7-sealed.gif
    83.5 KB · Views: 127
Before going through all of this, was there ever a pair of speakers that sounded great in this room? If so, what were they?

I also don't want to say the FF105WK speakers sound awful, like I said in the initial post they just sound a little harsh at times but sometimes I think these speakers sound great in this room. As it is this setup was a huge improvement over what I had before.

I think you should try these Fostexes with some other amp perhaps. Try some tube amp if you can borrow one, or some Solid state class A like the ones from Nelson Pass. You would be surprised to find out that "the harshness" actually may come from the amp, not the speakers...

Vix, if I'm not putting words in his mouth, I think spiggs is not in the market to upgrade the front or middle of his system - presently, at least. From my experience over the years, his Onkyo is probably not the Achilles heal of this system. The FF wk series does retain some of that signature Fostex "forward" presentation, although not as brashly as say the FE166 or others.

spiggs - since you specifically asked, I've been using the Pluvia7s for a couple of months now as front height surround channel in my 7.1 system - which is all Mark Audio drivers except for the subs. These are not a sealed box, but rather one of DD's vented "milli-onkens" with a model number I've no chance of remembering off the top of my head. Dave - have those drawings be published?

The room in question is approx 340ft^2, with is pretty close to yours, with the prime lazy boy listening distance of 10ft. Using the surround receiver's bass management, I set the periphery surround channels to 100Hz, and they work just fine up to the maximum level at which I ever listen - which if it translates to anything usable, is displayed as between -40 to -35 on the "THX relative" OSD for volume.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chris is using mPlu-Ken7 (yes that is an allusion to Frank Zappa). The standard millSize box we adapt for use with many drivers.

We usually put out a single plan from the paid planset for free non-commercail use, usually a Classic Golden Ratio box. The milliSize box is drawn and part of the paid planet.

dave

Vix, if I'm not putting words in his mouth, I think spiggs is not in the market to upgrade the front or middle of his system - presently, at least. From my experience over the years, his Onkyo is probably not the Achilles heal of this system. The FF wk series does retain some of that signature Fostex "forward" presentation, although not as brashly as say the FE166 or others.

spiggs - since you specifically asked, I've been using the Pluvia7s for a couple of months now as front height surround channel in my 7.1 system - ....

Thanks for the info, good to know what the other proven options are. Correct that I am not looking to upgrade the receiver/amp. I would love to build myself a tube amp pre amp combo and try it out however not for this. You can also tell by my selection of components that my budget is pretty thin plus bottom line is this system sits in my living room with the receiver inside a closed cabinet. Ease of use is a top priority and my wife and daughter should be able to punch the on button and spin a record, cd, or stream without the worry of multiple components or excessive heat.

This has all been great info and I found an app for my phone today that gave me a basic 10 band eq. My daughter and I spent an hour playing with the settings. She of course can hear the highs much better than I can but we both agreed that it sounded best bumping down the 8kHz band a good amount and a bit less in the 10kHz range. Very listenable.

So given that I think I will first try the mods as outlined by Dave to tame the high frequencies one at a time and see if that provides an improvement. Step one I purchased the Zig glue today and some brushes, a 3mm and 6mm wide brush. I read 2 thin cotes on the backside of the cone with a small brush at the point where the cone attaches to the rubber surround. So how small is small? Should I use the 3 or 6mm brush?

...I set the periphery surround channels to 100Hz, and they work just fine up to the maximum level at which I ever listen ....

Other options question. Without going with a DSP or other line level/receiver based management how would I implement a speaker level high pass filter at 100Hz. Looking at the impedance curve of the FF105WK around 100Hz it is at around 24 ohm and heading upwards. How do you compensate for this and create a high pass filter? Seems like all the crossover calculators assume a constant impedance.

Other options question. Without going with a DSP or other line level/receiver based management how would I implement a speaker level high pass filter at 100Hz. Looking at the impedance curve of the FF105WK around 100Hz it is at around 24 ohm and heading upwards. How do you compensate for this and create a high pass filter? Seems like all the crossover calculators assume a constant impedance.

A very good tool, and free, is XSim.

You can exactly tailor your XO to your drivers, cabinet design and their response in your own room, instead of guessing with online calculators.

XSim free crossover designer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.